Thoughts on who might replace Luke Richardson

REV-G

We didn't see the Marty St.Louis hire coming at any point so I wonder if the person who replaces LR will be a well known, experienced person or someone like MSL, highly skilled as a player but not a proven coach yet? 

I think we all understand how important this new coach will be with all of our young developing d-men on board and ready to begin their pro careers. 

Any thoughts on who might be considered? Some may be well known but I wonder if there are some under the radar MSL types out there?

Thoughts? 

I've seen Larry Robinson's name mentioned in several articles, but he responded and said that his body can't take the constant travelling anymore.  He tried travelling with the Blues in 2019 but had to stop.  

Big Bird then said something funny to put it into perspective.  

Robinson said he doesn’t know Jeff Gorton, the Canadiens’ executive vice-president of hockey operations, personally, but he does know GM Kent Hughes.

“You want to know how I feel old?” Robinson said. “Kent Hughes and my son, Jeff, played together for the same peewee team on the West Island.”

He did say that he would be interested in being a consultant.  

Hal Gill, for no good reason, pops into my head eveytime i think of a new d-coach.

But, would actually be nice to see some non-Ex NHLer hired... for a change and not one of the usual suspects.

13 minutes ago, DON said:

But, would actually be nice to see some non-Ex NHLer hired... for a change and not one of the usual suspects.

Sometimes NHL experience is a good thing. Players are more likely to respect someone who has been there, done that and has had some some success. 

39 minutes ago, DON said:

Hal Gill, for no good reason, pops into my head eveytime i think of a new d-coach.

Spacek is the first name that comes to mind:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/staff/11502/jaroslav-spacek

but I quickly checked some of the Ds that played with MSL at some point. Paul Mara seems like a great candidate too:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/staff/41253/paul-mara

https://thehockeywriters.com/boston-pride-head-coach-paul-mara-interview/

Others, Denis Gauthier, Bobby Dollas, Phil Housley:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/staff/3412/denis-gauthier

https://www.eliteprospects.com/staff/50061/bobby-dollas

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/houslph01c.html

Most successful or respected coach in the NHL played 0 NHL games, was simply a Habs scout to start.

So i say, stop recycling retired NHLers and find a person who simply can "coach" well, which is much more important.

How about a Hughes peer instead (if any are willing to take a pay cut)? Or a female?

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sometimes NHL experience is a good thing. Players are more likely to respect someone who has been there, done that and has had some some success. 

An equivalent to M-P Poulin but acknowledges le of D

I am not against that, but the speed of the NHL game and the impact physical play has in a game makes me biased to an ex-NHLer

aslo, I would not know what to google for so that I could post something semi-credible 

Do you have any names to suggest?

26 minutes ago, DON said:

Most successful or respected coach in the NHL played 0 NHL games, was simply a Habs scout to start.

So i say, stop recycling retired NHLers and find a person who simply can "coach" well, which is much more important.

How about a Hughes peer instead (if any are willing to take a pay cut)? Or a female?

When you are teaching a specific skill set (ie playing defense) then I think experience doing it is really important.  A head coach is less about teaching skills and more about motivation, strategy etc. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

When you are teaching a specific skill set (ie playing defense) then I think experience doing it is really important.  A head coach is less about teaching skills and more about motivation, strategy etc. 

An NHL coach isnt a skills coach, that is off-season work and/or AHL time.

Is more about systems, which isnt rocket science.

That is how i see it anyways...if a kid cant play d when he suits up in the NHL, he shouldnt be there (he should be in the AHL).

2 hours ago, DON said:

An NHL coach isnt a skills coach, that is off-season work and/or AHL time.

Is more about systems, which isnt rocket science.

That is how i see it anyways...if a kid cant play d when he suits up in the NHL, he shouldnt be there (he should be in the AHL).

but with the lack of veteran Ds on the Habs projected roster, they will need a D coach that can teach at the NHL level.

what Robinson and Richardson usually do

22 hours ago, DON said:

I loved Skills Gill. But with a rookie head coach who has a rather modest coaching resume, you can make a strong case for bringing in a proven veteran assistant. And there is no particular reason to think it has to be an ex-Hab. 

I get the pining after Big Bird, but he doesn’t want to coach, so it’s time to turn the page on that idea. 

I did a little digging around and discovered a few names that could fit. Some of you may have a better knowledge of these guys than I do.

Rick Bowness mentioned to someone that he would be open to working with MSL and he has evidently always been very strong on the defensive side. 

Andrew Brunette, former interim coach of the Florida Panthers has been mentioned as being a good fit if he's interested in building something with another young coach.

Do you think they would consider Francis Bouillon, already in the organization?

Could Dan Boyle be an option? Former teammate but I'm not sure if he has any coaching experience, which I'm assuming would be a requirement with MSL lack of. 

None of these were my own thoughts, they all have been mentioned by other people as possibilities. 

41 minutes ago, DON said:

F' IT, try 'something' different, instead of some old retired d-man.

got any names to share, Don?

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

got any names to share, Don?

I kinda hope, it is a name i DONT recognize.

(Maybe a Euro/KHL coach or scout?)

1 hour ago, DON said:

I kinda hope, it is a name i DONT recognize.

(Maybe a Euro/KHL coach or scout?)

I’d welcome someone from Europe - as I share your fatigue with the NHL old boys network and believe that Habs should be a cutting-edge organization always open to new ideas and new voices. But my main concern is that the assistant coach be someone with serious coaching experience at a high level. If MSL hires an old pal with little experience, that will bode quite poorly IMHO.

With Bob Boughner getting let go by San Jose today and basically no head coaching jobs left, I could see him being someone the Habs look at.  A long NHL career as a defenceman and NHL head coach experience with a couple of teams.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With Bob Boughner getting let go by San Jose today and basically no head coaching jobs left, I could see him being someone the Habs look at.  A long NHL career as a defenceman and NHL head coach experience with a couple of teams.

🤫 🔇 Shhhhhhh ... let's not upset @DON

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I just saw Michael Farber mention Marc Crawford and said he knows that MSL has talked with him.   Crawford was recently with the Hawks and Gustafsson claims he was a big help getting him to play better defensively. 

36 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, I just saw Michael Farber mention Marc Crawford and said he knows that MSL has talked with him.   Crawford was recently with the Hawks and Gustafsson claims he was a big help getting him to play better defensively. 

If what we see is Gustafsson after Crawford taught him defence, I don't think I want Crawford, LOL. 

• 2 weeks later...

See new thread:  Rodibas hired by MSL/Habs