GAME#82 - Habs vs Panthers - 7:30 - Friday April 29, 2022

GHT120

32nd clinched ... EVERYONE can cheer for a win.

Couldn't find anything on morning skate lines ... so just a skate I guess ... of course apparently Byron and Allen drove Pierre Gervais' retirement gift onto the ice before the skate, so line rushes might have been problematic

a5c33cbe.gif&ehk=rcA0UTatOsBdbuC3vEiaT8o  tenor.gif&ehk=sCsrV7WzQZ1nTtImkxAOKj2Le0   tAb7sCFdyPXkfdtAibivPbqU=  izhIx1p%2B05Xm7Sb2kSE95aVHtIrrCiuvYo5cuy

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wonderful that Carey is back in. I was worried, I won’t lie.

Of course some click-baiters are saying he is only playing because it will be his last game ... I expect that, at worst, the doctor said Carey did tweak something but it isn't serious and won't be aggravated by playing one last game this season ... his then having a full summer in which to continue rehab to optimize the health of the knee.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

JOJO = Jonas Johansson, the goalie who was claimed off waivers in mid-December and has made one start since then.

And it's safe to say he won't be making another start for them after that first period showing...

If Caufield can get one more goal, he can tie for rookie lead.  Normally I'd be against pushing for more with 10, but this is different.  Set up #22 til the very end!

Love to see Anderson get #20 and for Caufield to tie or lead rookie goal scoring. 

but sheesh I’m being greedy now!

49 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That was another fun period.  Happy for Perreault who will be ending his Montreal tenure on a high note.

Agreed ... it may even be ending his career ... nice to see

And there was a Weber sighting! 

nice of him to show up. I wonder how is arm is since it must have been twisted real bad for him to make it. 

10 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

nice of him to show up. I wonder how is arm is since it must have been twisted real bad for him to make it. 

Weber doesn't owe the Habs anything. He played his heart out for the team, played through injuries etc.  You can't ask more of a player than what Weber put out. 

2 hours ago, revvvrob said:

This attitude is what scares away players from signing with the team.

• Upvote 1

Great to see Goal Caufield with the hat trick, and Price finishing with the win.

it looked like Florida rested their top line (or even top two lines??), and maybe even top two D.

But it was a nice way to finish a horrible season. 

11 hours ago, revvvrob said:

He's required to report for an end-of-season medical, the results of which are to be shared by the league as part of their LTIR protocol.

No offence to the mighty Shea Weber, but I don’t want him around anyway. I emphatically don’t want him returning to the lineup (cap death) and I see little point in him hovering around the team if he can’t play anymore. It might even be counter-productive because it tacitly discourages the Suzukis of the world from taking up the space they should be taking as the future of this team. Indeed, this franchise needed to transition toward new leadership even before he ‘retired’ - notwithstanding his tremendous playoff play, he was clearly on his last legs last season. And I think one of the reasons we sucked so hard in the early going was that too many players were looking around going, ‘where’s Dad? Where’s Price? Now what do we do? Who are we?’

So, all respect to #6, but we don’t need him hanging around.

And it’s probably best for his own mental health that he not be clinging to the Habs anyway. He needs to adjust to retirement, not continue breathing Zamboni fumes in the Bell Centre.

On another note, part of me still wonders if this was Price’s last game. The symmetry of retiring on game #700, with a W, probably appeals to him. But I recognize that this is likely melodramatic of me.

Caufield is a beast. I don’t know that I have ever seen a player go from outhouse to doghouse so quickly, or be so radically transformed by a coaching change. Hard to believe he will not be *at least* a reliable 30-goal man. Frankly, I think he will make Pacioretty look like a pile of puke before his time with us is done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No offence to the mighty Shea Weber, but I don’t want him around anyway. I emphatically don’t want him returning to the lineup (cap death) and I see little point in him hovering around the team if he can’t play anymore. It might even be counter-productive because it tacitly discourages the Suzukis of the world from taking up the space they should be taking as the future of this team. Indeed, this franchise needed to transition toward new leadership even before he ‘retired’ - notwithstanding his tremendous playoff play, he was clearly on his last legs last season. And I think one of the reasons we sucked so hard in the early going was that too many players were looking around going, ‘where’s Dad? Where’s Price? Now what do we do? Who are we?’

So, all respect to #6, but we don’t need him hanging around.

And it’s probably best for his own mental health that he not be clinging to the Habs anyway. He needs to adjust to retirement, not continue breathing Zamboni fumes in the Bell Centre.

On another note, part of me still wonders if this was Price’s last game. The symmetry of retiring on game #700, with a W, probably appeals to him. But I recognize that this is likely melodramatic of me.

Caufield is a beast. I don’t know that I have ever seen a player go from outhouse to doghouse so quickly, or be so radically transformed by a coaching change. Hard to believe he will not be *at least* a reliable 30-goal man. Frankly, I think he will make Pacioretty look like a pile of puke before his time with us is done.

Agree with your thoughts, Weber played his heart out, was a great captain, did everything he was expected to do, but time to move on.  Perhaps there is a role somewhere in the organization (scout??) for him  if he wants it.  Or maybe he just wants to take it easy for a couple years and rest his body which is fair. Any criticism of him now is totally unfair in my opinion. 

Caulfield is a beast, those were goal scorer goals last night. He scored 20 goals in half a season, I have no doubt he will score 30/year unless they bring DD or Therrien back. 

58 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps there is a role somewhere in the organization (scout??) for him  if he wants it. 

Same for Price, how does that work, if they cant play but are getting paid. So how much stuff can they actually ask them to do 'off-ice' ...anything? 

Not up there with the 1919 White Sox scandal, but 10 goals, the #10 painted on ice behind the nets... the Panthers musta been in on it.:nuts:

10 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

This attitude is what scares away players from signing with the team.

I don’t know that I have a bad attitude about Weber. 

I loved him as a Hab and didn’t mind losing PK to get him (Tho I wish we could have had both!). 

he was AMAZING last playoff and was a guy I’d have proudly worn his jersey. 

I just think his vanishing from last year final until last night showed the opposite of leadership and it tainted my view of him a bit. 

i think overall I agree with CC and others.

here’s what I would have liked:

He IS still the captain of the Habs for the 2021-21 season 

I would have expected him to appear at opening night. 

I would have expected at least ONE appearance mid-season, maybe at a spot where the season was lost and he could encourage the troops as captain, maybe when Gorton or Hughes or St Louis was hired. Sometime.

And then finally at the end of the season as he did. 

3 visits in the season from the current Habs captain in what was one of the most, if not THE most difficult season in Habs history. 

I don’t think that would have been too much to expect.