Chris Wideman (?!?) extended for 2 years

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The $9M AAV is bad. The remaining six years of the contract are just plain ugly.

Isnt he a pretty good d-man on a crappy team and better than anything the Habs have?

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Isnt he a pretty good d-man on a crappy team and better than anything the Habs have?

The results don't demonstrate that. It's been five years since he scored 50 points for the Flames.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The results don't demonstrate that. It's been five years since he scored 50 points for the Flames.

Points arent the only thing a defenceman does.  The analytics and how he drives possession were outstanding in both calgary and carolina, like close to norris level.

Yes, he had a worse year in Jersey but is still much better than the rest of the team.

What an odd comparison.

I am not sure what point it makes to say that one would want Wideman at $750k rather than Hamilton at $9 million. I mean, most capologists on this bored would agree not because of Wideman’s $750k buy simply because of Hamilton’s 9 million.

May as well have just said, I wouldn’t want Hamilton on our team for $9 million without comparing Wideman because that fact really has nothing to do with Wideman, so it’s a random time to bring up the subject.

Hamilton missed 20 games or so because of a broken jaw last year. Wideman missed games because he was a healthy scratch.

Hamilton would be our first pairing defenseman, especially if Petry is gone. Wideman has fans hoping that he is here to be a 7th man, or in essence a hot dog eater.

There is no reason to pick an outlier of a season that Wideman had and say that it’s comparable to Hamilton’s output. Maybe we should try to see Wideman produce at that rate for a second time in his career before we do that. Because personally while I was happy with Wideman’s unexpected offensive side last year, I strongly doubt that it reproduces itself this year, for a myriad of reasons. Dougie Hamilton? One can say with confidence, he’ll produce at least, or roughly 40 points. 

I’d take Dougie Hamilton over Chris Wideman, thank you very much.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really don’t like this signing - probably the first move by the management team I don’t like. At least it’s cheap- not a stupid term or as much money as we handed out to Savard and Hoffman last summer. 

He’s not bad as a 7th dman, but he is not someone I’d want paired with any of our young dmen. With young players, you want veterans that will shelter them a bit, and be able to cover up their mistakes. Wideman is a guy that the kids will need to bail out on a regular basis if they are paired with him.

when you have steady Eddy, Savard and even Romanov you have enough stable défense first defenders already. 
People have been complaining about no luck moving dmen for years and now shit on the one we’ve got for next

to nothing to play half of  the games.

He is needed and fits the culture and the cap.

A known commodity for cheap.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

when you have steady Eddy, Savard and even Romanov you have enough stable défense first defenders already. 
People have been complaining about no luck moving dmen for years and now shit on the one we’ve got for next

to nothing to play half of  the games.

He is needed and fits the culture and the cap.

A known commodity for cheap.

Agree, but the problem is we need puck-movers who can actually play. Wideman is a #6-7 so he doesn’t really fit the bill. That said, this signing doesn’t do any harm, either.

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

What an odd comparison.

I am not sure what point it makes to say that one would want Wideman at $750k rather than Hamilton at $9 million. I mean, most capologists on this bored would agree not because of Wideman’s $750k buy simply because of Hamilton’s 9 million.

May as well have just said, I wouldn’t want Hamilton on our team for $9 million without comparing Wideman because that fact really has nothing to do with Wideman, so it’s a random time to bring up the subject.

Hamilton missed 20 games or so because of a broken jaw last year. Wideman missed games because he was a healthy scratch.

Hamilton would be our first pairing defenseman, especially if Petry is gone. Wideman has fans hoping that he is here to be a 7th man, or in essence a hot dog eater.

There is no reason to pick an outlier of a season that Wideman had and say that it’s comparable to Hamilton’s output. Maybe we should try to see Wideman produce at that rate for a second time in his career before we do that. Because personally while I was happy with Wideman’s unexpected offensive side last year, I strongly doubt that it reproduces itself this year, for a myriad of reasons. Dougie Hamilton? One can say with confidence, he’ll produce at least, or roughly 40 points. 

I’d take Dougie Hamilton over Chris Wideman, thank you very much.

Good post. Yes, the entire comparison is quite bizarre. Hamilton is a career top-pairing D-man who had a horrible outlier season on a new team. Wideman is fringe NHLer. Assuming Hamilton reverts to something closer to his career norms going forward (he’s 28), a team is going to go a lot further with him on their blueline - even overpaid - than with Wideman. You may as well say you’d rather have Matthieu Perrault on your team than an overpaid 28-year-old 75-point #1 C who just had a down season. It’s a strange comparator.  

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree, but the problem is we need puck-movers who can actually play. Wideman is a #6-7 so he doesn’t really fit the bill. That said, this signing doesn’t do any harm, either.

Agree ... this is a "transition signing" ... not a "winning team" signing ... and worse comes to worse he is a luxury Laval veteran.