April 16, Caps vs Habs

Neech

Just now, DON said:

Poehling on fire (relatively), 2g in last 3 games.

late to the party and now trying to sabotage the loosing streak ... what a bum !

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Caufield should have covered Ovechkin on that goal

Caufield makes some excellent defensive plays, more than I would have expected. But I think D-zone coverage is not ingrained in him yet. Yeah, he was close. He's not nearly big enough to push Ovechkin around but he certainly could have attempted to get his stick on the puck and disrupt Ovechkin's shot.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Isnt he, kinda, in Barron's way? Or should Barron likely start in Laval?

I'd have Barron in Laval.  He's not ready for full-time NHL duty yet and there's no point in rushing him.

42 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

My expectation is that they'll sign him -- but that they'll trade him with the right offer. But at this point I think he has actual non-zero trade value, if signed to a reasonable contract.

He had zero trade value less than a month ago despite making the league minimum.  I don't think he's going to have a lot of trade value on a new deal either.

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He had zero trade value less than a month ago despite making the league minimum.  I don't think he's going to have a lot of trade value on a new deal either.

Did he have zero value? He was not traded, but we don't know how he was valued.

If we put him on waivers and he clears, then we will know that he has zero value.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Did he have zero value? He was not traded, but we don't know how he was valued.

If we put him on waivers and he clears, then we will know that he has zero value.

If he had 7th round value, i'm sure that the Habs would have taken the extra asset

Montembault with a nice ~ .800 save percentage kinda night.  Can't win too many like that, even if a bunch of the goals include defensive mistakes. 

You can't give up 2 goals on every 10 shots. 

And this is why I don't want him as a #2 goalie. 

43 minutes ago, DON said:

Poehling scores again! Nicee!

Booo! Booo!

or maybe I should shut up, it seems to have the wrong effect on him

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If he had 7th round value, i'm sure that the Habs would have taken the extra asset

Exactly.  Considering he's preventing Harris from playing right now (or Clague who is young enough to still be a prospect), any asset would have made sense.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm honestly still surprised there are some who think he's going to suddenly improve enough to get to that level.  He has never been nor will he be worthy of a full-time #2 spot in the NHL.  He's a competent #3 who if you had to use him for a few games might pull out a win or two (and that's useful to have) but that's as far as he's going to get.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Montembault with a nice ~ .800 save percentage kinda night.  Can't win too many like that, even if a bunch of the goals include defensive mistakes. 

You can't give up 2 goals on every 10 shots. 

at this rate, he may get the goalie coach fired

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Did you have anyone specific in mind? 

yes, it is already in the trade thread and other threads

it is painful to hear Patrick Lalime on TVA find excuses for Montembeault's poor performance: he was screened, his defensemen didn't clear the front, the puck deviated, etc.

He is playing like one of those practice goalies they get sometimes

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Romanov and Savard on the ice for five of the six even-strength Caps goals. I think they were on for most of the ones against Columbus, too. Is Romanov getting tired?

Perhaps. Romanov plays such a physical game that I can see him getting a little worn out late in the year. 

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it is painful to hear Patrick Lalime on TVA find excuses for Montembeault's poor performance: he was screened, his defensemen didn't clear the front, the puck deviated, etc.

He is playing like one of those practice goalies they get sometimes

I always watch through a goalie's eyes as I play goalie (at the beer league level) so maybe I pay more attention to the defensive faux pas. The Capitals have elite forwards, and the Habs didn't cover them well. And there were deflections that could only be saved with luck.

Not to say that he shouldn't have saved some of the others. But they gave up 23 (!) high-danger scoring chances, as compared to 9 last night. That's normally going to result in significantly more scoring.

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Romanov and Savard on the ice for five of the six even-strength Caps goals. I think they were on for most of the ones against Columbus, too. Is Romanov getting tired?

I don’t know if he is getting tired or not, but having a guy who should be a third pairing dman as your partner certainly doesn’t help. Our D sucks, we have some promising kids, but really don’t have any dmen that would be legit top pairing dmen at this stage of their career. Hell, we don’t even have a legit second pair on D. That’s why I think it’s delusional for some to think that we can make a couple of moves over the summer and be a playoff team next year. We had a guy in goal who hid how bad our D was for a long time. We don’t have that luxury anymore.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t know if he is getting tired or not, but having a guy who should be a third pairing dman as your partner certainly doesn’t help. Our D sucks, we have some promising kids, but really don’t have any dmen that would be legit top pairing dmen at this stage of their career. Hell, we don’t even have a legit second pair on D. That’s why I think it’s delusional for some to think that we can make a couple of moves over the summer and be a playoff team next year. We had a guy in goal who hid how bad our D was for a long time. We don’t have that luxury anymore.

Their defensive zone coverage was  real bad tonight.  There is a lot of work to do.  The work to do in the summer will obviously be the draft and trying to work some magic to get rid of some bad contracts which will be the hard part. Get into a reasonable cap situation so that maybe you can pull the trigger on a free agent in a couple years when you see what kids are developing well and then hopefully you can spend your money in a smarter fashion. 

paraphrasing from the coach

<<you cannot duplicate the "reps" you are getting now this summer>> [...] <<these "reps" are important>>

<<I do not want to "hard teach" to the point of making them loose their confidence>>

the loosing streak is safe, we are in pre-season mode