2022 IIHF world championships

tomh009

Since this doesn’t really fit anywhere else …

Armia 1g+1a in Finland 5-0 win over Norway

Farrell 0g+0a in USA 4-1 win over Latvia

and

PLD 2g+0a on Canada 5-3 win over Germany

Anderson 1g1a, hope he piles up some points plays great and NO injuries , please.:pray:

:canada:

, just noticed they listed average team size/ages; Canada 6'3" 198lb 25. A big crew.

1 hour ago, DON said:

just noticed they listed average team size/ages; Canada 6'3" 198lb 25. A big crew.

Something that I hope is a secondary goal in the coming draft: big fast skilled players

Habs will not win a cup with six Caufield-like forwards in the lineup

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Something that I hope is a secondary goal in the coming draft: big fast skilled players

Sorry, i wasnt saying it was a good/bad thing, simply is a large team. And hope skill, skating, IQ play much bigger role than size to new Mgmt. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Sorry, i wasnt saying it was a good/bad thing, simply is a large team. And hope skill, skating, IQ play much bigger role than size to new Mgmt. 

Agreed, elite skill, skating, IQ

Habs also need a few of these to be big too, just a couple of them

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Agreed, elite skill, skating, IQ

Habs also need a few of these to be big too, just a couple of them

I loved the “Smurf” team (2010-12), but of course you’re right. You need some size in your core lineup.

Me, draft BPA every day of the week. Where we have consistently gotten into trouble over the years is in drafting ‘for’ size. Personally, I’d rather draft a Caufield and trade him later for size that we know can play, than pass on a Caufield because he’s small - know what I mean?

I have gone through the prospect pools of most NHL teams a few times, I am always surprised to see so many smallish players projected high in so many teams. It is rare to see a big skilled player lingering in the AHL.

I don't have hard data to back it up, but I am beginning to think that the draisaitl, mcdavid, matthews, overchkin mold is very rare. Big elite scorers

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I have gone through the prospect pools of most NHL teams a few times, I am always surprised to see so many smallish players projected high in so many teams. It is rare to see a big skilled player lingering in the AHL.

I don't have hard data to back it up, but I am beginning to think that the draisaitl, mcdavid, matthews, overchkin mold is very rare. Big elite scorers

I wouldn’t call McDavid big. Elite absolutely, but he is under 200 lb and around average size for a hockey player. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I loved the “Smurf” team (2010-12), but of course you’re right. You need some size in your core lineup.

Me, draft BPA every day of the week. Where we have consistently gotten into trouble over the years is in drafting ‘for’ size. Personally, I’d rather draft a Caufield and trade him later for size that we know can play, than pass on a Caufield because he’s small - know what I mean?

I hate going after size over skill. It’s one thing looking for the complete package, but we should never be drafting size and hope their will be enough skill. 
seen too many dumb 1st round picks over the year based on size and bloodlines, leadership, rather than focusing on skill - Mcarron, tinordi. Chipchura, Matt Higgins, Brad brown, terry Ryan, turner Stevenson, Brent Bilodeau (I remember a gazette article comparing his physicality toyoung Robinson 🙄). Even guys like a komisarik who was a top pairing dman - only becuase of Markov), were reaches because of his limited offensive ability when you had skilled guys like Hemsky available, on a team starving for offense.

im hoping they focus guys with high level of skill, hockey sense, and  elite skating. Other factors like character and leadership should only come into play once you can check off the first three boxes. Use your mid to late round picks to gamble and leadership and size.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hate going after size over skill. It’s one thing looking for the complete package, but we should never be drafting size and hope their will be enough skill. 
seen too many dumb 1st round picks over the year based on size and bloodlines, leadership, rather than focusing on skill - Mcarron, tinordi. Chipchura, Matt Higgins, Brad brown, terry Ryan, turner Stevenson, Brent Bilodeau (I remember a gazette article comparing his physicality toyoung Robinson 🙄). Even guys like a komisarik who was a top pairing dman - only becuase of Markov), were reaches because of his limited offensive ability when you had skilled guys like Hemsky available, on a team starving for offense.

im hoping they focus guys with high level of skill, hockey sense, and  elite skating. Other factors like character and leadership should only come into play once you can check off the first three boxes. Use your mid to late round picks to gamble and leadership and size.

Agree 100%. Skill, speed, hockey IQ - talent, in other words - first. Everything else second. 

Anderson 1g+1a, 15:05 TOI in Canada 5-1 win over Italy

Farrell 0g+1a, 11:22 TOI in USA 3-2 OT win over Latvia

Dichow 20/25 saves, 40:00 TOI in Denmark 6-0 loss to Switzerland

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Anderson 1g+1a, 15:05 TOI in Canada 5-1 win over Italy

Farrell 0g+1a, 11:22 TOI in USA 3-2 OT win over Latvia

Dichow 20/25 saves, 40:00 TOI in Denmark 6-0 loss to Switzerland

Didn’t even know Italy had a hockey team🙄

Anderson 0g+2a, 14:54 TOI in Canada 4-1 win over Slovakia

Armia 0g+0a, 15:09 TOI in Finland 4-1 win over USA

Farrell 0g+0a, 15:53 TOI (as forward) in USA 1-4 loss to Finland

1 hour ago, DON said:

Good amount of icetime for Farrell.

Wonder how he has looked, any idea?

I didn't have time to stream today's game.

iihf.com provides streaming for all games ... unless you (and your VPN connection) are in Canada.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Anderson 0g+1a, 13:38 TOI in Canada 6-3 win over Kazakhstan.

Farrell 0g+2a, 19:07 TOI (as forward) in US 3-0 win over Great Britain.

Is the powerhorse doing his thing over there, running over and/or crushing poor Kazakhstanians?:popcorn:

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Is the powerhorse doing his thing over there, running over and/or crushing poor Kazakhstanians?:popcorn:

The big ice surface may be working out well for him -- I do think it is for Farrell.

On 5/19/2022 at 6:22 PM, tomh009 said:

The big ice surface may be working out well for him -- I do think it is for Farrell.

I could see Anderson liking the big ice. It’d give him more room to blast by D on the outside and then cut in toward the goal - which, to exaggerate only slightly, is basically the only thing he ever does out there. He’s a one-trick pony but it’s a good trick. 

Armia 1g+0a, 14:17 TOI in Finland 6-0 win over Great Britain (yesterday)

Armia 0g+0a, 12:43 TOI in Finland 3-0 win over Austria (today)

Anderson 0g+0a, 13:59 TOI in Canada 3-6 loss to Switzerland

Farrell 0g+0a, 17:20 TOI in USA 2-3 OT loss to Sweden

Dichow on the bench in Denmark 3-0 win over France

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Farrell 0g+0a, 17:20 TOI in USA 2-3 OT loss to Sweden

Dichow on the bench in Denmark 3-0 win over France

Farrell was up on the top line for this one and has clearly made a good impression on the coaching staff.  Good to see.

On the other hand, Dichow being on the bench for all but two periods so far stings.  If he had played a little better against Switzerland, I think he'd have gotten another game (likely today's) by now.  They get Canada and Slovakia back-to-back; perhaps he's being set up to play against Canada and then come back with Dahm for a key game against the Slovaks.