2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

I wonder if AR has fulfilled his army duty?

"Talk" was that if detained Flyers rookie Fedotov stayed with his KHL team he would be allowed to serve out his army duty with his KHL team.

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

A few responses to your thoughts...

If his shooting percentage goes down to 14%, his point total is going to go down, not up.  This is a player who never even reached 45 points in the minors so to think he's basically a lock for at least that is a thought that no other NHL executive has.  You note players are streaky which is correct but you have to factor in the bad with the good.  He's not having that type of unsustainable hot streak again which, again, leads to lowered point expectations, not higher.  You can't take a small sample size, extrapolate it, and say that's his floor next season.  By that logic, the Habs signed a 50-point player in Jordan Weal, a similar player to Pitlick who was acquired under similar circumstances (a short-term depth guy).  We all know how that turned out.

The Habs do not come close to running four even lines.  Pitlick got 17 minutes a game last season because of injuries.  Now, he's what, ninth or tenth on the depth chart in terms of wingers?  Even if they move a veteran out, I don't think he'd crack the lineup.  Is it justifiable to move out multiple veterans for poor returns (or paying to move the contracts since 2/3 of the league is desperate to dump money) to make a spot for Pitlick in the bottom six where he'd play 8-13 minutes a game?  Not at all; that would be poor asset management on Montreal's part.  You said to move someone like Byron out to make room.  Who's trading anything for an injured Byron that might not be ready for camp by his own admission last week?  No one so that's not a viable option.  It is going to be tough moving pricey veterans out, that much we've seen already in recent days.  

I have no problems with them offering a cheap one-year deal.  That's what they've offered.  The fact it isn't done yet means that Pitlick isn't willing to accept such a contract.  There's a limit to what a reasonable offer is for someone in Pitlick's situation (nearly VI-eligible where the record contract for a VI player is Matthew Peca with the Habs at $1.4 million which proved out to be way too much) and from the little bit I've heard, the Habs are around that point.  If Pitlick thinks he can get more, he can try his luck in free agency where he'll be offered plenty of minimum-salary deals as that's all the contenders that you listed can afford.  There's a fair offer on the table for him so again, that's not bad asset management if Pitlick declines it.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Looks like Chicago is in tank mod, they're just unloading everyone. 

I bet they are looking to take on bad contracts for picks. This is a complete tear down to try and take advantage of the 2023 draft. 

I hope Chicago fails and misses Bedard and may all their picks turn out to be crap 💩 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I bet they are looking to take on bad contracts for picks. This is a complete tear down to try and take advantage of the 2023 draft. 

I hope Chicago fails and misses Bedard and may all their picks turn out to be crap 💩 

They were and then Keith indicated he was retiring, putting $5.5M back on their books for next season through recapture penalties.  That will make the bad contract route a little harder to execute.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

They were and then Keith indicated he was retiring, putting $5.5M back on their books for next season through recapture penalties.  That will make the bad contract route a little harder to execute.

Holy crap I wasn’t aware about the recapture. 

I love it because I hope Chicago gets screwed 

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Holy crap I wasn’t aware about the recapture. 

I love it because I hope Chicago gets screwed 

They have traded Debrincat and Dach for low value---especially Debrincat. They have Petr Marezk as their starting goalie and they just released Dylan Strome for nothing and continue to gut the organization. Even if they do beat the odds and draft Bedard, I think that they are screwed for the next 5-10 years. 

5 minutes ago, PMAC said:

They have traded Debrincat and Dach for low value---especially Debrincat. They have Petr Marezk as their starting goalie and they just released Dylan Strome for nothing and continue to gut the organization. Even if they do beat the odds and draft Bedard, I think that they are screwed for the next 5-10 years. 

Would love to see them have a GREAT season (i.e., 2nd/3rd worst team) and drop two spots in the lottery ... but I can be mean.

Yeah, it just doesn't seem to make sense. It's as though they are taking the concept of tanking to its logical extreme - which some fans like to fantasize about, but which is in fact extremely foolish as a team-building approach. The folly in this is that most of your draft picks are not going to pan out. Even if, therefore, you get Bedard, he's not going to have anyone to play with. It just seems crazy in hockey terms. Unless the point is just to save the owner as much money as possible.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The folly in this is that most of your draft picks are not going to pan out. Even if, therefore, you get Bedard, he's not going to have anyone to play with. It just seems crazy in hockey terms.

Basically, that's the Edmonton/McDavid scenario.

16 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Once the top ufa's are gone wouldn't be surprised if they trade away Kane, Towes and Jones this summer just to give them a better chance at ending up last. 

Bill Daly: The third pick ... in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft belongs to ... the Chicago Blackhawks

Kyle Davidson:
 pdhTqaeRdC58=

4 hours ago, PMAC said:

I actually think they actually are in a pretty good position. They drafted three first round picks. If at least the first two become a top four dman, and a 2nd line centre, and they win the lottery, they are in a pretty good place.

I’m hoping the change benefits Dach, but if it doesn’t, they may have gotten the better player in Nazar.

They should have gotten a lot more for DiBrincat, as well as for taking Mrazek.a contract from the leafs. The moves they made probably will result in Kane and Toews asking to be traded - and they cant be moved without them wanting to leave. I think they should get a significant return for Kane, and will get something for Toews. You also have to think they will try and get Jones to waive his NTC. This is the type of rebuild I despise, but it’s basically what they did 15-20 years ago under Tallon. It worked worked for them, for the Pens, lightening, Kings, and Toronto would be close if Dubas hasn’t messed up their cap.

i can see them getting back to contention status in 3-4 years if they manage it right. I just don’t get trading away the kids, instead of risking the PR backlash and just telling Kane and Toews they want to rebuild and want to move them - like the Rangers did when the moved McDonough, bought out Lundquist, and moved other core pieces - but hung on to younger guys like Kreider.

whether they succeed or not, depends on their management team- not sure if they will be like the Sabres/Coyotes, or the Pens/hawks from 15 years ago.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Basically, that's the Edmonton/McDavid scenario.

Oilers fxcked up on who they signed - Souray, Russell, Lucic, Kassian, amd we’re as bad as we were on player development. Other than McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, and Nurse do they have any key piece they drafted with them?  Bouchard looks like he will pan out, but sounds like Puljujarvi is going to be moved. Not only did their later round drafting suck, they pretty much messed up two number one overall picks in Yakapov, and giving away Hall.

They also got lucky that both Keith and reportedly Smith agreed to retire. 

i doubt if there is a worse management group outside of Phoenix and Buffalo!

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Bill Daly: The third pick ... in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft belongs to ... the Chicago Blackhawks

Kyle Davidson:
 pdhTqaeRdC58=

That would be sweet! And the first pick goes to Montreal - would be sweeter!

Caps no longer have any goalies on their roster after not qualifying Samsonov and trading Vanecek to the Devils. They are the front runners for Kuemper but also taking a lot of faith you can get the deal done when free agency opens up. I wonder if the Habs have any interest in Samsonov this time around as there were rumours they were looking at him last year. Also could see the Leafs taking a shot.

8 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Caps no longer have any goalies on their roster after not qualifying Samsonov and trading Vanecek to the Devils. They are the front runners for Kuemper but also taking a lot of faith you can get the deal done when free agency opens up. I wonder if the Habs have any interest in Samsonov this time around as there were rumours they were looking at him last year. Also could see the Leafs taking a shot.

Campbell and Kuemper must be pleased with the developments, they will be in big demand.  Washington, Toronto and Edmonton absolutely have to sign a decent goalie.  I wonder if Jake Allen is being pursued. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Campbell and Kuemper must be pleased with the developments, they will be in big demand.  Washington, Toronto and Edmonton absolutely have to sign a decent goalie.  I wonder if Jake Allen is being pursued. 

For sure. They should get paid well even though in all reality they are not goalies who put you over the top. Now if someone could swing a trade for Gibson, that would be the move.

Have to be willing to listen on Allen if the market is there especially if you could get a Samsonov replacement. Not sure how big of return you could realistically expect though.

24 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

You would think Washington is a team that you could pry a 1st round pick from as Ovechkin will be 37 when the season starts and Backstrom will be approaching 35.  Their window for winning another cup is starting to close. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You would think Washington is a team that you could pry a 1st round pick from as Ovechkin will be 37 when the season starts and Backstrom will be approaching 35.  Their window for winning another cup is starting to close. 

Backstrom may not even be able to play next year. 

40 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That would be sweet! And the first pick goes to Montreal - would be sweeter!

Even sweeter if it is the pick we acquired in the Chariot deal😎

Why the hell does Toronto want Matt Murray? Can anyone explain this to me? Anyone?