2022 NHL Playoffs

Neech

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Scored 27 goals this season and had 2 points in game 1.  Seems logical 

It’s funny how he never came anywhere near those totals with us - I mean, nowhere close. New linemates help, I suppose, although I also wonder whether the deep playoff run, in which he starred, gave him new reserves of confidence. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s funny how he never came anywhere near those totals with us - I mean, nowhere close. New linemates help, I suppose, although I also wonder whether the deep playoff run, in which he starred, gave him new reserves of confidence. 

It's not just Danault...Lehkonen finishes a good number of his chances since he pulled on an Avs jersey too.

43 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

It's not just Danault...Lehkonen finishes a good number of his chances since he pulled on an Avs jersey too.

Lehkonen is a small sample. I don't believe that ol' Cement Hands is suddenly a 30-goal guy.

It occurs to me, though, that the Habs have had tremendously conservative coaching for decades. The last guy who was a players' coach who allowed players some creativity was Demers. After that, it's been a sequence of control-freakish buttoned-down coaches whose overriding imperative has been to avoid mistakes. That doesn't create a climate for offensive dynamism and may have contributed to depressing the output of some players.

Important not to exaggerate here, though. Coaches throughout the NHL tend to be risk-averse, and of course after they moved Subban the Habs no longer had a critical mass of creative puck-movers on the back end to help generate offence. Nevertheless, there does seem to have been a disproportionately risk-averse culture in Montreal...perhaps a result of the fabled "pressure" in this market. And that, in addition to the lack of star talent, may help to explain why Montreal so seldom seems to have any kind offensive dynamism.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Lehkonen is a small sample. I don't believe that ol' Cement Hands is suddenly a 30-goal guy.

It occurs to me, though, that the Habs have had tremendously conservative coaching for decades. The last guy who was a players' coach who allowed players some creativity was Demers. After that, it's been a sequence of control-freakish buttoned-down coaches whose overriding imperative has been to avoid mistakes. That doesn't create a climate for offensive dynamism and may have contributed to depressing the output of some players.

Important not to exaggerate here, though. Coaches throughout the NHL tend to be risk-averse, and of course after they moved Subban the Habs no longer had a critical mass of creative puck-movers on the back end to help generate offence. Nevertheless, there does seem to have been a disproportionately risk-averse culture in Montreal...perhaps a result of the fabled "pressure" in this market. And that, in addition to the lack of star talent, may help to explain why Montreal so seldom seems to have any kind offensive dynamism.

What about Carbonneau?  I seem to remember the Habs were pretty good offensively under him (and completely oblivious defensively).  I don't know if that qualifies as dynamic but they led the league in goals in his second year.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think you are right, some good points. Montreal hasn't been fun to watch offensively for a while. If they can add a couple more offensive talents in the next couple drafts to go along with Suzuki and Caufield, combine that with St. Louis as a coach then this team could be a whole lot of fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In Montreal he spent 100% of his time matched against the other teams best line.  He still does some of that, but LA has another Selke calibre centre in Kopitar.  LA doesnt seem to mind if its Kopitar or Danualt out against the other teams top line.  They just want one of the two out there in most matchups.

Of course Edmonton is different but it looks like its mostly McDavid vs Kopitar and Danault vs Draisaitl.  Of course if that flips for a shift or two they arent worried about it

All this is to say when you dont face a team with 2 #1cs like the oilers, Danault might get some ice time away from the other teams top line.

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What about Carbonneau?  I seem to remember the Habs were pretty good offensively under him (and completely oblivious defensively).  I don't know if that qualifies as dynamic but they led the league in goals in his second year.

That's true, there was that one year when Kovalev exploded and the Habs got offence from all over the lineup. 

I think this probably had more to do with Carbo being incompetent and Peak Kovalev being a superstar than anything else, but it sure was a fun outlier year. Nevertheless, the overwhelming pattern has been buttoned-down constipated coaching. 

10 hours ago, Neech said:

A battle of Alberta would be really fun.

It would certainly be fun but I want Calgary to lose asap. 

I want the best pick possible from them. Go Dallas go

I must admit that I was nervous that the leafs were going to sweep but Tampa looked really good for the most part last night. The depth of talent is strong even if they are not as fast. 

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’d say that Demers was an exception going further back to Bowman. Given Lafleur’s passing, it’s important to remember the organization pretty much forced him to retire because he couldn’t play the defensive style Lemaire wanted (Savard also lacked the balls or the decency to trade him, when the reporter Gilbert Perrault deal didn’t proceed).

on the flip side Bowman, recognized what he had in Lafleur, and let him play his game. I remember reading decades ago, that they didn’t practice the power play, since Lafleur want a set play guy. Starting with Tremblay, it’s been one control freak after another. We moved creative offensive guys like Turgeon, Cassels, Damphousse long before the Bergevin era. Kovolev was the really only creative guy they let be, and that I think was largely due to Gainey.

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I must admit that I was nervous that the leafs were going to sweep but Tampa looked really good for the most part last night. The depth of talent is strong even if they are not as fast. 

I think the pick would be the same if they lost in the first or second round, it only gets sent to the last four if they make the conference finals. I don't think they're losing to Dallas anyhow.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One factor with Lehkonen's increased scoring in Colorado is him spending 2:15/game on power play. The 1g+1a on PP he has translates to 5g+5a over a full season.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see full-year totals for Lehkonen, Toffoli and Chiarot next year, much more meaningful than this 16-game sample.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yes, I would give up watching the battle of Alberta to get a higher 1st round pick. 

Plus we need Florida to bounce back.  I don't want a rested, hungry Florida team coming into next season, I want them to have short summer full of celebratory activities. 

26 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

How did we ever let GERARD GALLANT walk away I will never understand. I've always liked him as a coach. 

Another team offered him a promotion.  That's usually how these things go.  If the Habs would have said no, he likely wouldn't have re-signed when his contract was up and then would have walked.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Another team offered him a promotion.  That's usually how these things go.  If the Habs would have said no, he likely wouldn't have re-signed when his contract was up and then would have walked.

Didn’t we also have a chance to hire him instead of Julien, after MT as fired?

at least we finally broke the retread cycle and didn’t try and get Vigneult to replace DD.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didn’t we also have a chance to hire him instead of Julien, after MT as fired?

at least we finally broke the retread cycle and didn’t try and get Vigneult to replace DD.

Doesn't speak French.

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... And quite a statement game from the Oil, eh?

Only if they follow it up ... a statement game in the playoffs, IMO, is one in which a team takes control of a series ... otherwise it is just a good game