2022 NHL Playoffs

Neech

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting to see that the high offensive production from the regular season is carrying over into the playoffs...

Certainly makes them more fun to watch

42 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

While it’s clear that the Pens are in decline, Crosby remains a very good hockey player. 

The Pens simply can’t handle the Rags speed and skill. So far this is my favourite series 

The Pens have some big decisions to make over the next couple years.  Crosby will be 35 next year and Malkin 36. When do they start a rebuild?  Do they contemplate trading Malkin/Crosby while they still have some significant value to start a rebuild or do let let them retire as Pens on a declining team. 

Its interesting to see big adjustments in these series. 

The Penguins dominated game 1 and it was only cause of goaltending that the game went to 3 OTs.  The Rangers used their speed in Game 2. 

Leafs and Bolts were two completely different games in 1 and 2. 

Carolina on the other hand has dominated the Bruins twice. 

Edmonton made big adjustments in their series. 

Colorado dominated Nashville both games. Nashville got no goaltending in game 1 and great goaltending in game 2. 

Florida really turned it on in game 2 after being surprised in game 1. 

Really I think it just shows that there is rarely momentum game to game.  Each game is unique. 

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Pens have some big decisions to make over the next couple years.  Crosby will be 35 next year and Malkin 36. When do they start a rebuild?  Do they contemplate trading Malkin/Crosby while they still have some significant value to start a rebuild or do let let them retire as Pens on a declining team. 

We can add Washington to this synopsis too. Two Eastern heavyweights are heading towards sunset. 

I am curious what Burke’s mindset is towards Crosby and Malkin. I would trade them both and rebuild starting as soon as the playoffs are over. Do the Pens agree? I’m not sure

goaltending, eh?!

It seems like in 2022, cup conteding teams need elite goaltending even if the rest of the line-up is elite. Bad goaltending can be the iceberg that sinks a cup run.

I wonder how that will be addressed by Hugh-Gort when he provides more details later this summer

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Really I think it just shows that there is rarely momentum game to game.  Each game is unique. 

That is true. The 1st round of the playoffs is so much fun to watch.  The intensity and unpredictable nature make it so entertaining. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its interesting to see big adjustments in these series. 

The Penguins dominated game 1 and it was only cause of goaltending that the game went to 3 OTs.  The Rangers used their speed in Game 2. 

Leafs and Bolts were two completely different games in 1 and 2. 

Carolina on the other hand has dominated the Bruins twice. 

Edmonton made big adjustments in their series. 

Colorado dominated Nashville both games. Nashville got no goaltending in game 1 and great goaltending in game 2. 

Florida really turned it on in game 2 after being surprised in game 1. 

Yeah I agree and it will be really interesting to watch the leaf game tonight. Can the leafs dominate with speed again or are we looking at a game 2 repeat?

The canes look really really solid. They are all over the Bruins big line and not many teams can boast that. 

Florida looked great last night but that seemed to me to be more due to Caps Dzone breakdown but the Caps also couldn’t handle the speed

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Malkin is a 35 yr-old pending UFA ... so no trade involved, but there is a decision about whether to re-sign, and if so for how long (1 year could be bonus based) ... Letang also pending UFA ... so chance to shake up their core.

Crosby has three more years left at a "reasonable" $8.7 AAV (for a 37g/100pt per 82 gams player this season) ... so he could be moveable (with his permission) ... depending on how these playoffs work out, wonder if MacKinnon might lobby for his Zamboni driver ... maybe they could open a Tim Hortons next to the arena ... it would likely take some roster moves ... but it would "only" be a $4.2M AAV increase compared to this years' 2C ... and less then that as an alternative to re-signing Kadri ... although re-signing NM next summer is also a consideration, as would be the AAV of whoever gets moved out ... nat predicting it, or saying it would be easy. 

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

goaltending, eh?!

It seems like in 2022, cup conteding teams need elite goaltending even if the rest of the line-up is elite. Bad goaltending can be the iceberg that sinks a cup run.

I wonder how that will be addressed by Hugh-Gort when he provides more details later this summer

Medium/longer term I expect that is in their planning ... but doubt it is a 22/23 priority ... unless they can get an NHL proven youngster trending towards being a legit #1, or an ELITE prospect.

48 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We can add Washington to this synopsis too. Two Eastern heavyweights are heading towards sunset. 

I am curious what Burke’s mindset is towards Crosby and Malkin. I would trade them both and rebuild starting as soon as the playoffs are over. Do the Pens agree? I’m not sure

Crosby-Malkin-Kane-Toews, will they finish playing with just 1 franchise? Or all going chasing another cup somewhere?

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Washington do not have a lot of high end prospects either. I was surprised when my cousins kid was called up yesterday. He's not terrible, but he's not an NHLer either. Not yet anyway.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Crosby-Malkin-Kane-Toews, will they finish playing with just 1 franchise? Or all going chasing another cup somewhere?

Future leafs no doubt. 

I didn’t realize Malkin was UFA thanks GHT120. He would be a great short term add to a contender. 

Crosby will likely retire a Penguin. I am impressed with how good he still is

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Good question. I think with Burke on board the Penguins will lean toward trading them. 

I thought that too but I didn’t realize he had three more years left. 

I bet he retires a penguin but perhaps he could join the Habs for a cup run in four years

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Future leafs no doubt. 

God NOO! was first reaction; but, signing old-timer aged players, might not play out great for Leafs also.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I hate to even think this but the leafs are going to beat the bolts. 

The leafs still look wonky in their own end but Tampa can’t handle the leafs speed and attack. 

I can still hope for a leaf style collapse but I think they are going to round 2

To make matters worse, I’ve always thought that if the Leafs could just break through, they’d go all the way. I don’t believe they are bad enough in their own end that they can’t win it all. That’s a powerful lineup whose main problem has been their own heads. Beating the Bolts would put those demons to rest.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

To make matters worse, I’ve always thought that if the Leafs could just break through, they’d go all the way. I don’t believe they are bad enough in their own end that they can’t win it all. That’s a powerful lineup whose main problem has been their own heads. Beating the Bolts would put those demons to rest.

I share the same concerns and I’ve been considering what team can beat them. 

Perhaps Carolina but I’m not sure Florida can stop them. A team like Calgary might be able to grind them down but I don’t see a clear winner against the leafs in the East. 

The history with Boston might cause some issues for the leafs but I don’t think Boston will make it that far. 

26 minutes ago, DON said:

Therrien/Julien's coaching careers rolling over in their "graves"?

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Things not looking all that good for the Panthers despite finishing first overall. Bobbo no longer strikes fear in the hearts of opposing forwards.

Not looking good at all.  The Panthers are supposed to under achieve during the regular season next year, not during the playoffs this year. Didn't they read the script?