2022 NHL Playoffs

Neech

1 hour ago, DON said:

Hedman 0.67pts/gm

Makar 1.01pts/gm

Maybe Hedman is better defending, i dont watch them enough to know much about either.

Hedman is dominant and yes is better defending. 

That said Makar isn't the guy I'm taking out of top 5. 

Probably would be Draisaitl as I think he benefits from McDavid and his defensive game brings him down.  Still a top 10 player, but I wouldn't have him ahead of Hedman and Vasilevskiy. 

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really like McKinnon, but I absolutely love Makar. What he is accomplishing at his age is unbelievable.

Makar is simply in a class by himself as an offensive defenseman.  In the last minute of a game leading by a goal I might rather have Hedman out there but there is nobody in Makar's league as an offensive dynamo from the backend.  Playing in Colorado he likely doesn't get the recognition he deserves. 

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Draisaitl was an absolute beast tonight.  I didn't see this coming but it's good for the 1st round pick. 

This would have been the first game in the playoffs that for a while you could have said McDavid didn’t win the game for the oilers for - until he did. But yeah, Draisaitl was great - although I find him scary in different  ways offensively and defensively.

I would wager that 75% of gms would want the Coleman redirection to count. I can't believe that goal was called back. My daughter was at that game in her oilers sweater. In ot, I told her if oilers score, get a t shirt in as soon as possible.

Imagine if the Habs were paying $6.1 million to a forward who had no goals and just one assist in 12 playoff games, and his coach trusted him so little that he's the least used regular player on the team. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Imagine if the Habs were paying $6.1 million to a forward who had no goals and just one assist in 12 playoff games, and his coach trusted him so little that he's the least used regular player on the team. 

I love it.

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Draisaitl was an absolute beast tonight.  I didn't see this coming but it's good for the 1st round pick. 

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I would wager that 75% of gms would want the Coleman redirection to count. I can't believe that goal was called back. My daughter was at that game in her oilers sweater. In ot, I told her if oilers score, get a t shirt in as soon as possible.

I was surprised. I've seen enough skate "repositioning" goals count because it wasn't a "distinct kicking motion". That one seemed to be called back on intent. Yes, he angled his skate, but not what I would call a kick.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

He is also a -4 which is the worst plus/minus on the Carolina team in the playoffs.  It seems like he has regressed. 

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

This would have been the first game in the playoffs that for a while you could have said McDavid didn’t win the game for the oilers for - until he did. But yeah, Draisaitl was great - although I find him scary in different  ways offensively and defensively.

Draisaitl is so strong on the puck. if they play Colorado it will be fun to watch.  St. Louis isn't going away though, Colorado sure blew an opportunity to close it out.  Sometimes I wonder if Colorado has that killer instinct. 

I find it really surprising Calgary was so easily steamrolled by Edmonton. A lot of it probably comes back to Markstrom. He battled, but had obviously lost confidence. When your team has had Veniza-calibre goaltending all year and that suddenly evaporates, it’s probably hard to adjust.

16 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He is also a -4 which is the worst plus/minus on the Carolina team in the playoffs.  It seems like he has regressed. 

Too bad for the young fella, but dont feel the same for the Owner.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I find it really surprising Calgary was so easily steamrolled by Edmonton. A lot of it probably comes back to Markstrom. He battled, but had obviously lost confidence. When your team has had Veniza-calibre goaltending all year and that suddenly evaporates, it’s probably hard to adjust.

There have been studies on Markstrom.  His effectiveness goes way down when he's tired.  The Flames playing him in every game down the stretch (something like 20 straight starts at one point) didn't help him in the playoffs. 

Watch the goals in this series (including the OT winner), a huge number are all in the same spot.... about 2 feet off the ice and on the glove side.  Fatigue seems to have slowed down his glove. 

Vladar isn't a bad goalie.  They need to use him a lot more in the regular season. Instead of playing 20 games, he should be closer to 35 which would leave Markstrom ready for the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Plus there is always a lot more pressure on the favourite. Calgary barely got by Dallas. Calgary had a great regular season, worked their butts off for 82 games, I wonder if their gas tank had enough in it.  They will have an interesting off season as they have a lot of big names to resign. Calgary is a team I see regressing a bit next season. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Plus there is always a lot more pressure on the favourite. Calgary barely got by Dallas. Calgary had a great regular season, worked their butts off for 82 games, I wonder if their gas tank had enough in it.  They will have an interesting off season as they have a lot of big names to resign. Calgary is a team I see regressing a bit next season. 

All the talk in Van is that Johnny Hockey is likely to walk. Very interesting to see how that plays out. His crummy performance against the Oil ought to cause enthusiastic GMs to pause at least a little bit.

The Habs need the level of elite talent we are seeing in these playoffs so that we can all say that the rebuild has worked

If we have stifling suffocating defensive hockey after Hugh-Gort's rebuild, it will be a missed opportunity

23 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If we have stifling suffocating defensive hockey after Hugh-Gort's rebuild, it will be a missed opportunity

There is zero evidence that HuGo is moving in that direction,  They want a fast team and every move they have made so far indicates that especially hiring St. Louis as coach. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is zero evidence that HuGo is moving in that direction,  They want a fast team and every move they have made so far indicates that especially hiring St. Louis as coach. 

I agree, hence my comment

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The Habs need the level of elite talent we are seeing in these playoffs so that we can all say that the rebuild has worked

Price for MacKinnon! Make it so. (joking)

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

There have been studies on Markstrom.  His effectiveness goes way down when he's tired.  The Flames playing him in every game down the stretch (something like 20 straight starts at one point) didn't help him in the playoffs. 

Watch the goals in this series (including the OT winner), a huge number are all in the same spot.... about 2 feet off the ice and on the glove side.  Fatigue seems to have slowed down his glove. 

Vladar isn't a bad goalie.  They need to use him a lot more in the regular season. Instead of playing 20 games, he should be closer to 35 which would leave Markstrom ready for the playoffs. 

Sutter has always ridden his goalies hard. He applies his rancher mentality to his goalies.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:36 AM, Commandant said:

And on top of that they signed him for 8 more years. 

Quite a commitment to give the Habs the finger. Good luck with that Canes

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

And on top of that they signed him for 8 more years. 

Quite a commitment to give the Habs the finger. Good luck with that Canes

4.8M/year is not chump change for a guy who could be no more than a #3 centre.  Aho will be a UFA in a couple years. hmmm.......