2022 NHL Playoffs

Neech

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Smith has been great in the playoffs so far. He had a bad 7 minutes last night.  Markstrom was awful too. 

I don’t think you can rely on Smith for a long run. He should be a backup, or a 1b at best. Koskinan has never done well in there are actual expectations on him.

The fact that Markstrom had a bad game is precisely why they needed to take advantage of coming back from 5-1 in the second, and typing it at 6-6 in the third. When a team fights back like that it needs its goalie to make the saves - even if the D is a tire fire.

37 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t think you can rely on Smith for a long run. He should be a backup, or a 1b at best. Koskinan has never done well in there are actual expectations on him.

The fact that Markstrom had a bad game is precisely why they needed to take advantage of coming back from 5-1 in the second, and typing it at 6-6 in the third. When a team fights back like that it needs its goalie to make the saves - even if the D is a tire fire.

The Flames are a very deep team.  They dominated the Oilers last night.  It shouldn't have been close, other than Markstrom couldn't make a save. 

I think this is a 4 or 5 game series. 

The oilers roster construction is Garbage and the Flames is very good.  Connor McDavid can only do so much.  

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The Flames are a very deep team.  They dominated the Oilers last night.  It shouldn't have been close, other than Markstrom couldn't make a save. 

I think this is a 4 or 5 game series. 

The oilers roster construction is Garbage and the Flames is very good.  Connor McDavid can only do so much.  

I agree, Flames are a lot stronger, but when you battle back from 5-1, you expect it should give your team a boast to press even harder, and not take dumb penalties. Oilers are wasting McDavid and Draisaitl. They have a couple of good pieces (Nugent-Hopkins and Hyman looked very good last night,but he’s a depth forward), e,”but don’t have the IQ to play with McDavid or Draisaitl, there’s been a lot passes McDavid has made expecting Kane to be somewhere and he isn’t there. The oilers are a team that should have been trying to get Taffoli and Chiarot from us.

I think the goaltending and Defence is garbage, and that’s on Holland.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree, Flames are a lot stronger, but when you battle back from 5-1, you expect it should give your team a boast to press even harder, and not take dumb penalties. Oilers are wasting McDavid and Draisaitl. They have a couple of good pieces (Nugent-Hopkins and Hyman looked very good last night,but he’s a depth forward), e,”but don’t have the IQ to play with McDavid or Draisaitl, there’s been a lot passes McDavid has made expecting Kane to be somewhere and he isn’t there. The oilers are a team that should have been trying to get Taffoli and Chiarot from us.

I think the goaltending and Defence is garbage, and that’s on Holland.

Kane has 7 goals in 8 playoff games and had 22 goals in 43 regular season games.  Toffoli has 1 goal in 8 playoff games and had 20 goals in 74 regular season games. Kane has been a far far better pickup than Toffoli. Not even close!!

Hyman is an excellent player and can play top 6 on any team in the league. I have seen him play a lot more this year and really appreciate his game. He is more than a depth forward. 

In your zeal to criticize the Oilers you have cherry picked one particular game.  I agree about the Oiler's defense though. Not nearly good enough. I stand by my prediction of Calgary in 6. 

Hyman isnt a bad player.  I think they will regret the contract though.  Its a little too pricey.

Smith has been great in the playoffs so far but hes 39 and he cant keep up this pace.  They really could have used a quality 1b with him.  Koskinen aint it.

Kane (on the ice) has been a great pickup.  He can play.  Off ice is always the issue.

Problems with the oilers though...

How do they pay Puljujarvi this summer.  Prime offer sheet candidate with their cap mess (not Habs but a team who isny expecting a top pick in 2023).

The bottom 6 forwards are hot garbage.

Kassians contract.... woof

That defence...

Duncan keith....woof... washed up

Cody Ceci..... ouch

Kris Russell.... yikes.

Calgary in 5

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

How do they pay Puljujarvi this summer.  Prime offer sheet candidate with their cap mess (not Habs but a team who isny expecting a top pick in 2023).

They should be trading him as soon as their season is over, should they not, for picks or prospects?

The Oilers have their issues, far from a complete team.  Hyman is certainly more than "isn't a bad player".  That's what I thought of him when he played for Toronto but he is a much better skater than I ever thought he was, and gritty. 

Kane is the kind of player that drives a team crazy. There aren't many wingers with his skill and toughness but we all know the downside. He has been inspired playing with Edmonton but they don't have the space to resign him and someone will give him a bundle of money and likely be disappointed. 

Smith has surprised me, outstanding in the last 20 games of the season and playoffs. We will see shortly if he is wearing out. 

Defense is a big question mark.  Nurse is very good and Bouchard is turning into an outstanding point man on the power play but they lack depth. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Hyman isnt a bad player.  I think they will regret the contract though.  Its a little too pricey.

Smith has been great in the playoffs so far but hes 39 and he cant keep up this pace.  They really could have used a quality 1b with him.  Koskinen aint it.

Kane (on the ice) has been a great pickup.  He can play.  Off ice is always the issue.

Problems with the oilers though...

The bottom 6 forwards are hot garbage.

Kassians contract.... woof

That defence...

Cody Ceci..... ouch

Kris Russell.... yikes.

Calgary in 5

I think Yams gets signed over Poolparty... The guy simply doesn't have the hockey IQ to be a regular contributor from what I've seen.

Not to defend Edmonton's score but Ceci hasn't been terrible and Russell is the 7th d. Barely passed 5 minutes last night.

The whole Keith situation is brain numbing though...

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Kane has 7 goals in 8 playoff games and had 22 goals in 43 regular season games.  Toffoli has 1 goal in 8 playoff games and had 20 goals in 74 regular season games. Kane has been a far far better pickup than Toffoli. Not even close!!

Hyman is an excellent player and can play top 6 on any team in the league. I have seen him play a lot more this year and really appreciate his game. He is more than a depth forward. 

In your zeal to criticize the Oilers you have cherry picked one particular game.  I agree about the Oiler's defense though. Not nearly good enough. I stand by my prediction of Calgary in 6. 

I agree Hyman isn’t a “bad” player and I like him on the third line. Has skill and works his ass off. But if they actually had both McDavid and Draisaitl playing at centres, would you want Hyman playing with them? I think he is a great third line guy. they don’t have enough elite wingers. 

No question that Kane has produced, but was  the most pressing need? He added physicality and is great up close.but he really isn’t a give and go guy. Long term, think that a guy like Taffoli is better suited for McDavid, even though long term they need to get McDavid his Kurji, and let Draisaitl be messier (if they could afford him long term, Kane could be his Anderson).

The reason I brought up Taffoli is that the oilers had a chance to try and add a winger and add Chiarot on D (easily an upgrade on Russell and Ceci, and arguably old man Keith). I think moving Puljujarvi and their first could have improved them as much as possible after the moves Holland made last summer. Holland seems to have a fetish for overpaying washed up old men.

Go Aves.

Go Panthers...not that i like them any more than Tampa, but for a change.

Leafs & Oilers showing why need good defense/goaltending and dumping $$ into couple forwards wont cut it.

Habs gone opposite route and that didnt work neither.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Leafs & Oilers showing why need good defense/goaltending and dumping $$ into couple forwards wont cut it.

Habs gone opposite route and that didnt work neither.

The Leafs didn't lose because of goaltending, they scored 1 goal in the deciding game.  Smith has had one bad game in the last month. You are cherry picking. 

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree Hyman isn’t a “bad” player and I like him on the third line. Has skill and works his ass off. But if they actually had both McDavid and Draisaitl playing at centres, would you want Hyman playing with them? I think he is a great third line guy. they don’t have enough elite wingers. 

No question that Kane has produced, but was  the most pressing need? He added physicality and is great up close.but he really isn’t a give and go guy. Long term, think that a guy like Taffoli is better suited for McDavid, even though long term they need to get McDavid his Kurji, and let Draisaitl be messier (if they could afford him long term, Kane could be his Anderson).

The reason I brought up Taffoli is that the oilers had a chance to try and add a winger and add Chiarot on D (easily an upgrade on Russell and Ceci, and arguably old man Keith). I think moving Puljujarvi and their first could have improved them as much as possible after the moves Holland made last summer. Holland seems to have a fetish for overpaying washed up old men.

The great thing about the Kane acquisition is that it cost the Oilers nothing except a little cap room, no picks, no prospects.  Was there a better acquisition before the trade deadline? However I don't see how they will afford him going forward because someone will pay him what he wants and he won't be cheap.

I am not sure Toffoli is better suited for McDavid. He certainly has the hockey IQ to play with him  but not sure his skating his good enough. Kane's physicality also provides McDavid with a certain amount of protection as he willing to drop the gloves with anyone and is one of the best light heavyweights in the league. 

No doubt Chiarot would have helped but there is no way Edmonton could have topped Florida's offer. It would have been embarrassing for the Oilers to give up their 1st this year as they have already traded their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. Heck they gave up 2 x 2nd round picks for Andreas Anthanasiou  and he scored 1 goal for them. What a bonehead trade that was.  How much do you think it would have cost the Oilers for both Toffoli and Chiarot?  I don't they could have afforded both of them. 

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

They should be trading him as soon as their season is over, should they not, for picks or prospects?

Well yes, they should see if they can do better than 1st and 3rd offer sheet comp

Or they should clear cap space if they can.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Well yes, they should see if they can do better than 1st and 3rd offer sheet comp

Or they should clear cap space if they can.

I don't think there is any way someone will give up better than a 1st and 3rd for Puljujarvi.  He scored 14 goals and a chunk of that was when he spent some time with McDavid. He is 24 now so if he was going to develop into something special we would have seen more evidence by now.  I think they will clear some space and sign him. 

He's been really good at 5v5 this year, even when he wasn't playing with McDavid.  There is more there, he's been a bit unlucky not to score more and he's not getting the PP time he deserves either.  I think on another club he could take off. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think there is any way someone will give up better than a 1st and 3rd for Puljujarvi ...

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

He's been really good at 5v5 this year, even when he wasn't playing with McDavid.  There is more there, he's been a bit unlucky not to score more and he's not getting the PP time he deserves either.  I think on another club he could take off. 

Guess the unknown is "take off" to what ... 20 ... 25 ... given his 15g/82gms career average, much more than that seems unlikely, or at least risky for a team to expect ... which is not to say he could not attract an offer sheet (or an offer as a UFA if Oilers were to choose to not extend a qualifying offer) ... but not certain any team offers the $4,110,732 to $6,166,096 offer sheet necessary to trigger a 1st & 3rd as compensation if the Oilers do qualify him.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I agree there is more upside, hard to say what he will top out at.  He has really matured and worked hard this year. 

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Guess the unknown is "take off" to what ... 20 ... 25 ... given his 15g/82gms career average, much more than that seems unlikely, or at least risky for a team to expect ... which is not to say he could not attract an offer sheet (or an offer as a UFA if Oilers were to choose to not extend a qualifying offer) ... but not certain any team offers the $4,110,732 to $6,166,096 offer sheet necessary to trigger a 1st & 3rd as compensation if the Oilers do qualify him.

I could maybe see a team like Seattle offering just under 4.1M to see if the Oilers bite. It would only cost them a 2nd round pick if the Oilers did not match.  That might be a gamble worth taking as the Oilers don't have a lot of cap room. 

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

That defence...

Cody Ceci..... ouch

Kris Russell.... yikes.

Calgary in 5

That's the issue. Their forwards are ok now, but that defense is atrocious. 

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

That's the issue. Their forwards are ok now, but that defense is atrocious. 

I dont even think the forwards are ok.  The bottom six is a mess.

They get caved in any time McDavid is off the ice.