Jump to content

How significant is the return of Carey Price to the Habs?


 Share

Recommended Posts

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its important to play a few games down the stretch so we know if he is good to go for next year

 

Off season planning with an injured goalie and not knowing what is happiening cap wise is hard 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously the better he plays is all the better and nice story.

Or he may find out, like Rask that he is simply done?

So goes without saying, better to test his game (knee?) before off-season for sure, given his cap-hit in salary cap world and next couple season plan for new Mgmt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's certainly important for Carey's mental health so he knows if he has a path going forward to continue playing. It's important for the Habs so they can plan the future with or without Carey.  These are no pressure games so it's a great opportunity to test it out.  It's not significant for this year (other than how it may affect their draft position if he plays well) but significant to help determine a path going forward for both Carey and the team.

 

I am guessing he is playing tonight? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's certainly important for Carey's mental health so he knows if he has a path going forward to continue playing. It's important for the Habs so they can plan the future with or without Carey.  These are no pressure games so it's a great opportunity to test it out.  It's not significant for this year (other than how it may affect their draft position if he plays well) but significant to help determine a path going forward for both Carey and the team.

 

I am guessing he is playing tonight? 

yes he is

 

I am so excited to see him play. I 💗Price :gohabsgo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is VERY important for Price ... but not so much the Habs ... if he pitches shutouts every game that barely makes him more trade-able, even if he were to waive his NMC/NTC ... nor does it in any way PROVE he will be great next season ... similarly, if he sucks it doesn't prove he will suck next season ... but it likely greatly reduces the slim chances of him being traded ... and the knee holding up in such a small sample size after months and months of preparation doesn't prove it can survive a full season, even with a managed workload.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Price isn’t going anywhere. 

 

The only question is whether he can still play, or whether injuries have done him in. 😢

 

Hopefully he can be reasonably healthy and have some fruitful twilight years, retiring on something like his own terms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think it is VERY important for Price ... but not so much the Habs ... if he pitches shutouts every game that barely makes him more trade-able, even if he were to waive his NMC/NTC ... nor does it in any way PROVE he will be great next season ... similarly, if he sucks it doesn't prove he will suck next season ... but it likely greatly reduces the slim chances of him being traded ... and the knee holding up in such a small sample size after months and months of preparation doesn't prove it can survive a full season, even with a managed workload.

 

 

But Management has to make decisions based on the information they have at the time.  Will Price start the season with us? Is an important question. 5 or 6 games will help with decision making over the off season. As far as trading him goes, there is next to no chance that happens imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Price isn’t going anywhere. 

 

The only question is whether he can still play, or whether injuries have done him in. 😢

 

Hopefully he can be reasonably healthy and have some fruitful twilight years, retiring on something like his own terms.

 

I think you are likely right, tough contract to move, a chance to move it if he can prove he is healthy and in good form and the Habs eat a chunk of his contract and there is a team out there that really needs a goalie (maybe the Oilers next year if they go out early in the playoffs again). 

 

My question is, if he can't get back to being the old Carey Price, how long will he hang around to collect his pay cheque? 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

My question is, if he can't get back to being the old Carey Price, how long will he hang around to collect his pay cheque?

 

He has four years left on his deal so I'll say four years.  This isn't a Shea Weber situation where there's minimal money remaining (relative to the AAV at least); his total annual payout between salary and signing bonus never dips below $7.5 million.  He's not walking away from that even if he struggles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He has four years left on his deal so I'll say four years.  This isn't a Shea Weber situation where there's minimal money remaining (relative to the AAV at least); his total annual payout between salary and signing bonus never dips below $7.5 million.  He's not walking away from that even if he struggles.

 

It is a shame teams can't insure contracts for the benefit of the player rather than themselves ... it might make it easier for players to retire ***IF*** they can no longer play (***no*** prediction/ expectation/judgement about Price's future) ... I can't imagine that players who can physically no longer play feel good about being an anvil around their team's cap for a few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

 

He has four years left on his deal so I'll say four years.  This isn't a Shea Weber situation where there's minimal money remaining (relative to the AAV at least); his total annual payout between salary and signing bonus never dips below $7.5 million.  He's not walking away from that even if he struggles.

 

Brutal.

 

I would like to think that a player of Price’s greatness and stature would leave gracefully rather than flail around as a had-been for four years. 

 

But I recognize that it’s ultimately a business.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he wants to walk away cause he can't do it anymore (and there is nothing to suggest that is what is in his mind, but just if it was), he could sit on LTIR for the 4 years.  This would have some effect on our cap but is pretty minimal with a good capologist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If he wants to walk away cause he can't do it anymore (and there is nothing to suggest that is what is in his mind, but just if it was), he could sit on LTIR for the 4 years.  This would have some effect on our cap but is pretty minimal with a good capologist. 

 

This is something I’m not clear about. If you’re on LTIR, don’t you have to actually be injured? I mean, he’s suffered so much damage that he probably could make a plausible claim. But does the NHL not have any oversight mechanism about this? Or is it a “nudge nudge wink wink” thing between the NHL and NHLPA to ensure that de facto retired players can still get paid a full salary? 

 

(I’ve heard rumours reported, for example, that Weber is not really injured to the extent that it would end his career. Apparently guys on Tampa cannot believe that the guy they played in the Finals was truly washed up).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

This is something I’m not clear about. If you’re on LTIR, don’t you have to actually be injured? I mean, he’s suffered so much damage that he probably could make a plausible claim. But does the NHL not have any oversight mechanism about this? Or is it a “nudge nudge wink wink” thing between the NHL and NHLPA to ensure that de facto retired players can still get paid a full salary? 

 

(I’ve heard rumours reported, for example, that Weber is not really injured to the extent that it would end his career. Apparently guys on Tampa cannot believe that the guy they played in the Finals was truly washed up).

 

He's a goalie who has had multiple knee injuries at this point.  Could you get a doctor to sign off on the fact that the knee injuries limit his ability to play goalie at the NHL level?  100%.

 

It doesn't have to debilitate him to the fact it effects his day to day life... it merely has to debilitate enough that you can't play in the NHL.  Given how hard on the knees it is to be an NHL goalie, i'm sure there is enough damage that a doctor would sign off on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

(I’ve heard rumours reported, for example, that Weber is not really injured to the extent that it would end his career. Apparently guys on Tampa cannot believe that the guy they played in the Finals was truly washed up).

 

There are guys in the league office who feel that way as well as Montreal's prior attempt to have him ruled permanently disabled (where they could announce the end of his playing career like Chicago did with Hossa, Seabrook, and Shaw in the past) was denied.

 

45 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's a goalie who has had multiple knee injuries at this point.  Could you get a doctor to sign off on the fact that the knee injuries limit his ability to play goalie at the NHL level?  100%.

 

It doesn't have to debilitate him to the fact it effects his day to day life... it merely has to debilitate enough that you can't play in the NHL.  Given how hard on the knees it is to be an NHL goalie, i'm sure there is enough damage that a doctor would sign off on it. 

 

There's also the hip issue which Stephane Waite noted on his media parade after getting fired.  In his comments, he noted that will be a permanent issue to manage.  The combination of that plus knee trouble would be enough to be LTIR'ed at least if needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

... There's also the hip issue which Stephane Waite noted on his media parade after getting fired.  In his comments, he noted that will be a permanent issue to manage.  The combination of that plus knee trouble would be enough to be LTIR'ed at least if needed.

Agreed ... but IMO the standard for LTIR should be physically unable to be cleared to play ... not, physically unable to play well ... it can be a delicate distinction at times.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... but IMO the standard for LTIR should be physically unable to be cleared to play ... not, physically unable to play well ... it can be a delicate distinction at times.

 

Here is the thing... you shouldnt be forced to choose to play or not get paid if a hockey injury is compromising you to the point it puts you at further risk of injury to play with it.

 

If you cant keep up to NHL speed, you are atrisk of hurting yourself. Its a contact sport. This is true of players but even more true of a goalie who also has pucks being fired at him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Here is the thing... you shouldnt be forced to choose to play or not get paid if a hockey injury is compromising you to the point it puts you at further risk of injury to play with it.

 

If you cant keep up to NHL speed, you are atrisk of hurting yourself. Its a contact sport. This is true of players but even more true of a goalie who also has pucks being fired at him.

 

I agree ... but would argue that if the physical impairment actually endangers the player's safety then they shouldn't be cleared ... but there are instances when a player is perfectly capable of playing safely, just not playing well ... that is the distinction I am raising.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... but IMO the standard for LTIR should be physically unable to be cleared to play ... not, physically unable to play well ... it can be a delicate distinction at times.

 

It's a tough situation - just because a player can play through an injury if they choose to doesn't mean that they should have to.  There are plenty of players who play through injuries that a doctor wouldn't clear them to play through - see Weber, Price, and Byron from the playoffs as examples.  Someone could try to play through an injury, struggle, and then decide with the doctor that not playing is the proper and safest course of action.  By going with a very strict definition like you suggest, they'd be forced to try to keep playing through the injury.  Of course, with a loose definition, it's open to being abused.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well if his first game back showed us anything,  its on a good team needing a goaltender Price would put them over the top and potentially help them win a cup. On a bad team he isn't helping 💩.

 

So those team that need a goaltender like Price.

 

Colorado 

Toronto 

Edmonton 

Pittsburgh 

Caps

Florida 

 

These team's if they don't win a cup in the next 2 years because of their goaltenders will be in the market for a guy like Price.

 

Now the problem cap space. Contract length won't be an issue since it will only be with in 3-2 years left depends on when we trade him. So I would tell those team's a 1st round pick a 2nd round pick and prospect for Price and we take back the max amount of his contract that we can. Price at $5.5mil for 2-3 years these team's would jump all over that. 

 

Now with Florida they have BOBROVSKY big contract so you can take them off the list because I would rather keep Price then take on Bobrovsky contract over Price contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Well if his first game back showed us anything,  its on a good team needing a goaltender Price would put them over the top and potentially help them win a cup. On a bad team he isn't helping 💩.

 

So those team that need a goaltender like Price.

 

Colorado 

Toronto 

Edmonton 

Pittsburgh 

Caps

Florida 

 

These team's if they don't win a cup in the next 2 years because of their goaltenders will be in the market for a guy like Price.

 

Now the problem cap space. Contract length won't be an issue since it will only be with in 3-2 years left depends on when we trade him. So I would tell those team's a 1st round pick a 2nd round pick and prospect for Price and we take back the max amount of his contract that we can. Price at $5.5mil for 2-3 years these team's would jump all over that. 

 

Now with Florida they have BOBROVSKY big contract so you can take them off the list because I would rather keep Price then take on Bobrovsky contract over Price contract. 

 

Think it is premature to try and assess Prices' trade value in a year or two when we really have no idea what he is now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The closer Price gets to the end of his contract, the more likely he will be to agree to a trade to a contender, and the more likely a contender would be to take on the contract at the deadline. But how much value are you going to get back in a deadline trade for a 37-year-old Price? And the advantage to the Habs of trading him diminishes the closer we get to the end of his term. That’s the paradox: the more tradable he becomes, the less point there is in trading him.

 

And remember: an expansion team could have had him for free. And passed.

 

I think it was Gally who recently said that Price is a “Montreal Canadien down to his bones.” He probably wants to play out his career here. And it’s up to him.

 

So, put it all together and it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that he will retire a Hab, unless he asks to be traded to a contender in his final season or two…assuming he remains healthy enough to play for the duration of his contract, which is doubtful.

 

Instead of fantasizing about trading him, IMHO fans would do better to accept that we are watching the twilight of the career of the greatest Montreal Canadien of his generation: one of the all-time great Habs, and in all probability the first Hab who will have his number retired without winning a Cup. That he will (probably) retire a Hab should be a source of comfort to us. He would be an old-school hockey great living out the old-school story of retiring with the team that drafted him, after a distinguished career. Nothing wrong with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We should of traded Price and Weber when Bergevin made the decision to retool. When you have a Price and Weber on  your team that can still help you win now you don't rebuild or retool you build a winner around them. We would of got a lot more value for them. But now we have lost out and hopefully we can get a good return on Price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

We should of traded Price and Weber when Bergevin made the decision to retool. When you have a Price and Weber on  your team that can still help you win now you don't rebuild or retool you build a winner around them. We would of got a lot more value for them. But now we have lost out and hopefully we can get a good return on Price. 

 

We should have traded our best players before we had a run to the Stanley Cup Final, is one heck of a take. 

 

Also when?  

 

When was it that we were trading them, and teams had cap space to take them?  Any point after the start of the Pandemic when the salary cap stopped increasing is pretty much a non starter....

 

So how many years ago were we doing this?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...