Jump to content

What are our goaltending options going forward?


 Share

Recommended Posts

We've all heard the ongoing discussion/debate over the past month regarding what the future holds for Carey Price. He recently said that his knee is still swelling and that he does not see himself being able to play as often as what a regular starting goalie would play in the NHL next season. He also made the comment that his preparation for the last game of the season he played in was as if it was his final game in his career or as a Montreal Canadien. All of that sounds ominous. 

 

So with his situation and future still very unsettled I have been thinking about what our options are going forward. How could that position unfold for us over the next 4 months. Here are our options as I see them. 

 

1. Carey Price recovers over the summer and the rest and therapy on his knee is successful and he returns for the 2022-23 season as our staring goalie and Jake returns as our backup and Cayden Primeau is back in Laval as their starter. We either trade Montembault or send him to Laval if he clears wavers. 

 

2. Carey Price is unable to continue playing and goes on LTIR or retires. Most likely LTIR so he doesn't forfeit all that money. Jake Allen becomes our starter for his final year and either Montembault or Primeau is his backup.

 

3. I'm not sure if this option is doable but I want to mention it because this would be my choice. If Carey Price is unable to play we go out and trade (pay the price) for a young, very promising goalie from a team that has an established starter and begin to use Jake Allen for the 2022-23 year to mentor this young goalie with him being the intended starter for the 2023-24 season with him and Jake Allen possibly switching places as the starter and backup for that season. The thinking here is trying to put in place our next Carey Price for years to come. My question is does this type of young goalie exist with a team who would be willing to trade him. I'm thinking back to the Jaroslav Halak situation when we had both him and Carey Price and had to trade one of them. 

 

4. We trade for an established goalie for the next few years if Jake Allen for any reason isn't able to carry the full load next year and as we've been doing continue to draft goalies hoping to catch lightening in a bottle. 

 

Those are my thoughts. What do you think? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Young, very promising goalies that are available for trade are unfortunately pretty hard to find. This would need to be a #3, and the team would need to be super confident that their two starters are capable and healthy for the long term. Not many teams would willingly trade away a likely future #1 goalie.

 

If Price cannot play next year (and beyond), I expect we'll be at #2 or some variation of that. If Montembeault is the backup, and plays maybe 30 games (I wouldn't expect Allen to handle much more than 50), we'd probably see 5-10 weak games by him.

 

Or sign a UFA goalie, leveraging the Price cap savings. A fair number of UFA goalies available but the good ones will cost significant money.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2023/caphit/all/goalies/ufa?limits=gp-10-90

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Young, very promising goalies that are available for trade are unfortunately pretty hard to find. This would need to be a #3, and the team would need to be super confident that their two starters are capable and healthy for the long term. Not many teams would willingly trade away a likely future #1 goalie.

 

If Price cannot play next year (and beyond), I expect we'll be at #2 or some variation of that. If Montembeault is the backup, and plays maybe 30 games (I wouldn't expect Allen to handle much more than 50), we'd probably see 5-10 weak games by him.

 

Or sign a UFA goalie, leveraging the Price cap savings. A fair number of UFA goalies available but the good ones will cost significant money.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2023/caphit/all/goalies/ufa?limits=gp-10-90

 

Bring back Dustin Tokarski! 

 

JJ, I was shocked to see him still in the NHL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goalies...unpredictable players they are.

Even in the draft, it seems goalies go on a run once the first one is chosen.

 

In one draft ranking, Tyler Brennan (#1 NA goalie) was ranked 81st.

I doubt he will last that long, a big (6'4") WHL kid.

 

I fully expect habs to draft at least 1 goalie, will they use late 2nd pick on Brennan, or maybe big Finn 6'4" Topias Leinonen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Put in the zamboni driver to ensure we finish last again and get a chance at Bedard  👍

 

:nuts:  :nuts:  :nuts:  I didn't know Montembeault also drove the Zamboni :nuts:  :nuts:  :nuts:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2022 at 2:19 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

 

:nuts:  :nuts:  :nuts:  I didn't know Montembeault also drove the Zamboni :nuts:  :nuts:  :nuts:

 

I hope Montembeault heals well and comes back in top shape to make me eat crow

 

Eat Crow GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

I hope Montembeault heals well and comes back in top shape to make me eat crow

 

Eat Crow GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

 

 

 

 

Well ... he will need both hands to drive the Zamboni

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...