2022 NHL Playoffs

Neech

49 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The bottom line here is that the Avs are an elite team, the Oilers certainly have some elite all world talent but they are not an elite team. The Avs have no holes.  The Avs are also hungry from previous failures which makes them even more dangerous. Playing the Avs is far different than playing the Flames who I think over achieved this year. I think the Oilers take 1 game at home and then it's over in 5. 

I agree that they will win game 5. Either on the back of McDavid or Draisaitle. 

Avs are solid

49 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think anybody is ditching Roman Josi who is an elite player and had a terrific year. I just wouldn't put him in my top 5 but that is just my opinion and my opinion is likely biased toward players I see more often which I guess is natural.  Josi did have a phenomenal year (96pts) and didn't get the recognition he deserved for it.  If he played in Toronto they would be debating whether he or Mathews deserved the MVP award. 

M surprisEd Toronto isn’t saying Matthews and Marner both deserve MVP consideration. 🙄

they already have a guy nominated for the Calder, who I don’t think belongs in the final three candidates. 

8 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I don't watch that many games in the West, but we're quick to ditch out the guy who just posted the best offensive season for a dman since Phil Housley in 92-93.

I think Josi is a great player, but I'm not sure I have him as the same level as Makar and Hedman. 

He'd be the top of the next tier though. 

I think that if the Oilers re-sign Kane then they have their winger who plays with McDavid. 

They need a goalie, a top 4 (and preferably top 2) defenceman, and depth in their bottom six in that order IMO. 

The Oilers top 6 hasn't been their issue, they have scored plenty of goals. 

I assume most are pulling for NYR to win series?

Not a Ranger fan, but kinda sorta would like to see them win, i guess.

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs got Barron and a 2nd, Barron is good value and the trade may become great if the Habs pick a winner with that 2nd

Maybe yes, but that second-rounder is essentially a lottery ticket, no guarantees that it's going to pan out.

In any case, I do think the Avs are also very happy with this trade.

I love watching shesterkin. He pushes laterally so well, and is back on his skates so fast. It's amazing how mobile he is, while bring positionaly so strong. Mobile like quick. Positional like price or lunkvist.

Vasilevskiy looks shakier than I’ve ever seen him. Not terrible by any means, just not on his game. He is in the process of joining Markstrom as a Vezina-calibre G who suddenly looks rattled in the crunch during these glorious, offence-friendly 2022 playoffs.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Too bad about the Oil. They had a nice run, considering that, as a team, they’re really not all that great. 

Yup, are toast now and Habs will get their 2nd this year.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Smith isn’t good enough for this level. That 5-hole goal needed to be stopped. 

Losing Khadri is going to hurt and I think Kane should be suspended. It was a dirty hit

Agree on all counts.

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Losing Khadri is going to hurt and I think Kane should be suspended. It was a dirty hit

Smith has had a great run for the Oilers, that was not a good goal but goaltending hasn't been the Oiler's issue. 

I watched replays of the hit multiple times, it wasn't a hard hit at all but Kadri was in an awkward position.  If Kadri wasn't hurt then there would be zero talk of a suspension. Should Kadri have been suspended for taking out Binnington?  I don't think so.  I don't think a suspension is warranted for Kane here 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Smith has had a great run for the Oilers, that was not a good goal but goaltending hasn't been the Oiler's issue. 

I watched replays of the hit multiple times, it wasn't a hard hit at all but Kadri was in an awkward position.  If Kadri wasn't hurt then there would be zero talk of a suspension. Should Kadri have been suspended for taking out Binnington?  I don't think so.  I don't think a suspension is warranted for Kane here 

Kadri has been suspended for similar so I think it’s an easy suspension but the NHL are not consistent so who knows. 

Smith made some great saves for sure but he lets in mediocre goals most games. You aren’t beating a team like the Avs in the conference finals with just good goaltending. Francouze was stellar 

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The oilers are winning in spite of smith.  Hes not the only problem but hes a huge part of it.  Their bottom 6 and defence and goaltending are all bad.

Giving up 3 goals on 42 shots against a team like Colorado is not a bad night.  But people on this forum like to dump on Smith at the 1st opportunity.  He has had a pretty good run. 

Colorado is simply a better team.  

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It was a dirty hit for sure. As for Kadri, let him reap what he sows. Do not like this player. 

35 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Giving up 3 goals on 42 shots against a team like Colorado is not a bad night.  But people on this forum like to dump on Smith at the 1st opportunity.  He has had a pretty good run. 

Colorado is simply a better team.  

It’s not just how, but when Smith gives up a goal. Grant fuhr used to let in a soft goal here and there. But when the game was on the line he made the key saves. Smith hasn’t made the key saves when needed. You also never know what you are going to get from him.

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s not just how, but when Smith gives up a goal. Grant fuhr used to let in a soft goal here and there. But when the game was on the line he made the key saves. Smith hasn’t made the key saves when needed. You also never know what you are going to get from him.

You are cherry picking based on the last game. Smith has made a lot of key saves in the playoffs this year to keep the Oilers in a lot of the games. 

59 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

It was a dirty hit for sure. As for Kadri, let him reap what he sows. Do not like this player. 

I feel like Kadri has been making an effort to play cleaner and leverage his skills instead this season. His history is bad, no question.

But whether the player being targeted has a bad history or not, dirty hits should not be allowed.

47 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are cherry picking based on the last game. Smith has made a lot of key saves in the playoffs this year to keep the Oilers in a lot of the games. 

He also let in a shot from behind centre ice against the flames. Every series, he has let in a horrible goal, at the wrong time.  The difference is that the oilers were scoring 4, 5, 6, 7, or even more goals in those games.   How many games have McDavid, Draisaitl, or even Kane or Hyman been the main contributors vs Smith.  He has been notorious for being spectacular and than letting in a horrible goal, or pretty weak goals.

the oilers are not deep enough to win with this type of goaltending.

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He also let in a shot from behind centre ice against the flames. Every series, he has let in a horrible goal, at the wrong time.  The difference is that the oilers were scoring 4, 5, 6, 7, or even more goals in those games.   How many games have McDavid, Draisaitl, or even Kane or Hyman been the main contributors vs Smith.  He has been notorious for being spectacular and than letting in a horrible goal, or pretty weak goals.

the oilers are not deep enough to win with this type of goaltending.

I don't dispute that Smith has let in a couple bad goals and had had a couple bad games. Overall his goaltending has been good in the playoffs and was he was exceptional the last part of the season. 

His save % during the regular season this year was .917 (same as Carey Price's career %) despite a bad start and playing behind what many on this forum consider a bad defense. His save % in the playoffs this year is .915 (better than Quick, Markstrom and Kuemper). 

I am not saying Mike Smith is an all world goalie. He is not. He is 40 years old and the Oilers have to do something going forward to stabilize their goalie situation. I am just saying that Mike Smith has been a lot better than many on this forum give him credit for.  Colorado is simply a better team and I will be surprised if they don't win the cup.