Jump to content

Shea Weber Traded to Vegas for Evgeni Dadonov


 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

Nah..

 

Give Drouin and Dadonov top 6 ice time, give them a ton of PP time. 

 

Then deal them at the deadline with 50% retained salary.

 

You could get a return as good or better than the Lehkonen deal at that point.

 

Trade hoffman now... but the guys with just one year on their deals... pump em up first and then dump em.

 

Sound strategy for Dadonov...but...are we seriously still pretending that Drouin could play well enough to boost his value?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked the trade when we acquired Weber and like the trade now that we had to ship out.

 

Thanks for your service Weber, I shall still wear my (your) jersey proudly.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

...but...are we seriously still pretending that Drouin could play well enough to boost his value?

Yes ... 48 points/82 games last season for the 6th lowest scoring team in the league ... and all but two of JD's gmaes before the hans started playing more competitively after MSL took over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

 

Sound strategy for Dadonov...but...are we seriously still pretending that Drouin could play well enough to boost his value?

 

He played very well last season before being hurt.

 

He was our best forward under DD and never really got to play under MSL (who improved almost every forward).

 

His current value is really low... whats the harm in trying to build it.  Its not like we are gonna be a contender.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My observations ...

  1. Vegas is really, really desperate for cap space. And Hughes knew it
  2. Dadonov did not have the Habs on his 10-team NTC list. Why is that?
  3. Hugo must be confident that they can trade Petry (or possibly Hoffman, given the extra winger that just arrived)
  4. Commandant's trade deadline strategy makes sense, Dadonov is 33 already so unlikely to stay for the rebuild
  5. If Price ends up on LTIR, though, we are more or less back where we started, except with Dadonov on the roster
  6. Unless they are about to trade Price to Arizona (which he is surely not going to accept)
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

... If Price ends up on LTIR, though, we are more or less back where we started, except with Dadonov on the roster ...

Currently the Habs show as $1.9M and change under the ceiling ... since I don't expect them to make any significant additions Hughes may well be able to avoid LTIR this season, especially if he manages to move another veteran out ... that would allow them to accumulate cap space to use at the deadline (retaining salary  on an outgoing player and/or maybe even being the "third team" in a deadline deal).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good trade. Can't wait to see who is captain

 

Habs will play same free wheeling, take risk, score first, type of Hockey

 

They will finish bottom 10 to bottom 5 if no trade is made

 

They will trade Petry and pending UFAs: Drouin, Dadonov, Byron, Allen

 

Those trades will help the tank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

 

Sound strategy for Dadonov...but...are we seriously still pretending that Drouin could play well enough to boost his value?

 

It's Drouin's last year before he becomes a UFA so that's generally when players have their best years (ie. Johnny Gaudreau).  Drouin will have some value at the trade deadline, just not sure how much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Currently the Habs show as $1.9M and change under the ceiling ... since I don't expect them to make any significant additions Hughes may well be able to avoid LTIR this season, especially if he manages to move another veteran out ... that would allow them to accumulate cap space to use at the deadline (retaining salary  on an outgoing player and/or maybe even being the "third team" in a deadline deal).

 

They still have to sign Romanov and Rem Pitlick but it is workable now, especially as you say if they move 1 veteran out.  They could be busy at the trade deadline with Dadonov,  Drouin, Byron and Allen on expiring contracts. That was a nice move today. 

 

I saw someone on another board post that they should buy Dadonov out?  I thought that was a ridiculous idea. Better to pay him for 3/4 of the year and then trade him for draft picks or prospects and then you are done with it.  By buying him out the cap hit is spread over future years when you might need the cap space more.  One and done with Dadonov. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... I saw someone on another board post that they should buy Dadonov out?  I thought that was a ridiculous idea ...

Absolutely ridiculous ... cap hit would be $666,667 this season but push $2,166,667 onto next season's cap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

It's Drouin's last year before he becomes a UFA so that's generally when players have their best years (ie. Johnny Gaudreau).  Drouin will have some value at the trade deadline, just not sure how much. 

 

The "contract year" is the best year is actually a myth.  It happens sometimes, but is no more likely to be a career year than any other. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

The "contract year" is the best year is actually a myth.  It happens sometimes, but is no more likely to be a career year than any other. 

 

Maybe it just seems that way. You are probably right.  I hope Drouin has a good year so he has more value at the trade deadline. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep Drouin for sure, see if he can up his value as a precursor to a deadline deal. Only a fool would invest significant dollars in him going forward, however. If you can sign him at a rate befitting a #6 FW and non-core player, then maybe.

 

That said, I do expect a strong year from him. He will probably get everyone all excited, have the habs sign him for too much money, and then play out his career as an erratic, unreliable, soft, and of-injured forward who can never, ever be counted on to deliver consistently or in the clutch. That’s how things go with guys like him.

 

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

My observations ...

  1. Vegas is really, really desperate for cap space. And Hughes knew it
  2. Dadonov did not have the Habs on his 10-team NTC list. Why is that?

 

Funny, Vancouver radio is spinning this deal as some sort of coup for Vegas because it buys them cap space. I think that reinforces your point in (1).

 

On (2), it’s probably because the idea that no one wants to play in Montreal has been greatly oversold. Also I suspect Russians have a very positive impression of the city - probably a combination of them embracing the more European vibe (and ladies, LOL) of that town, and maybe an enduring Kovalev effect.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope he and Romanov mix well together and at least can converse in mother tongue.:scared:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, DON said:

I hope he and Romanov mix well together and at least can converse in mother tongue.:scared:

 


I had not thought of that. That’s a good point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

...  however. If you can sign him at a rate befitting a #6 FW and non-core player, then maybe ...

 

At $5.5M AAV he is already on a contract befitting a veteran #6 forward ... for a variety of reasons he just has not produced at that level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

 

At $5.5M AAV he is already on a contract befitting a veteran #6 forward ... for a variety of reasons he just has not produced at that level.

 

5.5 is way too high for a player who has skill but is unreliable and erratic IMHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

5.5 is way too high for a player who has skill but is unreliable and erratic IMHO

 

You arent getting a consistent, reliable scorer in your top 6 for less than that though, unless its an ELC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice message from #6 here A message from Shea Weber (nhl.com)

 

Lord knows I hated the trade, but I never hated Weber, and have nothing but respect for the man; especially for his incredible, self-sacrificing performance as our #1 D-man during the Run of '21. A worthy captain in the best tradition of the Montreal Canadiens.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Keep Drouin for sure, see if he can up his value as a precursor to a deadline deal. Only a fool would invest significant dollars in him going forward, however. If you can sign him at a rate befitting a #6 FW and non-core player, then maybe.

 

That said, I do expect a strong year from him. He will probably get everyone all excited, have the habs sign him for too much money, and then play out his career as an erratic, unreliable, soft, and of-injured forward who can never, ever be counted on to deliver consistently or in the clutch. That’s how things go with guys like him.

 

 

Funny, Vancouver radio is spinning this deal as some sort of coup for Vegas because it buys them cap space. I think that reinforces your point in (1).

 

On (2), it’s probably because the idea that no one wants to play in Montreal has been greatly oversold. Also I suspect Russians have a very positive impression of the city - probably a combination of them embracing the more European vibe (and ladies, LOL) of that town, and maybe an enduring Kovalev effect.

 

Didn’t he originally sign with Ottawa? If he was willing to play for a going no where Canadian team, he probably doesn’t have an issue with going an hour  further East.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Currently the Habs show as $1.9M and change under the ceiling ... since I don't expect them to make any significant additions Hughes may well be able to avoid LTIR this season, especially if he manages to move another veteran out ... that would allow them to accumulate cap space to use at the deadline (retaining salary  on an outgoing player and/or maybe even being the "third team" in a deadline deal).

 

Keep in mind they have Drouin listed on LTIR, so adding him to the roster puts them well over, with 3 roster spots still to fill. Of course, if Price is done, then they are in the clear easily.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Keep in mind they have Drouin listed on LTIR, so adding him to the roster puts them well over, with 3 roster spots still to fill. Of course, if Price is done, then they are in the clear easily.

 

LTIR was included in the Projected Cap hit:

 

Forwards:  43.955833

Defence:    15.780

Goalies:      13.375

LTIR:             5.5

Dead Cap:      .833333

Carryover:    1.1325

Total:           80.57667

 

But they do need to move another veteran or two in order to re-sign a couple of their RFAs, fill out roster AND avoid LTIR

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

But they do need to move another veteran or two in order to re-sign a couple of their RFAs, fill out roster AND avoid LTIR

 

It looks like they are pretty confident about being able to move Petry. My guess (pure speculation) is that we might see a veteran replacement more in the mould of Edmundson rather than Petry himself, to support the younger puck-moving D-men. We'll know in a few months whether I'm out to lunch or not. 🤪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...