2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

With the trade and free agency fun about to begin, we might as well get the offseason thread going.

One trade today - McDonagh to Nashville for a minor leaguer and the right to buy out Philippe Myers.  That will give them some flexibility as they try to re-sign Palat.

• dlbalr pinned this topic
5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With the trade and free agency fun about to begin, we might as well get the offseason thread going.

One trade today - McDonagh to Nashville for a minor leaguer and the right to buy out Philippe Myers.  That will give them some flexibility as they try to re-sign Palat.

Does this reflect the type of return Montreal might get for Petry (not much) given that Petry and McDonagh are similar ages and the AAV of their contracts isn't that much different?  

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think McDonough is gong to set a record of being the best player practically given away in three trades. The first because of utter stupidity and twice for cap reasons.

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Does this reflect the type of return Montreal might get for Petry (not much) given that Petry and McDonagh are similar ages and the AAV of their contracts isn't that much different?  

It shouldn’t. Tampa needed to move salary. We don’t have to move Petry.

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

This is the best time of year draft and free agency. I think it has passed trade deadline day for me.  But man this has been the longest season ever. Not sure why they had to push it back a extra week after the cup was won. 

The schedule for key events was set last summer.  At the time, the latest possible ending for the Stanley Cup Final was June 29th so the draft and free agency were scheduled based off of that point in time.  SCF ends, the draft a week later, free agency a little less than a week after that.  Once it's set, it can't be changed just because the playoffs ended earlier than expected; it's locked in.

Yeah, we'll see about that with Myers.  If buying him out allows them to keep Palat, they'll probably buy him out (or trade him somewhere else who then will buy him out for the cap credit).

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This gave me an idea for a quick article on the site.  I think there are enough differences between the two for McDonagh's trade to not really affect Petry's trade talks.

http://www.habsworld.net/2022/07/comparing-jeff-petrys-trade-value-with-ryan-mcdonaghs/

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This gave me an idea for a quick article on the site.  I think there are enough differences between the two for McDonagh's trade to not really affect Petry's trade talks.

http://www.habsworld.net/2022/07/comparing-jeff-petrys-trade-value-with-ryan-mcdonaghs/

Great write-up

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It is a good write up.  Thanks 

Senators are waiving Colin White for purpose of a buyout.  Glad that doesn’t mean Habs are trading for him.  It does make you think that the Habs could sign him cheap and trade Dvorak.

Just now, TurdBurglar said:

Senators are waiving Colin White for purpose of a buyout.  Glad that doesn’t mean Habs are trading for him.  It does make you think that the Habs could sign him cheap and trade Dvorak.

Not sure why one means the other has to happen.  I'm not sure White is more than a fourth liner, and I'm not sure Wright would be guaranteed to make the team out of training camp either.  Given that he missed a full year, a year in the OHL might be advisable. 

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

I like Dvorak, but if are takers for him out there offering picks/youth and White is cheaper, am all for a move like that (not really knowing what White is like, mediocre i assume).:hyper:

45 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not sure why one means the other has to happen.  I'm not sure White is more than a fourth liner, and I'm not sure Wright would be guaranteed to make the team out of training camp either.  Given that he missed a full year, a year in the OHL might be advisable. 

It doesn’t mean that, it’s just an option.  White is a downgrade on Dvorak, but Dvorak will fetch assets and White will help with tanking next year.  White could also be a placeholder for Wright.  He can eat 2nd line minutes until Wright is ready to move up.  If Wright doesn’t pan out in the NHL next season, White can still eat minutes.

I dont particularly want White as a second line centre.  I dont think thats good for raising values on Gallagher, Hoffman, Dadonov, Armia, Anderson, and the other wingers who dont play with suzuki.

At the cost and age for Dvorak im fine with him as the second line C, and third line C when Wright is ready.  

White failed in a top 9 role in ottawa who desperately need centres behind norris.  I dont see why hed succeed here and while we are rebuilding there is still value in having a capable top 6 so that we keep our wingers value in trades.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I dont see why hed succeed here and while we are rebuilding there is still value in having a capable top 6 so that we keep our wingers value in trades.

Succeed, who cares, he simply is a cheap place-holder on a weak rebuilding team for a year or two...arnt you one who thinks we should be all-in on Bedard and would never trade 2023 1st round pick.?

Dvorak in a rebound year i think will help Habs win, which might not be what we want to happen...

5 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

My thought all along that Montreal's trade interest stemmed from the cheap buyout cost.  For example, if they can't give away someone like Armia, try to flip him for White, then buy White out at the 1/3 rate and voila, cap savings.  I don't think anyone actually would have wanted White on that contract.  At a lower price tag, sure, the Habs will probably kick the tires but it probably wouldn't be at Dvorak's expense.

6 hours ago, DON said:

Succeed, who cares, he simply is a cheap place-holder on a weak rebuilding team for a year or two...arnt you one who thinks we should be all-in on Bedard and would never trade 2023 1st round pick.?

Dvorak in a rebound year i think will help Habs win, which might not be what we want to happen...

I never said we should intentionally tank next year, and certainly we shouldn't trade away pieces who can be useful after the rebound is complete like Dvorak. 

If you want to trade Hoffman, Armia, Petry, and others who won't be around, fine.  But we still need some good players. I don't think a season of playing with scrubs is good for the team development either. 

I doubt Dvorak will be dealt, he will stay and shelter Wright i assume and thats fine by me. BUT, if another GM really wants to pay up for him, or demands him as part of a trade, thats fine by me also.

Hoffman and rest, I think we all want sent packing, without costing too much long term.

1 minute ago, DON said:

I guess White is in demand?

14 teams is a lot and I don't expect the Habs to be the highest bidder, not any cap room anyway unless they make other moves or he comes pretty cheap. If Hughes wasn't his former agent we likely wouldn't be speculating much about where he goes. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Every player is tradeable if the other team over pays of course.  I just dont think dvorak should be someone we are trying to move.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/7/5/23195272/trades-not-draft-picks-may-steal-the-show-for-hometown-canadiens-montreal-jeff-petry-josh-anderson