2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Saw this posted on another board.  There is definitely smoke here. 

"Multiple sources confirmed to The Athletic that wearing the Canadiens’ bleu, blanc et rouge is a dream that Dubois is not shy to talk about in private company. Now Dubois’ agent, Pat Brisson, is making those desires as public as possible. Brisson has stirred the Dubois-to-Montreal pot in multiple media appearances this week in a clear attempt to catalyze trade talks between the Jets and Canadiens. “Montreal is a city he would probably … I can talk about it because he doesn’t have a contract at the moment — he’s a restricted free agent,” Brisson told TVA Sports in French on Wednesday. “Montreal is a place, a city he’d like to play in. That’s all I can say about that.” A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to The Athletic that Dubois attended the NHL Draft in Montreal because he believed a trade would be completed on the draft floor. As first reported by Radio-Canada’s Martin Leclerc, Montreal offered three players to the Jets in hopes of securing Dubois’ rights. You’ll recall that Montreal selected Slovak right winger Juraj Slafkovsky with the No. 1 pick and then acquired Kirby Dach from Chicago. But Dach is not Montreal’s endgame. The Canadiens have continued their pursuit of Dubois since the draft. It is believed that Winnipeg is holding up the deal in an effort to secure a player Montreal has no interest in moving. This could be why Brisson is trying to increase the pressure."

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Saw this posted on another board.  There is definitely smoke here. 

"Multiple sources confirmed to The Athletic that wearing the Canadiens’ bleu, blanc et rouge is a dream that Dubois is not shy to talk about in private company. Now Dubois’ agent, Pat Brisson, is making those desires as public as possible. Brisson has stirred the Dubois-to-Montreal pot in multiple media appearances this week in a clear attempt to catalyze trade talks between the Jets and Canadiens. “Montreal is a city he would probably … I can talk about it because he doesn’t have a contract at the moment — he’s a restricted free agent,” Brisson told TVA Sports in French on Wednesday. “Montreal is a place, a city he’d like to play in. That’s all I can say about that.” A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to The Athletic that Dubois attended the NHL Draft in Montreal because he believed a trade would be completed on the draft floor. As first reported by Radio-Canada’s Martin Leclerc, Montreal offered three players to the Jets in hopes of securing Dubois’ rights. You’ll recall that Montreal selected Slovak right winger Juraj Slafkovsky with the No. 1 pick and then acquired Kirby Dach from Chicago. But Dach is not Montreal’s endgame. The Canadiens have continued their pursuit of Dubois since the draft. It is believed that Winnipeg is holding up the deal in an effort to secure a player Montreal has no interest in moving. This could be why Brisson is trying to increase the pressure."

Jets asked for Suzuki and HuGo rightfully laughed and said that we will sign him for free in two years. 

I hope Jets reconsider and decide Dvorak is a good centrepiece instead 

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Jets asked for Suzuki and HuGo rightfully laughed and said that we will sign him for free in two years. 

I hope Jets reconsider and decide Dvorak is a good centrepiece instead 

The Jets will get more selling him as a two year rental to another team.

That doesnt mean HuGo should up his offer, just the reality that the teams arent good trade partners.  Montreal has no reason to pay an exorbitant price given the stage of the rebuild and hes free in two years.  Winnipeg has other options, even as a rental, and doesnt need to sell cheap.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The Jets will get more selling him as a two year rental to another team.

That doesnt mean HuGo should up his offer, just the reality that the teams arent good trade partners.  Montreal has no reason to pay an exorbitant price given the stage of the rebuild and hes free in two years.  Winnipeg has other options, even as a rental, and doesnt need to sell cheap.

You are likely right but I bet the Jets are getting low ball offers because everyone knows the Jets are in a crappy situation. 

Same thing with Petry for us. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Same thing with Petry for us. 

Who can meet the Canadiens’ demands in a Jeff Petry trade? A team-by-team look

"But the main purpose of this exercise was to establish just how limited the market for Petry probably is right now. Even Gaudreau, as the top free agent available, only had legitimate offers from two teams, according to The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun. The entire league is tight and Hughes is looking for the right team that has money to spend. And that team, aside from Nashville, doesn’t appear to exist."

Basu basically weeds out all teams cept Nashville as a fit for Petry...

https://theathletic.com/3424708/2022/07/14/jeff-petry-trade-hughes-canadiens/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Who can meet the Canadiens’ demands in a Jeff Petry trade? A team-by-team look

"But the main purpose of this exercise was to establish just how limited the market for Petry probably is right now. Even Gaudreau, as the top free agent available, only had legitimate offers from two teams, according to The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun. The entire league is tight and Hughes is looking for the right team that has money to spend. And that team, aside from Nashville, doesn’t appear to exist."

Basu basically weeds out all teams cept Nashville as a fit for Petry...

https://theathletic.com/3424708/2022/07/14/jeff-petry-trade-hughes-canadiens/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

It’s likely that Petry starts with the Habs and we hope the market changes. 

Our hope would be that Petry finds some good offensive numbers under a new offence minded system. If that happens then Petry would have more suitors. 

18 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Deadline deal. Petry to a contender/pretender that has lost an important man to a season-ending injury.

OR ... even early-ish in the season if a team that loses a significant RHD and wants to ensure they don't fall back in / out of the playoff race ... basically whenever a good trade is available ... I think HuGo know that in a cap-restricted trade market, if you have a good offer, it isn't worth risking losing it to try to ek out a little bit more (unless there is an actual bidding was going on).

I fully expect Mathew Tkachuk to be gone soon. Heard a lot of rumblings last night from people who know people in the sports community that he is likely St. Louis bound, probably not a big secret or surprise.  Calgary cannot lose him for nothing and with Gaudreau gone it is time for him to move on. 

55 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I fully expect Mathew Tkachuk to be gone soon. Heard a lot of rumblings last night from people who know people in the sports community that he is likely St. Louis bound, probably not a big secret or surprise.  Calgary cannot lose him for nothing and with Gaudreau gone it is time for him to move on. 

He’s an RFA, they won’t lose him for nothing.  An offer sheet would cost St. Louis multiple 1st round picks, which I believe is too expensive for St. Louis.  The only route would be a trade really.  

At any point before Friday 3pm, Tkachuk could sign his $9m offer sheet.  Unless there’s a sign and trade in the works.

Calgary might be the hardest team to be a fan of right now. Not only did your old core do nothing, you lost your best player while recouping zero assets and, just to add insult to injury, he left $16 mil on the table in order to leave. Now your second-best player looks to be heading out the door.

How demoralizing. 

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Calgary might be the hardest team to be a fan of right now. Not only did your old core do nothing, you lost your best player while recouping zero assets and, just to add insult to injury, he left $16 mil on the table in order to leave. Now your second-best player looks to be heading out the door.

How demoralizing. 

I would agree. Tough to get excited about a season when you know your team will be worse than before.  I wish the Habs could have received the Flames #1 pick in 2023 instead of this year.  I wonder if that was an option for Hughes? 

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

He’s an RFA, they won’t lose him for nothing.  An offer sheet would cost St. Louis multiple 1st round picks, which I believe is too expensive for St. Louis.  The only route would be a trade really.  

At any point before Friday 3pm, Tkachuk could sign his $9m offer sheet.  Unless there’s a sign and trade in the works.

For nothing? No.

Selling him as a one year rental is a discount from him on a long term deal though.

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Of course they won't as they will trade him.  They can have him become a UFA a year from now and he won't sign long term. A trade will happen soon. 

Not sure why they simply don’t wait a year. Cost would be nothing.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Not anymore.  Calgary opted for club-elected arbitration which takes the offer sheet option off the table and the qualifying offer goes away as well (although he's guaranteed at least $9M in that hearing based on the Flames filing in the second window instead of the first).

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not sure why they simply don’t wait a year. Cost would be nothing.

Perhaps other teams can wait a year but the Flames can't. To get nothing for him and Gaudreau would be incredibly bad asset management.  Either he signs a long term contract with the Flames soon (very doubtful) or he is traded.  The Flames don't have much leverage here. 

25 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps other teams can wait a year but the Flames can't. To get nothing for him and Gaudreau would be incredibly bad asset management.  Either he signs a long term contract with the Flames soon (very doubtful) or he is traded.  The Flames don't have much leverage here. 

Oh, I know the flames can’t wait.

but if St. Louis is where he wants to go and is set at going there, why wouldn’t the Blues just wait until next year when he is a UFA. It also really would screw the flames over even more (which I’d love), becuase I can’t see other teams willing to give up much if they don’t think he can be signed

other rumour that I heard his agent fueled was that a trade is out there to be made DeBrincat for Tkachuck. So, maybe he also would be a interested in playing with his brother who is locked up for around 7 more years in Ottawa.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Oh, I know the flames can’t wait.

but if St. Louis is where he wants to go and is set at going there, why wouldn’t the Blues just wait until next year when he is a UFA. It also really would screw the flames over even more (which I’d love), becuase I can’t see other teams willing to give up much if they don’t think he can be signed

other rumour that I heard his agent fueled was that a trade is out there to be made DeBrincat for Tkachuck. So, maybe he also would be a interested in playing with his brother who is locked up for around 7 more years in Ottawa.

St. Louis can wait but there is ZERO chance the Flames let him become a UFA next year.  He will get traded somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Here's a question, given what's going on in Calgary think they might be desperate enough to take on Gallagher's full contract 🤔

I believe this is the last season of Brad Treliving's contract, so there is no chance if he is hoping for an extension ...  but if he feels like he is going to be pushed out the door then maybe a tiny, tiny, tiny chance.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Here's a question, given what's going on in Calgary think they might be desperate enough to take on Gallagher's full contract 🤔

I would say zero chance. But that's just me. The Habs would have to give a team all kinds of sweeteners (ie draft picks) to take on that contract.  The best hope is that Gallagher has a bounce back year and then maybe a small chance. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would say zero chance. But that's just me. The Habs would have to give a team all kinds of sweeteners (ie draft picks) to take on that contract.  The best hope is that Gallagher has a bounce back year and then maybe a small chance. 

Yeah, no way anyone takes that contract without a big bounce back from Gallagher.