2022 NHL Playoffs

Neech

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Playoff hockey is so much fun. That Pens game was bananas. 

I am sick of having gambling shoved down my throat. Sportsnet even has a gambling segment on top of the endless gambling commercials. 

What’s next NHL? Maybe a partnership with cigarette companies?

Agreed on all of these points.

The push for sports betting is so short sighted, it is a dangerous “hobby” and is going to ruin lives, have seen it in various other countries/states first hand.

It is also non-discriminatory in that it is definitely marketing to youth and you never see any equivalents of a “surgeon general’s warning” or disclaimer that gambling is addictive, no links to help/support groups letting f you know how to access help. It is the most reckless marketing campaign (because that is what these new segments are) since the era of tobacco adverts.   

On a personal note: As part owner of a fully licensed cannabis production company I loathe the way gambling, alcohol are allowed to be promoted (literally targeting minors, less so for tobacco these days) meanwhile anything related to cannabis is hidden away if you are following the rules.   Not that I care to promote our cannabis products that much, but I just think the rules are skewed unfairly. I’d prefer that none of the regulated markets (Rx marketing as well) should be allowed to advertise outside of the licensed vender locations (like allowing promos in a liquor store for example).

Got side tracked there, but yeah I like to gamble (very responsibly) but don’t like my kid seeing it being treated like it has no negatives and being marketed as though it is now part of being a sports fan.   Obv I set my kid straight, but it is being pushed down their throats. It is commented on in almost every segment with talking heads line Tim Mcallef constantly referring to his bets and how much he takes down, would it be acceptable to have same type comments if he was saying he’d had 20 whiskies the night before and felt great, or two packs of smokes per day, or bought such and such type of cannabis edibles and loved it?  
That would be ridiculous, but for some reason gambling is now even more socially acceptable so some corporate fat cats can Pull one over on the general populace.  
Obv there is also the risk that these talking heads shape how people bet and affect the odds, etc.   Like Musk affecting share prices.

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I’m amazed by how much scoring we’re seeing. Of the 20 games so far, I think 14 have had the winner scoring at least five goals.

good point, have noticed that as well.

wonder how special teams production this year compares to others, or if it is 5-5 scoring increase, or both?

How many #1 goalies injured or playing injured? Is that # more this year than norm? Or maybe quality NHL defenseman-pool watered down bit more with a 32nd team added?

Yikes ... for the BBs

44 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Watching these playoffs I can see why we were always called a soft team. 

Did anyone say that about the Habs last season?  Especially in the playoffs, they were the more physical of the teams in probably each of their series.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Did anyone say that about the Habs last season?  Especially in the playoffs, they were the more physical of the teams in probably each of their series.

100%. The Habs were anything but soft in 2021…playoffs or regular season. That’s a crazy assertion.

Boston is surprising me but holy crap Marchand is so good. 

Danault is a beast and if the oilers lose then they need to really consider doing something major to shake things up. 

The leafs are ridiculous. It’s like the better they are playing, the harder they work. But if they face adversity then they stop trying. Please win game 5 bolts….

WTF Calgary? They seem to employ the old Habs style of play - that is to try and win games 1-0. Good luck with that. 

The only boring series is the Blues one. Everything else has been so much fun to watch. 

Seesaw playoffs continue! So many teams trading lopsided victories. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything like this for several years.

Great to see the Leafs blown out. A Tampa win in Game 5 would break the seesaw pattern and have them hearing the footsteps of their own doom - yet again. Go Tampa go!! 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Seesaw playoffs continue! So many teams trading lopsided victories. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything like this for several years.

Great to see the Leafs blown out. A Tampa win in Game 5 would break the seesaw pattern and have them hearing the footsteps of their own doom - yet again. Go Tampa go!! 

I'm torn on the Leafs series. Obviously want the Leafs knocked out in round one, but I don't mind seeing tampa lose, because of the 18 million over cap roster from last year.

3 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm torn on the Leafs series. Obviously want the Leafs knocked out in round one, but I don't mind seeing tampa lose, because of the 18 million over cap roster from last year.

I am not torn, the Leafs are the last team I want to see win the cup but they do have a legitimate chance. Then Boston is the 2nd last team I want to see win.  After that I don't really care although living in Edmonton if I had to pick a team I would like to see win, it would be the Oilers although they don't deserve it as they have messed up in so many ways. 

Agree with Habs Fan in Edmonton. The overriding priority is that the Leafs die an excruciating death. I don't like Tampa either, but I'll worry about that AFTER they dispatch the noxious Leafs.

I have a hard time seeing BO going all the way, although they are a strong club; so I'm less agitated about them winning or losing this round. 

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Boston is surprising me but holy crap Marchand is so good.  

I surely hope that you spit on the floor after saying/thinking that!:angry:

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The man is a complete asshat 

I wish that asshat was drafted by the Habs. 🤷‍♀️

Not a bad player considering he was drafted 71st overall and one of the best contracts in the NHL from a team perspective.  He has 3 more years at 6,125,000 and then the Bruins can say goodbye or sign him cheap. 

I think the Bruins have done the best job in the NHL at signing players for the right amount at the right time.  A big part of the reason they have been a perennial contender. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

I surely hope that you spit on the floor after saying/thinking that!:angry:

• Upvote 1

Calgary dominating but can’t score. Toffoli missed an unbelievable chance - or, depending on your perspective, the G made an unbelievable save. If they don’t score soon, this will be like Game 2 of the Finals last season - complete control by one team for 30 minutes, and you end up with an L.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Calgary dominating but can’t score. Toffoli missed an unbelievable chance - or, depending on your perspective, the G made an unbelievable save. If they don’t score soon, this will be like Game 2 of the Finals last season - complete control by one team for 30 minutes, and you end up with an L.

I only watched the first two periods but what a game! Hard back and forth hockey with flashes of goaltending brilliance. 

The Avs look like champions. They play with poise and confidence. I’m not sure if anyone can stop them

I love playoff hockey 

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I underestimated the pens. They are playing smart, hard hockey. 

Maybe I’m underestimating the caps but Florida looks like crap ( even though they just won in ot)

Go bolts

I thought florida dominated the game and the caps were lucky it even went to OT.  They outshot them nearly 2 to 1.

Is anyone else finding they are cheering for Boston in this series? I hate the Bruins as much as the next guy, but I would find more pleasure in seeing the Canes lose in the first round after the whole offer sheets fiasco.