Shea Weber Traded to Vegas for Evgeni Dadonov

Commandant

Solid move.  Hope this means we are about to shed an overpriced/underachieving winger...or even a completely useless winger (Drouin), and Dadonov is the replacement. 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree…how did this trade happen? Why would Vegas do this?

I believe only one year left on Dadonov contract 

Dadanov will play and eat up cap space ... Weber will LTIR and if the GKs manage their cap well free up Dadanov's $5M cap hit for another player ... although they are resigning themselves to being in LTIR ... OR ... they think they can move Weber with another contract to clear more space.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Dadonov obviously doesn't fit into the Habs long term but he can be flipped at the next deadline as he will be useful for a contending team. He has scored 28 goals a couple times, 25 once.  A very good trade.

Don't know that they necessarily need to wait until the deadline ... but that would be the longest he will be a Hab (barring injury)

Dadonov could be a great fit with Suzuki caufield.

Or he could be Wrights wingman

Hes great defensively and could insult the youngsters.

I dont understand this trade but its a huge win for Hugo.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Dadanov will play and eat up cap space ... Weber will LTIR and if the GKs manage their cap well free up Dadanov's $5M cap hit for another player ... although they are resigning themselves to being in LTIR ... OR ... they think they can move Weber with another contract to clear more space.

So Vegas inherited the LTIR problem to give themselves 5 million in cap space. 

Seems shortsighted to now need to manipulate the LTIR rules for four years 

12 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Solid move.  Hope this means we are about to shed an overpriced/underachieving winger...or even a completely useless winger (Drouin), and Dadonov is the replacement. 

Nah..

Give Drouin and Dadonov top 6 ice time, give them a ton of PP time. 

Then deal them at the deadline with 50% retained salary.

You could get a return as good or better than the Lehkonen deal at that point.

Trade hoffman now... but the guys with just one year on their deals... pump em up first and then dump em.

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

So Vegas inherited the LTIR problem to give themselves 5 million in cap space. 

Seems shortsighted to now need to manipulate the LTIR rules for four years 

OR ... they think they can move Weber with another contract to clear more space ... this may mean that Arizona was insisting on "getting paid" to take Weber's contract ... which Vegas may be willing to do in the form of including another player/contract

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't know that they necessarily need to wait until the deadline ... but that would be the longest he will be a Hab (barring injury)

It's possible he is gone before then but he will very easy to trade at the deadline, expiring contract, Habs eat 50% of it, get another 2nd round pick next year.  I like it.  

Dadonov 

Drouin 

Byron

Should all be traded at the deadline as they all have 1 year left 

Petry

Gallagher 

Price 

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Man i was hoping for this rebuild 4 years instead of that retool so we could of gotten more for Weber and Price. But man if we finish last again and get the first pick and get Bedard along with Wright I would be one happy habs fan. 

10 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

... But man if we finish last again and get the first pick and get Bedard along with Wright I would be one happy habs fan. 

I've read that some feel that 2023 propsects Matvei Michkov and Adam Fantilli are as good or better than Wright ... so first overall (Bedard) would be ideal but top 3 might still yield an exceptional talent ... and the 2023 draft is supposedly deeper than years' so anywhere in the lottery may be better than the same spot this season.

Wow, that's so unbelievably weird.  I was looking at trades and singings and I saw an old post about Dadonov about the GK failed attempted to trade him to the Ducks.  Apparently, when the Sens traded him the Vegas they forgot to submit his no trade list to the NHL. When Vegas traded him to the Ducks the NHL approved it because they didn't know that the Ducks were on his no trade list.  Once it was realized they had to undo the trade.  Then 15 mins later I see a post saying Dadonov was traded to the Habs.

I dont get why Vegas would make this trade, unless Weber's health has greatly improved and he might be able to play for them.  Either way, Vegas just saved $500k.  Weber is owed $6 mil and Dadonov is owed $6.5 mil, but has a $5 mil cap hit.   

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, that's so unbelievably weird.  I was looking at trades and singings and I saw an old post about Dadonov about the GK failed attempted to trade him to the Ducks.  Apparently, when the Sens traded him the Vegas they forgot to submit his no trade list to the NHL. When Vegas traded him to the Ducks the NHL approved it because they didn't know that the Ducks were on his no trade list.  Once it was realized they had to undo the trade.  Then 15 mins later I see a post saying Dadonov was traded to the Habs.

I dont get why Vegas would make this trade, unless Weber's health has greatly improved and he might be able to play for them.  Either way, Vegas just saved $500k.  Weber is owed $6 mil and Dadonov is owed $6.5 mil, but has a $5 mil cap hit.  

The original Dadonov trade was for Ryan Kesler to give you a sense of what Vegas' intentions are.  That said, I am surprised they did this move as they're locking themselves into four years of LTIR unless they think Arizona is going to take the contract off their hands a year or two from now.  Weber's health hasn't improved, that much is for sure.

7 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Vegas is not a "real dollars" team ... so actual salaries are likely moot ... it is about clearing cap space by moviong out an "active" contract for a LTIR contract ... but because of the term remaining on Weber I suspect/expect the GKs will move him to another team (my bet would be Arizona) and add another contract(s)/prospect(s)/pick(s) to sweeten the deal ... ultimately freeing up more cap space.

29 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Vegas saved 6.5 million in real cash.... Dadonov makes $6.5 this season, while Weber's contract is fully insured, so they don't have to pay any of it.