GAME#80 Habs vs Bruins 7:00 Sunday April 24 2022

DON

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

No reason to play him, I think they just wanted to get him some games before the season ended. Now there's no need to risk anything. 

If he wasn't injured they would not have been allowed to make the emergency recall of Primeau.

26 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Technically, they have to declare an injury of some sort to get the emergency recall but it sounds like it's just rest.

Usually one would rest a goalie by having him sit on the bench for the game. The statement by St-Louis really sounds odd.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Usually one would rest a goalie by having him sit on the bench for the game. The statement by St-Louis really sounds odd.

its around 1:20 in French, followed by the same question in English ... MSL does not look comfortable in either response ... or the follow-up around 5:12

Hes played 3 games in a row... and this would have been a back to back (and 3rd game in 4 nights).  They want to rest him, even if montembault stinks or gets hurt price isnt going in.

Flames did the same with an emergency recall for dustin wolf yesterday and markstrom resting.

I think the league doesnt care that much with these one game recalls for a goalie to send a league doctor to see if someone really is day to day.

Its not like Weber being out for 4 years 

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Remember what happened the last time that situation existed?  Montembeault had a clunker but they didn't want to risk anything by bringing Price in cold so Montembeault got lit up for eight goals.  Forcing Primeau to dress as the backup avoids that scenario while Price is classified as day-to-day with something like general body soreness, awaiting test results, or some other really minor thing that they invent as a reason.

Hoffman scores ... huge roar from the crowd ... Hoffman announced as the goal scorer ... next to no crowd reaction ... they know a me-first guy when they see one.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Don’t be doing anything stupid here boys. 

I am getting a little nervous. The players aren't concerned with a high draft pick, nor should they be. They get played to play and they are doing that.  It's just us fans who are overly concerned.  They have made it close enough for my liking. 

RDS showed Price favouring his right leg during the last game and flexing it during games like one would when the knee hurts

they also showed replays of the Ottawa game fro where it is clear that he is not moving side to side with the fluidity he had in his fort game 

I wonder if listening to Price instead of coaching him and telling him when he should play would not have been a better path to remission 

I guess it is good the tank job is safe this season but wonder why the Habs should not tank next year

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I guess it is good the tank job is safe this season but wonder why the Habs should not tank next year

We'll be bad next year, maybe not rock bottom worst in the league bad, but nowhere near the playoffs bad.  Bring on Bedard and wake me up in 2024!

Entertaining game at least.

Harris seems to have lots of the good ol hockey IQ.

Keep it simple kid!

Just too bad Barron couldnt be getting some nice icetime as well.

24:40 for a wounded Suzuki, 23:07 for Romanov, nice.

Go Marty go, keep running them out there.

Someone noted Petry 2a, but he also earned the -3.

If he aint producing offense, he is not much use. He seems the worst outlet passer on the team, so many bad passes (lazy, eye sight going, lost a step, dont care?). 

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

RDS showed Price favouring his right leg during the last game and flexing it during games like one would when the knee hurts

they also showed replays of the Ottawa game fro where it is clear that he is not moving side to side with the fluidity he had in his fort game 

I wonder if listening to Price instead of coaching him and telling him when he should play would not have been a better path to remission 

I’m worried about Price. But I doubt very much that he was bullied into playing. Pretty sure he would have called that shot.

As for tanking, no, we should not tank, if by that you mean deliberately icing a terrible roster. We should ice the best roster we can consistent with not locking ourselves into big contracts that will tie our hands three years hence. In practice, this philosophical distinction won’t make that much practical difference, since we will be a non-playoff team anyway. But I simply do not believe that it is consistent with a strong program of player development - especially on the blueline - to just leave rookies flailing around getting demolished night after night. We need a team that is playing competitive hockey.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m worried about Price. But I doubt very much that he was bullied into playing. Pretty sure he would have called that shot.

As for tanking, no, we should not tank, if by that you mean deliberately icing a terrible roster. We should ice the best roster we can consistent with not locking ourselves into big contracts that will tie our hands three years hence. In practice, this philosophical distinction won’t make that much practical difference, since we will be a non-playoff team anyway. But I simply do not believe that it is consistent with a strong program of player development - especially on the blueline - to just leave rookies flailing around getting demolished night after night. We need a team that is playing competitive hockey.

Exactly. We will likely be bottom 10 anyway continuing with the rebuild and getting rid of bad contracts. There is no need to deliberately ice a terrible roster as it sends a terrible message and hurts player development. 

Certainly nobody bullied Price into playing, if he was playing it's because he badly wanted to play. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with your view of development, and that is why I disagree with the tankers in this forum.

But I believe that Hugh-Gort's plan is to pick high for at least one more year to draft elite talent and build a strong cup contending core; for that reason, I also believe the plan is to tank next year, leave the prospects to develop in Laval, and liquidate expiring contracts

Go Rocket Go !!!

But I believe that Hugh-Gort's plan is to (...)

Hugo's plan should become clear within the next three months as we see who is extended, who is let go and who is signed as the UFA season opens.

Until then, I don't really want to argue as neither one of us knows, so we're just trying to convince each other that our guesses are going to turn out to be correct.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Hugo's plan should become clear within the next three months as we see who is extended, who is let go and who is signed as the UFA season opens.

Until then, I don't really want to argue as neither one of us knows, so we're just trying to convince each other that our guesses are going to turn out to be correct.

There is no quick fix to the team. Anything beyond continuing to rebuild is a fool's errand. Other than Romanov, none of the players on expiring deals are significant core pieces. Whether they let them all go, or extend every one,  that doesn't indicate a whole lot. 

The cap situation is dire, and there aren't easy trades out of that situation. That alone would handcuff potential UFA signings. 

All signs point to the Habs icing a bad to terrible team next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t think we actually have to TRY and tank. We aren’t holding a guy like Caufield back in the minors to be worse - like Toronto did during the Mathews draft.

there is a difference between making deals to get better in the long term - like the trading Taffoli, Lekhonan, Chiarot were, and trying to trade a guy like Chychrun like Phoenix is. We don’t want to be the golden seals trading away a first rounder for old guys.

it also doesn’t make sense to give up a lot of assets to get us from last place to 25th place.  What is important is to ensure you do have veteran safety nets for our younger kids, while making sure they are not expensive boat anchors (something Edmonton amd Buffalo failed to do). I don’t want to see a stupid Souray type overpay to try and fix the D. 

we are where we are. There is no quick fix, I don’t think we are bad enough to be bottom three last year, and if it wasn’t for DD, we’d probably been around 28th in the league this year - still bad - just not historically bad.

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t think we actually have to TRY and tank. We aren’t holding a guy like Caufield back in the minors to be worse - like Toronto did during the Mathews draft.

there is a difference between making deals to get better in the long term - like the trading Taffoli, Lekhonan, Chiarot were, and trying to trade a guy like Chychrun like Phoenix is. We don’t want to be the golden seals trading away a first rounder for old guys.

it also doesn’t make sense to give up a lot of assets to get us from last place to 25th place.  What is important is to ensure you do have veteran safety nets for our younger kids, while making sure they are not expensive boat anchors (something Edmonton amd Buffalo failed to do). I don’t want to see a stupid Souray type overpay to try and fix the D. 

we are where we are. There is no quick fix, I don’t think we are bad enough to be bottom three last year, and if it wasn’t for DD, we’d probably been around 28th in the league this year - still bad - just not historically bad.

Good post.  Tank has been the most overused term on this forum.  I know I am repeating myself but the Habs DID NOT tank this year.  A multitude of factors came together to cause a horrible year (setting a league record for man games due to injury being one of them).  They don't need to "tank" next year although they could very well finish at the lower end of the league without "trying" to tank.  

There is a difference between "tanking" and taking a long term approach although the result can appear to be the same in the short term. 

• Like 1

Fine. Then, let's shut down this forum until we "have more details this summer" I'm logging off

Sigh. I (personally) don't want to argue about what Hugo will do or plans to do, because we simply don't know.

That shouldn't stop us (and never has stopped us until now, at least) about discussing what this team is today, or what they should or should not do in the future.

3 hours ago, huzer said:

The cap situation is dire, and there aren't easy trades out of that situation. That alone would handcuff potential UFA signings. 

All signs point to the Habs icing a bad to terrible team next year.

I dont think anyone thinks they would sign a high $$ UFA; even if they did have the cap room. 

But, without seeing what trades they make in June/July, i wouldnt predict horrible, more 'weak' or thin roster is almost a guarantee.

Maybe middle of pack if Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson etc all have big years, Guhle, Harris or Barron can play simple/solid hockey and have a 1/2 decent tender, a healthy Price might work and avoid a ton of injuries.