2022 Scouting Combine

Meller93

The combine is less than a week away. Do you guys expect it to have much impact on the draft? Typically I’ve found most of the results don’t do a whole lot for project, but no doubt they add a layer of information. 

I haven’t paid it a ton of attention in the past, but it could be an opportunity to spot a diamond in the rough, or contextualize a player’s success (or lack thereof).

I feel like Shane Wright might excel at some of this stuff. It’ll be interesting to follow

8 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

The combine is less than a week away. Do you guys expect it to have much impact on the draft? Typically I’ve found most of the results don’t do a whole lot for project, but no doubt they add a layer of information. 

I haven’t paid it a ton of attention in the past, but it could be an opportunity to spot a diamond in the rough, or contextualize a player’s success (or lack thereof).

I feel like Shane Wright might excel at some of this stuff. It’ll be interesting to follow

The top.5 or bottom 5 in some testing can help themselves.  Those in the mushy middle, it doesnt do much.

The biggests aspects of the combine are getting accurate heights and weights and the interviews with teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The top.5 or bottom 5 in some testing can help themselves.  Those in the mushy middle, it doesnt do much.

The biggests aspects of the combine are getting accurate heights and weights and the interviews with teams.

Yes it’s interesting for those who test poorly. Could suggest they have untapped potential (or a poor work ethic).

or just not capable of handling the physicality at the NHL level 

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Rumours are that they will watch the private combine from the famous Brossard Lodges. 

That's right, THE LODGE ! 

I Grew another Head!? WTF!? PROOF - GTA Online - GTAForums

HUG-GORT !!!

6 hours ago, Meller93 said:

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/harris-on-approaching-the-combine-just-be-yourself/c-334380332

Reading this made me realize the interview process might be the most important aspect of the combine 

I think the 2 bike tests (wingate/VO2 i think) results are said to be useful. Bench press, pull ups,... not so much. 

Interviewing high school kids, i guess cant hurt, but they are just young naïve kids and most are prepped how to answer with clichés (start em early) , for the interviews i assume.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DON said:

I think the 2 bike tests (wingate/VO2 i think) results are said to be useful. Bench press, pull ups,... not so much. 

Interviewing high school kids, i guess cant hurt, but they are just young naïve kids and most are prepped how to answer with clichés (start em early) , for the interviews i assume.

An interesting point that Hughes made was that players are at different places ... some have had private coaching all year, some have had time since year-end to rest and prepare, and some have just recently completed a long season ... I take it that this snapshot is not necessarily considered an accurate head-to-head comparison of players' capabilities.

12 hours ago, GHT120 said:

An interesting point that Hughes made was that players are at different places ... some have had private coaching all year, some have had time since year-end to rest and prepare, and some have just recently completed a long season ... I take it that this snapshot is not necessarily considered an accurate head-to-head comparison of players' capabilities.

I thought that was a really interesting part of his interview. 

They are more interested in who the prospects are as human beings than their physical prowess because of those things. 

That interview lead me to believe they are picking Wright because of his compete level

• Upvote 1

Basu, The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/3347348/2022/06/02/canadiens-draft-wright-slafkovsky-cooley/

"We can’t speak for what impressions they might have had after speaking to Canadian Shane Wright, Slovak Juraj Slafkovsky and American centre Logan Cooley. The Canadiens held a formal interview with each of them at the combine and also met with them in a more informal setting — they took Wright and Cooley out to dinner, while they asked to meet up again with Slafkovsky on Wednesday evening after interviewing him earlier that day."

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Official heights and weights from the combine: https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

Wright has put on a little weight at 199lbs, he was listed at 187 before. Not a bad thing as he seems to have a pretty solid frame. 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Jagger firkus still clocking in at a low 151, commandant will not like this 😂

If it means he drops and we snag him with a later pick then it's a good thing.  Whoever drafts him won't rush him, he does need to put on weight and get stronger as playing against men is a whole lot different but he has time as he just turned 18. I still think he goes later 1st round, very early 2nd as he has a lot of talent. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If it means he drops and we snag him with a later pick then it's a good thing.  Whoever drafts him won't rush him, he does need to put on weight and get stronger as playing against men is a whole lot different but he has time as he just turned 18. I still think he goes later 1st round, very early 2nd as he has a lot of talent. 

Yea, the thing is he may top out at around 5’11 170 lbs, which is workable but slight. If he is wiry and strong it could work. 

I like him a lot, but understand the concern with if he could handle the rigours of the NHL at that weight. Would be happy to take him in the second. Personally even at 33, but wouldn’t be surprised if he slips a bit 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Yea, the thing is he may top out at around 5’11 170 lbs, which is workable but slight. If he is wiry and strong it could work. 

I like him a lot, but understand the concern with if he could handle the rigours of the NHL at that weight. Would be happy to take him in the second. Personally even at 33, but wouldn’t be surprised if he slips a bit 

How many pull-ups did he do? :)

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Johnny Goudreau 5'9" 165lb 115pts this year. 609pts in 602gms (picked #104)

4 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Isn’t that about the size Gilmour was?

4 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Building up your body is something that can be worked on, building up your talent is a little harder.  I would also take him at 33.  I checked 4 mock drafts, one had him at 31, one at 21 and two didn't have him in the first round so there is a wide variance in opinion.  I think he is one of those home run swings, he will either be a 35 goal scorer, top 6 forward or a complete bust. He is not a bottom 6 type of guy.