2022 NHL Playoffs

Neech

19 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the move that would be smarter is one they can’t make be use of a NMC. Move that would probably open up the most cap room, is moving Tavares. He makes way too much for his production, and what any team can afford to pay a 2nd line centre.

It’s so interesting how these things go. When they signed Tavares, I was horrified at the strength it gave them down the middle, but also a bit puzzled that they made that investment at C when they already had Matthews. Now that Matthews has become one of the very best players in the game, that signing looks more and more like it was a classic attempt to fast-track a rebuild instead of doing it properly and waiting for your young guns to evolve - like they lost their nerve prematurely regarding Matthews and sought a fall-back for #1C.

The other thing they did that I struggled to understand at the time was re-sign Nylander when he was holding out. I love Nylander, but it seemed obvious to me that they should be moving him for help on D and could use the holdout as a pretext for doing so.

Right now, it looks as though - for an organization that has mostly done things right over the past decade - those two decisions have, ironically, worked against them in terms of team structure. Those players are still elite players, but they’re locked into this FW-heavy roster, and it’s not working when the chips are down.

I think Nylander is the trade where you get the most value simply because he has 2 more years left at 6.9M which is pretty good value for a guy who scored 80 points.  Teams will pay up for good value and the Leafs could probably get a very good piece on their blueline for him. 

Tavares on the other hand has a full NMC, is 31, has 2 years left at 11M.  It was exciting for them to sign Tavares but that signing has not paid off. It was actually a good move to re-sign Nylander as his contract makes him more tradeable. His value has gone up since the signing. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s so interesting how these things go. When they signed Tavares, I was horrified at the strength it gave them down the middle, but also a bit puzzled that they made that investment at C when they already had Matthews. Now that Matthews has become one of the very best players in the game, that signing looks more and more like it was a classic attempt to fast-track a rebuild instead of doing it properly and waiting for your young guns to evolve - like they lost their nerve prematurely regarding Matthews and sought a fall-back for #1C.

The other thing they did that I struggled to understand at the time was re-sign Nylander when he was holding out. I love Nylander, but it seemed obvious to me that they should be moving him for help on D and could use the holdout as a pretext for doing so.

Right now, it looks as though - for an organization that has mostly done things right over the past decade - those two decisions have, ironically, worked against them in terms of team structure. Those players are still elite players, but they’re locked into this FW-heavy roster, and it’s not working when the chips are down.

I think the leafs did a good job on their rebuild, but messed up the contracts. 
they drafted three studs forwards, and needed to get a solid top pairing Dman. 

the Tavares signing could only work if they got their three forwards signed to reasonable deals, so they could get another top line dman. Instead they paid guys max $ and didn’t even get max term. They not only ended up spending around $40M on four forwards, they didn’t even lock them up for maximum term, and May walk Matthews and Marner to free agency.

contract term and $ made very little sense, and the Tavares signing limits their ability to fill out their roster.

Matthews- I don’t get how every other comparable young star (including McDavid), got locked up for maximum term, while the Leafs on made Matthews the 2nd highest player in the league, but only locked him up for 5 years. Didn’t make sense. 

Marner - again paid him over $10M, but locked him up for only 6 years. Paying him too much, when you consider they didn’t but more UFA years.

Nylander - for what he had done to date- overpaid, and again only locked him up for 6 years. He is worth the money now, but hadn’t earned it when they signed him. Would have been better of letting him sit the year.

With these 3 signing coming out of their entry level deal and the Tavares signing, they are going to be in tough cap wise, given their needs. They need to sign Giordano, AND another top D. Oh, and Their goalie is also a UFA. Don’t know where they will get the money. They got good value on some players this year, who they won’t be able to afford to resign. Dubas fxcked up the cap royally. I’m hoping that in two years, the Leafs cap hell will get worse, while Montreal, will have solids picks developing and be ready to become a solid playoff team, and than a contender in an additional year or two.

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Rags tying goal was 100% due to ripping a penguins helmet off. That rule needs to go. It was a tactic last year too.

Didn't see the play ... but if playing without a helmet is a penalty then directly causing a player to lose his helmet should be a minor penalty.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Didn't see the play ... but if playing without a helmet is a penalty then directly causing a player to lose his helmet should be a minor penalty.

Yes, that absolutely should be. But it rarely gets called.

It's pretty obvious in this video:

That Flames game was absolutely epic.

Total domination by Calgary until the third, when Dallas, smelling a steal, started pushing. Oettinger gave one of the great playoff performances of all time (shades of Dryden 1971, Roy 1986, Halak 2010) while the teams traded rushes; the pressure was on Markstrom not to crack, and impressively, he did not. All the patterns of the game pointed toward a Dallas win. Gaudreau, maligned for being a non-factor in past playoffs, was all over the ice in this one (as was Heiskanen for Dallas). It was poetic justice that he scored the winner on a crazy-perfect shot from a bad angle.

The Sportsnet team was positively giddy thereafter, with Hrudey calling it maybe the best game he’d ever watched. I can see that. It was incredible hockey.

The Alberta series is going to be one for the ages.

Total domination by Calgary until the third, when Dallas, smelling a steal, started pushing. Oettinger gave one of the great playoff performances of all time (shades of Dryden 1971, Roy 1986, Halak 2010) while the teams traded rushes; the pressure was on Markstrom not to crack, and impressively, he did not. All the patterns of the game pointed toward a Dallas win. Gaudreau, maligned for being a non-factor in past playoffs, was all over the ice in this one (as was Heiskanen for Dallas). It was poetic justice that he scored the winner on a crazy-perfect shot from a bad angle.

The Sportsnet team was positively giddy thereafter, with Hrudey calling it maybe the best game he’d ever watched. I can see that. It was incredible hockey.

It was a great game, was cheering for Dallas but Calgary deserved it.   Go Oilers but I think the Flames take it in 6. 

I was actually a bit emotional at the end of the game. Halak 2010 and hasek were my two comparisons. What a performance.  He was like that all series but last night was special.

Dodged a bullet:

But, I was told that KK was a clutch playoff performer, and his stats in Montreal werent just an inflated shooting percentage in a small sample size (ie random luck). 

0g 0a in 7 games in the first round (that's called reversion to the mean). 

Again.... No such thing as clutch. 

Have an 80’s oilers-flames going on right now - minus the bench clearing brawls and fights.

9 hours ago, Neech said:

McDavid with an unreal performance in game 1, it's a shame their defence is so incompetent. I hope we get 7 games of this series!

Holland is an idiot for not getting a goalie and trying to upgrade his D with an old Keith.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Holland is an idiot for not getting a goalie and trying to upgrade his D with an old Keith.

Yup ... 

image.png