2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

7 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Why the hell does Toronto want Matt Murray? Can anyone explain this to me? Anyone? 

He played for Sault Ste. Marie in the OHL when Dubas was the GM and Keefe the coach.  Any player that came through there when those two were around tend to find themselves joining the Leafs.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I actually think they actually are in a pretty good position. They drafted three first round picks. If at least the first two become a top four dman, and a 2nd line centre, and they win the lottery, they are in a pretty good place.

I’m hoping the change benefits Dach, but if it doesn’t, they may have gotten the better player in Nazar.

They should have gotten a lot more for DiBrincat, as well as for taking Mrazek.a contract from the leafs. The moves they made probably will result in Kane and Toews asking to be traded - and they cant be moved without them wanting to leave. I think they should get a significant return for Kane, and will get something for Toews. You also have to think they will try and get Jones to waive his NTC. This is the type of rebuild I despise, but it’s basically what they did 15-20 years ago under Tallon. It worked worked for them, for the Pens, lightening, Kings, and Toronto would be close if Dubas hasn’t messed up their cap.

i can see them getting back to contention status in 3-4 years if they manage it right. I just don’t get trading away the kids, instead of risking the PR backlash and just telling Kane and Toews they want to rebuild and want to move them - like the Rangers did when the moved McDonough, bought out Lundquist, and moved other core pieces - but hung on to younger guys like Kreider.

whether they succeed or not, depends on their management team- not sure if they will be like the Sabres/Coyotes, or the Pens/hawks from 15 years ago.

This is exactly what they are hoping for. If they do indeed get a haul for Kane. 

The problem is ALL of their eggs are in this basket. 2022, 2023 drafts. They have to knock the drafting out of the park with most of their picks. 

It is unlikely to happen and it’s likely that their drafting turns out average even though I’m hoping for poor. 

If this big plan fails they could be in trouble 

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He played for Sault Ste. Marie in the OHL when Dubas was the GM and Keefe the coach.  Any player that came through there when those two were around tend to find themselves joining the Leafs.

I hope they have to give up another first to get rid of him in the next draft. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

So, the Leafs spend a first road pick to rid themselves of a risky, expensive goaltending mistake. Then they take on a risky, expensive goaltender, signed long term who has been trending down for at least the last 4 seasons-- whose contract is so bad they get a 3rd and 7th--  BECAUSE they have a connection through the Soo? That's wonderful! It means that Dubas isn't as smart as I feared he might be. 

It's official ... $4,687,500 of his full AAV on Leafs cap for this season and next ... leaving $6.36M this season for three forwards and a defenceman to fill out the roster as well as a backup(?) goaltender ... of course a goalie who clawed his way back to being tied for the 35th best Sv% (.906), minimum 20 games played, after being 44th (.893) and 50th (.899) the two previous seasons is the solution for their playoff woes. 

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

So $4,687,500 of his full AAV on Leafs cap for this season and next ... leaving $6.36M this season for three forwards a defenceman and a backup(?) goaltender ... of course a goalie who clawed his way back to being tied for the 35th best Sv% (.906), minimum 20 games played, after being 44th (.893) and 50th (.899) the two previous seasons is the solution for their playoff woes. 

What a massive gamble.

21 minutes ago, PMAC said:

So, the Leafs spend a first road pick to rid themselves of a risky, expensive goaltending mistake. Then they take on a risky, expensive goaltender, signed long term who has been trending down for at least the last 4 seasons-- whose contract is so bad they get a 3rd and 7th--  BECAUSE they have a connection through the Soo? That's wonderful! It means that Dubas isn't as smart as I feared he might be. 

Technically, the Leafs slid down 13 spots to get rid of Mrazek, they didn't just part with the 1st outright.  Murray also only has two years left so it's not a long-term gamble for them.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Technically, the Leafs slid down 13 spots to get rid of Mrazek, they didn't just part with the 1st outright.  Murray also only has two years left so it's not a long-term gamble for them.

But it may be for Dubas ... another first-round exit (would be after Dubas' 8th season) or two (9th) and I doubt he will keep his job.

The Murray trade is terrible for Toronto. Even for two years they’ve tied themselves to a goalie who has been either injured or lit up.

A cap hit of 4.6 million for a goalie that may be worse than Mrazek.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Ok, the Leafs traded a 1st for a second to get rid of a risky, injury prone goalie with. 2 years on his contract and immediately traded for a risky, injury prone goaltender with two years on his contract who has been trending downward for the last four years.

My point stands: this is an incredibly risky move by the Leafs and I’m still not sure why they wanted Matt Murray. 

7 hours ago, PMAC said:

My point stands: this is an incredibly risky move by the Leafs and I’m still not sure why they wanted Matt Murray. 

When Murray is on, he can be a capable starter and he'll play behind a better defence with Toronto than he had with Ottawa.  Consistency is a huge question mark but if they think they have a way to get him to play more consistently, it could work.  They obviously know him better than most teams having worked with him before with the Soo connection and as goofy as that sounds, that was almost certainly part of the decision.  It's a risky move but it's not as if the alternative options are plentiful either.

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

When Murray is on, he can be a capable starter and he'll play behind a better defence with Toronto than he had with Ottawa.  Consistency is a huge question mark but if they think they have a way to get him to play more consistently, it could work.  They obviously know him better than most teams having worked with him before with the Soo connection and as goofy as that sounds, that was almost certainly part of the decision.  It's a risky move but it's not as if the alternative options are plentiful either.

I like Steve Dangle’s take: “ This is either the beginning of an inspiring comeback story OR the beginning of the end of the Matthews era”.

I’m certainly hoping for the latter but with goalies you never can tell.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Don't see how this makes sense,  Habs would need to move people to make cap room and doesn't really fit the rebuild. 

Mike Johnson on NHL network sees John Klingberg going to Montréal. #GoHabsGo

Maybe a third party interested in Klingberg? 

Petry for Klingberg

klingberg to ….. for ……

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Maybe a third party interested in Klingberg? 

Petry for Klingberg

klingberg to ….. for ……

If you sign Klingberg, you are keeping him. 

He's a UFA, he isn't signing with Montreal to be traded a few days later. 

As for trading Petry for his rights, that's selling Petry extremely low, his rights might only be a minor part of any trade at best, especially unlikely since free agency starts in 22 hours. 

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If you sign Klingberg, you are keeping him. 

He's a UFA, he isn't signing with Montreal to be traded a few days later. 

As for trading Petry for his rights, that's selling Petry extremely low, his rights might only be a minor part of any trade at best, especially unlikely since free agency starts in 22 hours. 

I wonder what else would be reasonable for Petry? Assuming Klingberg’s rights are part. 

I don’t think the Habs can afford him and I’m not sure they would even intend to try. 

Whole thing seems unlikely to me

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder what else would be reasonable for Petry? Assuming Klingberg’s rights are part. 

I don’t think the Habs can afford him and I’m not sure they would even intend to try. 

Whole thing seems unlikely to me

Lebrun is saying Petry to Carolina is the rumour now.  

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lebrun is saying Petry to Carolina is the rumour now.  

I guess if that's true then Carolina must prefer Petry over D'Angelo. Carolina is a legitimate contender so you would think they have to do something after trading D'Angelo.  Or maybe D'Angelo just wore out his welcome like he did in other places. 

27 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Carolina would actually be a good fit for Petry. 

Is Morrow possible? 

Carolina also has all their draft picks plus the ones they acquired from Philly. I think they are in win now mode.  Targeting Petry does make sense and if not Petry then they will likely go after a UFA defensemen.