2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

If Calgary can somehow replace Gaudreau and Tkachuk with impact players, then they might be desperate enough to be interested in Gally, because they'll be in a clear "win now" mode. But then they would be unlikely to have the cap space for that contract - unless the replacements are low-cost guys, RFAs, that kind of thing.

They're better off trading Tkachuk for prospects/picks and accepting a forced rebuild IMHO.

4 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Here's a question, given what's going on in Calgary think they might be desperate enough to take on Gallagher's full contract 🤔

No, they're not desperate enough to do that.  No team is.  I have to think the Flames will get a top-end piece for an extended Tkachuk (this will probably be a trade-and-sign deal) and by the time they re-sign Mangiapane/Kylington, they're not going to have a lot of money left which would rule any big contract off the table.  If they somehow do, they're going to jump in on a top free agent before attempting a trade.  And if that doesn't happen, then they'll look for players on short-term contracts, not underachievers with five years left.

21 minutes ago, DON said:

2018 team and the 2003 on eh...too sad to hear this crap.

https://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/hockey-canada-july-22-statement-2022-news

As my son moves through the ranks of hockey, I'm appalled by the lack of supervision these kids get, and the "old school" mentality of many of the top coaches. I wish I knew how to change it. It needs to start at the top. "Boys will be boys" is 100% a mentality that needs to end and not be accepted.

I can tell you in the US, there is Safesport. I can also tell you that 99% of organizations (if not 100%) completely ignore Safesport. For example, two adults in the locker room at all times? That ends as soon as kids know how to tie their own skates. We billeted a kid that was tossed from his organization after reporting a kid pulling a knife in the locker room and threatening another kid (they settled a fairly significant lawsuit in their home state). Parents and kids alike bullied him for "snitching". Coaches on the ice belittling kids, calling them by their mom's names, perpetuating some "you play like a girl" as a negative, will hypocritically touting the growth of strength of the girls program at the same organization. Parents laughing along with it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DON said:

2018 team and the 2003 on eh...too sad to hear this crap.

https://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/hockey-canada-july-22-statement-2022-news

Very sad, time to clean up this crap.  If stuff like this gets swept under the rug then it will continue and continue. Time to put a stop to it. Young athletes should not be coddled. 

Just now, Commandant said:

Every person in management at HC needs to be fired. 

Agree 100%.

No wonder our society is so f**ed up, if this is how people responsible for mentoring and leading our young people conduct their business.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That could very well be the case but let's get all the facts first. Obviously if 3.55M was paid for the 2018 incident then there are big problems that need to be addressed. You don't pay out that kind of money without something happening. 

It really ticks me off that tax money (your and mine)  goes to Hockey Canada.  There are a lot of ticked off people right now and some pretty nervous hockey players. 

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Agreed. But I also think that the players involved need to be named. Management and the individual players involved need to be named.

Makes you wonder if any of the players from the greatest draft ever were involved.

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That could very well be the case but let's get all the facts first. Obviously if 3.55M was paid for the 2018 incident then there are big problems that need to be addressed. You don't pay out that kind of money without something happening. 

It really ticks me off that tax money (your and mine)  goes to Hockey Canada.  There are a lot of ticked off people right now and some pretty nervous hockey players. 

Yeah. I think the management group should individually be held liable, along with the individuals involved. Definitely should not be a slush fund for it.

This was from Jordin Tootoo's book. I guess these young kids weren't getting much supervision or direction.  What is a head shaker for me is that Stephen Brunt thought it was ok to include this in the book?  Obviously a LOT has to change regarding the culture.

"But frick, we were just kids back then. The shit that we did. . . . We were horny young men. We were in Halifax and we had every goddamned girl hitting on us. What are you going to do? Let's start slaying these broads. And it wasn't just one-on one action. A few of the guys would get a couple of girls after practice and head into one of the rooms. Enough said."

It seems those players that are innocent, are coming out and piping up to media that "I" wasnt one of the 8.

And others not Hockey Canada related are being taken to task...i hope.

37 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed. But I also think that the players involved need to be named. Management and the individual players involved need to be named.

Makes you wonder if any of the players from the greatest draft ever were involved.

Every player involved needs to be named, and should face criminal prosecution if the acts are as alledged and of a criminal nature. 

38 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

wouldn't be many from the 2003 draft on the 2003 team.  Most would be on the 2004 and 2005 teams.

The 2003 team would be the 2001 and 2002 drafts mostly.... 

The most important thing is to first of all get all the facts, find out what happened. If criminal activity was covered up and swept under the rug then there will be hell to pay. Whenever settlement money is paid out then you really have to wonder. The optics are certainly not good right now. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

wouldn't be many from the 2003 draft on the 2003 team.  Most would be on the 2004 and 2005 teams.

The 2003 team would be the 2001 and 2002 drafts mostly.... 

Are examples from pretty much every year for the CHL, that got poo pooed as a whore or slut looking to make a name for herself or some other such BS...only name The Athletic bit mentioned (i didnt read it all, sickening) was Ed Jovanovski.

While it is clear that this behaviour is unacceptable, I don't think it is fair to blame people at Hockey Canada for not naming names of accused players. 

Its fine to say they should come forward and say what they have heard but there are privacy laws they are required to obey.  The media is happy to insist that people should name names but has no problem keeping their own sources confidential.    People have obligations to respect the privacy of others.  If officials at HC do name names, they will be the ones being sued (and possibly facing legal sanctions) not the media.

Also, if settlements have been made, these could be jeopardized by people naming the accused. 

1 minute ago, Peter Puck said:

While it is clear that this behaviour is unacceptable, I don't think it is fair to blame people at Hockey Canada for not naming names of accused players. 

Its fine to say they should come forward and say what they have heard but there are privacy laws they are required to obey.  The media is happy to insist that people should name names but has no problem keeping their own sources confidential.    People have obligations to respect the privacy of others.  If officials at HC do name names, they will be the ones being sued (and possibly facing legal sanctions) not the media.

Also, if settlements have been made, these could be jeopardized by people naming the accused. 

BULLSHIT

They have to report the allegations to police and they didn't.... they covered it up, paying hush money instead of holding people accountable.

The settlements are BULLSHIT.

Those who commit crimes should be charged with crimes, not pay money to cover it up. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

BULLSHIT

They have to report the allegations to police and they didn't.... they covered it up, paying hush money instead of holding people accountable.

The settlements are BULLSHIT.

Those who commit crimes should be charged with crimes, not pay money to cover it up. 

Its not that simple.  Just hearing about something doesn't require someone to report it to the police. 

Have you reported the allegations you have recently heard about these events to the police?     Why not?  You presume they already know more than you do of course. 

The settlements may be bullshit but they do exist.  I fully agree that people who commit crimes should be charged and not be allowed to cover it up. 

People who do bad things should be punished but its not enough that someone has been accused. 

The fact remains that officials often learn confidential things in the course of their work.   They have both a legal and moral obligation to maintain such information in confidence.  Of course if they have real evidence of a crime they also have a legal and moral obligation to report it. 

If someone from HC says that he heard that player X was involved and then it turns out that player X was not, player X will be entitled to sue. 

32 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Its not that simple.  Just hearing about something doesn't require someone to report it to the police. 

Have you reported the allegations you have recently heard about these events to the police?     Why not?  You presume they already know more than you do of course. 

The settlements may be bullshit but they do exist.  I fully agree that people who commit crimes should be charged and not be allowed to cover it up. 

People who do bad things should be punished but its not enough that someone has been accused. 

The fact remains that officials often learn confidential things in the course of their work.   They have both a legal and moral obligation to maintain such information in confidence.  Of course if they have real evidence of a crime they also have a legal and moral obligation to report it. 

If someone from HC says that he heard that player X was involved and then it turns out that player X was not, player X will be entitled to sue. 

If they paid money to hush it up, then it is more than just hearing about the events.... they wouldn't have paid hush money without more information.  So PUH-LEASE stop defending the indefensible. 

The very fact they paid hush money means they knew that something wrong happened and that police should have been involved. 

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

That’s bullshit!!  You are comparing news we are reading about or watching in the media, and comparing us not asking the police to take action to those that are receiving allegations and facing threats of lawsuit from the victim???  Seriously??? If it’s just heresay  Why would they be paying hush money and settling for something they don’t think is a legit allegation??? Why are they trying to sweep something under the rug, instead of holding people accountable, rather than trying to cover things up??

• Upvote 1