How significant is the return of Carey Price to the Habs?

alfredoh2009

Interesting comment that he wants to finish playing well and not being a burden ... MAY suggest that down the road he won't hang around if he feels his game may be slipping, even if there is term remaining.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

We should have traded our best players before we had a run to the Stanley Cup Final, is one heck of a take. 

Also when?  

When was it that we were trading them, and teams had cap space to take them?  Any point after the start of the Pandemic when the salary cap stopped increasing is pretty much a non starter....

So how many years ago were we doing this?

Yeah, Bergevin did it in a weird, roundabout way, but the bottom line is that he delivered a Cup finalist within the window of Carey Price and Shea Weber. That was the promise of the “retool” and, against all odds, he managed to pull it off. 

That, after all, is why you have core players on your team. To get in a position to win the Stanley Cup. We came within three games of it.

You can argue quite plausibly that we got very lucky not to be saddled with Shea Weber’s ridiculous contract for the next six years or whatever obscene number it is. Yep, we got away with one there for sure. But the bottom line is, we reached the Cup Final and managed to ditch Weber’s cap hit all in the same calendar year. So it worked out.

The real problem is that MB had no plan or pivot to rebuild following the Run of 21. But we’re there now. Had we done it in 2018 instead of 2022, the only difference is we’d have missed a run to the Stanley Cup Finals. And also we’d have a regime that was a proven failure at player development in charge of the rebuild.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... managed to ditch Weber’s cap hit all in the same calendar year ...

Did I miss something ... Weber's $7,857,143 AAV sits on the cap for the next 4 seasons unless HuGo manages to trade it.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Did I miss something ... Weber's $7,857,143 AAV sits on the cap for the next 4 seasons unless HuGo manages to trade it.

While you are technically correct, LTIR allows the team to exceed the cap in rough proportion to the cap hit of the player on LTIR. In effect, Weber’s contract is no longer more than a minor cap constraint. https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/LTIR

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

While you are technically correct, LTIR allows the team to exceed the cap in rough proportion to the cap hit of the player on LTIR. In effect, Weber’s contract is no longer more than a minor cap constraint. https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/LTIR

It's a bit more than a minor one which is why Montreal's capologist went public about wanting it off the books and why Hughes has been very open about wanting to move it.

41 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's a bit more than a minor one which is why Montreal's capologist went public about wanting it off the books and why Hughes has been very open about wanting to move it.

Well - how much actual cap space is Weber eating while on LTIR? It’s much lower than his normal hit (which is the main point) but Google is not being forthcoming about the actual cap ‘hit.’

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well - how much actual cap space is Weber eating while on LTIR? It’s much lower than his normal hit (which is the main point) but Google is not being forthcoming about the actual cap ‘hit.’

Technically, his cap hit is the exact same, they just get the ability to spend to spend close to his AAV (it's AAV minus cap space at the time of placement).  But that's not the issue.  I won't get too much into the details but there are two key issues with being in LTIR:

1) Inability to 'bank' cap space during the season.  If a team is under the cap, those savings accrue, creating cap space to bring in a more expensive (ideally, better) player at the deadline.  Right now, that's not a big issue but sometime over the next four years, they're going to be trying to win.

2) Bonus overage penalties.  The Habs have a seven-figure penalty coming their way next season for bonuses hit by players on their entry-level deals.  With zero cap space (different than LTIR space) as a result of being in LTIR all season, those bonuses will be deducted off Montreal's spending limit in 2022-23.  (Caufield gets a big jump in his bonuses for next season so this isn't going to be just a this year problem.)

With Price being out as long as he was this season, they had no choice - the LTIR route had to be the way they went.  But these two are big concerns in terms of restricting what limited flexibility they have next summer and Weber's continued presence will continue to create those limitations.

Engels, on the topic of this thread:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/loss-to-wild-remaining-canadiens-games-determinants-in-carey-prices-future/

Who knows what, if anything, this means ... could have been in Carey's plans all along.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

For four games ... seems unlikely ... he did put the work in all season but it generally goes to someone who not only fought back to be able to play but also had a successful season ... Ryan Getzlaf may be sentimental favourite amongst voters, Andrew Ladd went from playing 1 AHL game in 20-21 to being a semi-regular in 21-22 for Arizona ... and those are just the first two names on the list.

3 hours ago, huzer said:

Well poop, a visit with the doctor on his knee, again. That's a shame.

This news seems quite ominous to me, but I haven't noticed all that much media uptake. Either it's just a predictable part of the overall healing cycle, or - the opposite scenario - there is a desire to be respectful of Price and avoid speculating on what may be a fairly grim development. 

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Normally the $31.25 million in REAL DOLLARS left on his contract would make me doubt actual/official retirement ... but, this gives me some caution ...

59 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I can't see him retiring if it winds up heading down that road.  Yes, he said he doesn't want to be a burden but that's a lot of money to walk away from.

It is a lot of money but I don't think Carey Price is the kind of guy to hang around and collect a pay cheque if he is only going to be a shadow of his former self. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It is a lot of money but I don't think Carey Price is the kind of guy to hang around and collect a pay cheque if he is only going to be a shadow of his former self. 

The issue would be whether he goes on "permanent" LTIR or simply hangs 'em up.

I agree that Carey Price would never settle for hanging around as a mediocre or marginal player, just to collect his coin.

One X factor here is his mental health. I could see where it would be better psychologically to make a clean break and retire. But the eternal purgatory of LTIR seems the likeliest outcome.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The issue would be whether he goes on "permanent" LTIR or simply hangs 'em up.

I agree that Carey Price would never settle for hanging around as a mediocre or marginal player, just to collect his coin.

One X factor here is his mental health. I could see where it would be better psychologically to make a clean break and retire. But the eternal purgatory of LTIR seems the likeliest outcome.

Taking him absolutely at his word, LTIR is still a burden as it screws ups cap management.

• 2 months later...

Price seem to be on the road to recovering his health

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-dominos-fall-following-price-health-update/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Price seem to be on the road to recovering his health

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-dominos-fall-following-price-health-update/

Perhaps, hopefully, but we won't really know for sure until he laces up the pads and gets some real game action in. 

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps, hopefully, but we won't really know for sure until he laces up the pads and gets some real game action in. 

I am ambivalent as should he per-chance return to his top form he could seriously screw up the 2023 draft for the rebuild