April 16, Caps vs Habs

Neech

Yes..  we should be in the mode of evaluating players for next season.  What other mode would the staff be in with the place in the standings.

Arizona, Seattle, Philly, Jersey, Ottawa, are all in the same evaluation for next year mode.

In 40 years watching the Habs, I do not remember being in an April training camp

i am surprised, but need to get used to this since we will repeat it next year 

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

at this rate, he may get the goalie coach fired

I think that's a given at this point.  Raymond was hired due to a prior relationship with Ducharme in junior, not his ability to successfully coach goalies in the pros.  I expect they'll bring in an actual qualified goalie coach for next season as part of a bigger shakeup among the assistants.

25 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That was a stupid and undisciplined hit, totally unnecessary.  I like Pezetta's passion but he takes way too many bad penalties.  He will have to play a lot smarter or he won't be around much longer. 

I’ve been reading the same comment about him ever since he first came up. I doubt he will change, and doubt he will be in the league very long.

42 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’ve been reading the same comment about him ever since he first came up. I doubt he will change, and doubt he will be in the league very long.

***IF*** he could learn to see "the line" he could be a useful 13th forward ... but I agree he seems unlikely ever to do so ... it likely renders him of little interest to other NHL teams ... he can be a popular Rocket and a tool (both in terms of hockey-sense and utility) for the Habs to OCCASIONALLY deploy

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

In 40 years watching the Habs, I do not remember being in an April training camp

i am surprised, but need to get used to this since we will repeat it next year 

It happened in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2012, 2016, 2018

This is not unusual at all.  

Teams that are well out of a playoff race use the final games of the season to evaluate youth. 

There is nothing strange here, no matter how you want to use it to criticize the new coach and management. 

When Julien stayed as

coach, he was still asking the players to play the system and was not playing the call ups over veterans

when the English speaking coach (I forget the name) coached, he was trying to win games and putting on a brave face as he explained what he tried

I have not gone through the list you provided, but from memory I do not remember the organization admitting that it was training camp in April. The price of the tickets never

came down to reflect that

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I have not gone through the list you provided, but from memory I do not remember the organization admitting that it was training camp in April. The price of the tickets never

I know it's not really the point you're trying to make but the price of the tickets never go down - they usually charge regular season prices in the preseason.  Pretty much all rebuilding teams look at the final few games as tinkering/evaluation time whether or not they come out and admit it.

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

When Julien stayed as

coach, he was still asking the players to play the system and was not playing the call ups over veterans

when the English speaking coach (I forget the name) coached, he was trying to win games and putting on a brave face as he explained what he tried

1) Pre season tickets are the same price as regular season tickets.

2) teams don't have to admit publically that they are evaluating young/fringe players but they do it.  Every team in the league who isnt competing for a playoff spot is doing exactly this.  It would be malpractice not to.