2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Every player is tradeable if the other team over pays of course.  I just dont think dvorak should be someone we are trying to move.

I 100% agree.  If I was the GM, I wouldnt trade Suzuki, but I'd let teams know it would take an insane offer and I'd listen to them because that's the only way to find out.  In the future, I imagine that teams like the Oilers and Avs will likely have to get rid of 1 of their generational players eventually, and in order to get 1 of them you'd have to have convos involving a top player like Suzuki.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

I never said we should intentionally tank next year, and certainly we shouldn't trade away pieces who can be useful after the rebound is complete like Dvorak. 

If you want to trade Hoffman, Armia, Petry, and others who won't be around, fine.  But we still need some good players. I don't think a season of playing with scrubs is good for the team development either. 

I'm completely against the intentional tankologist concept.  You dont need to bottom feed to rebuild, you just need to sign UFAs that are as good or better than current guys and then trade existing contracts for picks and then use those extra basically free picks to rebuild.  In that scenario, you wouldn't even need to win the trades, you win by improving the team right now with the new players you signed.  In the future, the extra picks will be like gravy on top.    potential ex:  sign Letang, trade Petry for a 3rd rnd pick.  Sure he's worth more (try get more if possible) but it doesnt matter if they lose on the trade because Letang is better than Petry, so the team improved = they won.

The problem with the tankologist theory is that a team must suck ass for 5 years.  Then, once they finally start making the playoffs every year they will get bounced 1st rnd for 5 years - because you know, they have no playoff experience.  If they purposely go that route I don't expect they will win a Cup until 2035. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The problem with the tankologist theory is that a team must suck ass for 5 years.  Then, once they finally start making the playoffs every year they will get bounced 1st rnd for 5 years - because you know, they have no playoff experience.  If they purposely go that route I don't expect they will win a Cup until 2035. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I 100% agree.  If I was the GM, I wouldnt trade Suzuki, but I'd let teams know it would take an insane offer and I'd listen to them because that's the only way to find out.  In the future, I imagine that teams like the Oilers and Avs will likely have to get rid of 1 of their generational players eventually, and in order to get 1 of them you'd have to have convos involving a top player like Suzuki.

I'm completely against the intentional tankologist concept.  You dont need to bottom feed to rebuild, you just need to sign UFAs that are as good or better than current guys and then trade existing contracts for picks and then use those extra basically free picks to rebuild.  In that scenario, you wouldn't even need to win the trades, you win by improving the team right now with the new players you signed.  In the future, the extra picks will be like gravy on top.    potential ex:  sign Letang, trade Petry for a 3rd rnd pick.  Sure he's worth more (try get more if possible) but it doesnt matter if they lose on the trade because Letang is better than Petry, so the team improved = they won.

Agree 100% with your last paragraph. Intentionally icing the worst team possible over multiple seasons is a horrible way to develop your young players. They become acclimated to losing and have no role models teaching them how to win. It also brands your team as a complete disaster to UFAs; look how long it took Montreal to get over the image of being a basket case after the damage of the Houle years. 

Forget that. Rebuild properly. That means icing a team with actual NHL talent on it, not throwing our kids to the wolves night after night after night for five years.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

[…]

not throwing our kids to the wolves night after night after night for five years.

two years, Habs need to tank for one more year

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree 100% with your last paragraph. Intentionally icing the worst team possible over multiple seasons is a horrible way to develop your young players. They become acclimated to losing and have no role models teaching them how to win. It also brands your team as a complete disaster to UFAs; look how long it took Montreal to get over the image of being a basket case after the damage of the Houle years. 

Forget that. Rebuild properly. That means icing a team with actual NHL talent on it, not throwing our kids to the wolves night after night after night for five years.

We just need one more year. Bedard and the Russian are available. 

This is a different situation than the Houle years, where we were trading skilled guys like Turgeon, and building our as around kyle friggin Briabois and Odelin.

we aren’t going to be trading away any all star type players either. There are no great players for us to move anyways.

We have two core type forwards that we should be building around (Suzuki and Caufield). I here really is no one worth keeping other then them. There is no Damphousse type of player to keep around.

Up front we have guys like too many old guys like Gallagher, Armia, and Hoffman who make too much money.  

Anderson is potentially a keeper, but he is injury prone and probably will be injured more given his style of play when we should be ready to be a playoff team.  If someone wants to pay a heavy price, you move him. If someone is willing to give up good assets for him you move him. I don’t see him staying healthy 2 to 3 years from now.

We have no dman that is really worth keeping as part of the rebuild, other than Romanov, and potentially Harris and other prospects that are not on the team. Otherwise we have guys that will be anchors in two years. I think you move one of Edmondson or Savard at this years deadline, and the other one at the following years deadline.

we have no goalie in the system that is a capable #1, unless Premieau progresses into one. 

We don’t need to tank. We aren’t good, and while we shouldnt be historically bad like this year, won’t be a playoff team. May as well go for the generational player next year, and than  next summer you bring in some veterans on short term deals while the kids learn.  You bring in guys who have won and can be mentors. But you don’t pay stupid money and term like Edmonton handed out to Souray and Russell.

i don’t want to see us be as incompetent as the oilers, but I also don’t want to be a bubble team ever again. Let’s get some real young talent in this draft, and the next draft, and than actually develop them, instead of giving them away like we did with McDonough and  Sergechev, or rush them like we did with KK.

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

two years, Habs need to tank for one more year

Agreed. One more year to assemble young elite talent. Than you actually do a decent job developing them and surrounding them with veterans who have won.

53 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed. One more year to assemble young elite talent. Than you actually do a decent job developing them and surrounding them with veterans who have won.

I agree and I also agree with your previous post about Anderson. 

Trade him for all the reasons you stated and he should demand a hefty price. 

Letang re-signed with Pittsburgh, so at least all the rumours of Montreal chasing him in free agency is over.

Matt Murray refused to waive his NTC to goto Buffalo.  Ottawa and Buffalo had a trade worked out.  I really can’t say I blame him for not wanting to goto Buffalo.

Six years for Letang is quite something.  I know it gets the AAV lower but those last couple of years are going to be tough.

Alexandar Georgiev to Colorado for three draft picks.  They already have Francouz signed so this might mean they're moving on from Kuemper.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Six years for Letang is quite something.  I know it gets the AAV lower but those last couple of years are going to be tough.

That is an insane contract IMHO.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That is an insane contract IMHO.

Yeah. They are pretty much rolling the dice and seeing if they can go for it one more time during the next 2-3 years. I can’t believe teams don’t learnt from Chicagos stupidity in re-upping Seabrook and seeing how a smooth skating Keith declined as he aged.  Chicago went from signing Jones to a big contract to now putting a 24 year old 40 goal scorer on the market and reportedly trying to dump Jones after a year.

but I suooose with Pittsburgh’s luck, when they are a crap team in two to three years, they will probably end up being gifted the next generational player.  It seems that over the past 35 years they have actually had the torch from failing hands passed from Lemieux/Jagr to Crosby/Malkin, while we only have sign in the dressing room now.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Alexandar Georgiev to Colorado for three draft picks.  They already have Francouz signed so this might mean they're moving on from Kuemper.

It is quite something. Some people think Petry's contract is a big roadblock, his will end at age 37 while Letang's will be at age 41.  I am shocked he got 6 years. This actually seems like a good thing for Montreal, one less RD to hit the open market plus Petry's contract looks more favourable in comparison. 

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

DeBrincat to Chicago for 7, 39, and a future 3rd.  That qualifying offer next year ($9M) was a big factor in the Blackhawks moving on from him.

hein ?

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Ya, thats a terrible contract for the Pens.  That will bite them in the final 2-3 years.

Oddly tho, if I was the Habs GM and he made it to free agency I would have I would have tried to talk him down from the 8 mil x 5 yrs he was allegedly asking for, but I would have given it to him.   He isnt worth that much, but the Habs have so many young dmen I'd view part of that salary as mentoring and coaching the prospects.  He would have been a great mentor to them all.  It's to bad he stayed in Pitts. 

41 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Ya, thats a terrible contract for the Pens.  That will bite them in the final 2-3 years.

Oddly tho, if I was the Habs GM and he made it to free agency I would have I would have tried to talk him down from the 8 mil x 5 yrs he was allegedly asking for, but I would have given it to him.   He isnt worth that much, but the Habs have so many young dmen I'd view part of that salary as mentoring and coaching the prospects.  He would have been a great mentor to them all.  It's to bad he stayed in Pitts. 

I’m glad he was off the market. I wouldn’t want him for more than 3!years, and even with him we aren’t going to be good enough in those three years.

we are already paying too much for old men, and the pens are probably looking at an ugly buyout 3 to 4 years from now, and will be handcuffed the way the Wild are now.

the league is becoming increasingly a young man’s league, and I don’t see the Pens being able to buck that trend.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is likely correct. DeBrincat will certainly help Ottawa, I think a pretty decent trade for them.  

Ottawa has their core. Mows the time to add through trade and free agency.