2022 IIHF world championships

tomh009

3 hours ago, DON said:

Slafkovsky 7pts 6gms.

Don't want him at #1 but would be very happy for HuGo to make a SERIOUS try for NJD's pick at #2 ... but don't know if the Habs have what Fitzgerald et al would want ... maybe even 'Yotes at #3

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't want him at #1 but would be very happy for HuGo to make a SERIOUS try for NJD's pick at #2 ... but don't know if the Habs have what Fitzgerald et al would want ... maybe even 'Yotes at #3

The Habs don't have anything they'd be willing to part with to get either of those selections.  There are maybe two players in the organization that might move the needle - Suzuki and Caufield.  Something involving Anderson has been a popular suggestion by many fans but isn't the slightest bit plausible.

Top scorers in preliminary round:

1. Denis Malgin (SUI) 5g+7a

2. Roman Cervenka (CZE) 3g+8a

3. PLD (CAN) 6g+4a

4. Peter Schneider (AUT) 3g+6a

5. Juraj Slafkovsky (SLO) 3g+6a

6. Drake Batherson (CAN) 2g+7a

Goalies:

1. Jussi Olkinuora (FIN) 0.990

2. Jeremy Swayman (USA) 0.953

3. Arturs Silovs (LAT) 0.952

4. Magnus Hellberg (SWE) 0.932

5. Henri Buysse (FRA) 0.931

Habs players or prospects didn't fit into the top 30.

I wonder whether Malgin might be generating some interest from NHL teams again for a second try. He's only 25, scoring about a point/game in the Swiss league and very impressive in the WC.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I wonder whether Malgin might be generating some interest from NHL teams again for a second try. He's only 25, scoring about a point/game in the Swiss league and very impressive in the WC.

He's signed in Zurich through the 2024-25 season.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

He's signed in Zurich through the 2024-25 season.

I'm pretty sure an NHL team could buy him out of that contract. Buying and selling of contracted players is very common in top-level European sports, more so than trading.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I'm pretty sure an NHL team could buy him out of that contract. Buying and selling of contracted players is very common in top-level European sports, more so than trading.

An NHL team can't, as this would be a benefit given to a player outside the salary cap. 

He needs to buy out his own contract if he wants to come back to the NHL sooner. 

Farrell seems to be getting nice icetime in semi-finals so far in 1st period anyways and couple shots. And another scoring chance just now.

Havent noticed Armia, if even playing?  #10 is playing and screen on 1st Finn goal.

USA with all of 4 d-men in the game...i dont understand why so short and Harris not on team or playing, very poor planning?

45 minutes ago, DON said:

Farrell seems to be getting nice icetime in semi-finals so far in 1st period anyways and couple shots. And another scoring chance just now.

Havent noticed Armia, if even playing?  #10 is playing and screen on 1st Finn goal.

USA with all of 4 d-men in the game...i dont understand why so short and Harris not on team or playing, very poor planning?

They had dmen get hurt during the tournament and one left for a family emergency.

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They had dmen get hurt during the tournament and one left for a family emergency.

Ya, just heard that. Too bad Harris wasnt playing, already Seth Jones was dead tired on one goal. 

Farrell was on the PP anyways and looking good. 4 shots

Seth Jones 20:57 end 2nd (am sure he is praying they win..in regulation).

3 hours ago, DON said:

Wicked goal by Farrell ...

1 hour ago, DON said:

Armia with nice goal and 1a in the win.

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't recall if this has already been mentioned elsewhere:

dlbalr had, yes.

Wish Farrell won (not USA), but was pulling for Finland.

Crazy last 10minutes of 3rd period.

3 on 3 OT, wonder how long this will go? 5 minutes?

Back up goalie must be warmed up at least.:popcorn:

Anderson 1g+7a, +2, average 15:00 TOI

Armia 5g+3a, +9 (tied for 3rd in the tournament), 15:00 TOI

Farrell 2g+4a, +1, 14:00 TOI

Armia was pushed down to the third line but the Finns really rolled four balanced lines so he still got plenty of ice, just less stellar linemates.  Whether he stays or is traded, this tournament performance is a good thing.

Losing was disappointing ... to me, this even more-so

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Anderson 1g+7a, +2, average 15:00 TOI

Armia 5g+3a, +9 (tied for 3rd in the tournament), 15:00 TOI

Farrell 2g+4a, +1, 14:00 TOI

Armia was pushed down to the third line but the Finns really rolled four balanced lines so he still got plenty of ice, just less stellar linemates.  Whether he stays or is traded, this tournament performance is a good thing.

Interesting to see Anderson getting all those assists. Using teammates is normally the weakest part of his game. I imagine the large ice helped him to think more laterally, but I suppose one can hold out hope that it’s a sign of him adding new elements to his repertoire.