2022 NHL Playoffs

Neech

Am I the only one wondering if it will be a final score of 10-7 for the Avs?  i.e. it seems very similar to game 1 vs Oils & Flames.

Its been fairly wild how most of the goals have been followed by a goal from the other team within 10-20 secs.  

That Oil game was fun to watch but I don’t understand the rules anymore. 

That goal was OFFSIDE 

They claim he didn’t have control of the puck but he carried that puck from his own blue line. That goal completely changed the game. 

NHL is a nonsense league sometimes 

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That Oil game was fun to watch but I don’t understand the rules anymore. 

That goal was OFFSIDE 

They claim he didn’t have control of the puck but he carried that puck from his own blue line. That goal completely changed the game. 

NHL is a nonsense league sometimes 

Ya. That one confused me too. So of your guy is tagging up, you just have to not touch the puck for a second, and it's not offside? 

30 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Ya. That one confused me too. So of your guy is tagging up, you just have to not touch the puck for a second, and it's not offside? 

Going by the rule, he did not touch the puck once it crossed the blue line until Nichuskin touched up. Was that on purpose? Surely not. Has the rule been so literally applied 100% of the time? Absolutely not. Such is the NHL.

Personally, I was surprised the goal was upheld, but I can understand the application of the rule.

I will say, the more I watch McDavid play, I don't understand how he is not penalized more.

Only a fool would bet against the Lightning. With six Conference Finals appearances in the last eight years, that is quietly one of the great teams of all time - certainly one of the great teams of the cap era, along with the Hawks in their heyday. To win three straight Cups in the cap era would be truly historic. 

I’m guessing the parallel here is with the Toronto series, where the Lightning need to wake up to their opponent’s speed.

That said, do I want them to win? NOPE. 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Lehkonen is getting significant minutes with good players, PP time and he is flourishing. 

We may have undervalued him. 

Smith isn’t good enough for the Oilers to advance and they need a winger to play with McDavid. I wonder if Drouin would fit the bill?

Habs got Barron and a 2nd, Barron is good value and the trade may become great if the Habs pick a winner with that 2nd

Drouin would do great in Edmonton, but with their cap situation and their lack of depth, I do not know what the Habs may get

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs got Barron and a 2nd, Barron is good value and the trade may become great if the Habs pick a winner with that 2nd

Drouin would do great in Edmonton, but with their cap situation and their lack of depth, I do not know what the Habs may get

I agree that the Habs got really good value with the Lehkonen trade. He is a much better fit on a contending team and it shouldn't be a surprise that he is doing really well with Colorado. 

I don't think Drouin has much value on the trade market, he might get some interest at the trade deadline. Kane is actually a much better fit in Edmonton if they can resign him as he provides a physical presence that is really helpful for McDavid although they have played him on different lines at times. 

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Smith isn’t good enough for the Oilers to advance and they need a winger to play with McDavid. I wonder if Drouin would fit the bill?

They can't afford him.  They have a little over $7M in cap space and need to sign/re-sign at least four forwards and a goalie just to get to the minimum-sized roster.  Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are RFAs of note and if they felt they have the money to go after someone like Drouin, they'd probably want to put that towards trying to re-sign Kane who's a UFA.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:56 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

In my opinion the top 5 players in the NHL in no particular order other than McDavid being #1  are McDavid, Mathews, MacKinnon, Makar and Draisatl.  Not sure who else would be close. 

If Edmonton plays Colorado then if nothing else there will be some pretty exciting offense. 

On 5/26/2022 at 12:47 PM, Commandant said:

Not a bad list. 

I think Vasilevskiy and Hedman have pretty good cases to be included. 

I don't watch that many games in the West, but we're quick to ditch out the guy who just posted the best offensive season for a dman since Phil Housley in 92-93.

It’s being suggested that Drouin might be part of the Weber package going to the Yotes so add that on top of the fact the Oil can’t afford him. 

Im not sure what Edmonton can do to turn this around both in this series and going forward. They need a goalie and a good winger (another D would help too). 

Part of this of course is that the Avs are solid from top to bottom and if Francouze can keep playing like this then the series is over. 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Im not sure what Edmonton can do to turn this around both in this series and going forward. They need a goalie and a good winger (another D would help too) ...

As has been pointed out, with their cap situation (estimated $11.3M if Klefboom again is LTIR), the Oilers may not be able to even keep what they have ... which includes two of their top 6 TOI forwards in these playoffs (Kane and Yamamoto) and another of their top 9 (Puljujärvi), let alone add much anything ... Holland will have to make some hard decisions in order to work some magic ... but even then, tough too make clear significant cap space or make impactful trades when everyone making more than $4.5 million has some form of NMC/NTC.

I've been going to the Avs playoffs games this year. Really fun atmosphere, and very entertaining to watch.  Makar on McDavid was quite the matchup. It was also interesting on a few shifts, I focused on Kadri on the ice against McDavid, and just mirroring his every move. It'll be interesting to see adjustments and home ice for the Oilers. Edmonton definitely seemed to get frustrated in the third. Kane was in on Makar a few times, I guess he made good on his comments to get engaged with him.

Seeing the TNT announcers prior to the game (and after) outside of the arena, Gretzky is a stiff. Bissonnette, Carter, (and Tocchet to a smaller degree) were very interactive with the crowd. Gretz looked like he would rather be anywhere else.

3 hours ago, huzer said:

... Seeing the TNT announcers prior to the game (and after) outside of the arena, Gretzky is a stiff. Bissonnette, Carter, (and Tocchet to a smaller degree) were very interactive with the crowd. Gretz looked like he would rather be anywhere else.

IMO he has always had the public personality of a piece of dry white toast ... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Holy hell I couldn’t believe how boring and uninteresting he was. 

Gretzky stinks as a broadcaster but I bet he gets paid

He stunk as a coach as well. Was a hell of a player though, and the name brand is what matters to USA networks - and not many hockey players that have the same name recognition  for USA viewers. Why else was Elway there?  When is the last time a hockey player was on a NFL playoff telecast. Don’t remember St Louis or Lecavalier being asked to join the broadcast team for the NFL when Tampa won.

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Im not sure what Edmonton can do to turn this around both in this series and going forward. They need a goalie and a good winger (another D would help too). 

Part of this of course is that the Avs are solid from top to bottom and if Francouze can keep playing like this then the series is over. 

The bottom line here is that the Avs are an elite team, the Oilers certainly have some elite all world talent but they are not an elite team. The Avs have no holes.  The Avs are also hungry from previous failures which makes them even more dangerous. Playing the Avs is far different than playing the Flames who I think over achieved this year. I think the Oilers take 1 game at home and then it's over in 5. 

7 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I don't watch that many games in the West, but we're quick to ditch out the guy who just posted the best offensive season for a dman since Phil Housley in 92-93.

I don't think anybody is ditching Roman Josi who is an elite player and had a terrific year. I just wouldn't put him in my top 5 but that is just my opinion and my opinion is likely biased toward players I see more often which I guess is natural.  Josi did have a phenomenal year (96pts) and didn't get the recognition he deserved for it.  If he played in Toronto they would be debating whether he or Mathews deserved the MVP award.