April 16, Caps vs Habs

Neech

BRnr_59EaekgTniu0jSk0qf2HnCR6Gkh7om5Fc8B

Hoping for another respectable regulation loss in this one, albeit with a bit more scoring (and an Arizona win). Can't see the Habs managing 40 shots a second night in a row. Maybe Harris draws back in, and Suzy hits 20 goals?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DON said:

Hope Harris is back in lineup.

(would anyone miss Wideman?)

Dom L's player stats in the Athletic actually rank his market value as second-highest of all the Habs' regular D-men. I do think their model overvalues offence, though, and undervalues defensive attributes. But that 25 point total is almost twice that of Savard (the next best now that Chiarot was traded) which brings up his value in Dom's model.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-12-at-11.36.27-AM.pn

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Dom L's player stats in the Athletic actually rank his market value as second-highest of all the Habs' regular D-men. I do think their model overvalues offence, though, and undervalues defensive attributes. But that 25 point total is almost twice that of Savard (the next best now that Chiarot was traded) which brings up his value in Dom's model.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-12-at-11.36.27-AM.pn

Given how few times am we’re interested in signing him, or trading for him, Id say it’s a pretty flawed evaluation/rating system - and that’s before you even consider the eye test of simply watching Wideman play.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He has done well in the O-zone.

Widemans play was pretty much, as advertised.

50 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. He's been by far our best D-man on power play.

He could fit on a good team with a deep D corps where he can be shielded a bit.  The challenge for the Habs is that they have to shield him but don't have the defensive talent around him to maximize it.  Less minutes for Wideman equals more minutes for someone that shouldn't be getting more minutes.  With likely a weaker back end next season, can Wideman still fit on it?

I am trying to watch how the wings play without the puck

Caufield seems to be cheating more than Hoffman, which is probably my mistake in how I am looking at it

Why is Gallagher skating so much to cover for others?

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He could fit on a good team with a deep D corps where he can be shielded a bit.  The challenge for the Habs is that they have to shield him but don't have the defensive talent around him to maximize it.  Less minutes for Wideman equals more minutes for someone that shouldn't be getting more minutes.  With likely a weaker back end next season, can Wideman still fit on it?

Isnt he, kinda, in Barron's way? Or should Barron likely start in Laval?

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not if Petry is traded this summer

Neither would be top 4...or they might be on a very weak top 4 i guess.

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Weaker ... particularly less experienced (Petry has not been stellar this year, either, so the downgrade is really from Chiarot).

My expectation is that they'll sign him -- but that they'll trade him with the right offer. But at this point I think he has actual non-zero trade value, if signed to a reasonable contract.

Barron could play top 4 on a weak team

I want the Habs to sign an UFA RD to let Barron play in the AHL to start the season, but I seem to be on the minority wanting that

Caufield should have covered Ovechkin on that goal

but he is still Lear big and has a great attitude 

There is always next year to learn that