2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Full trade 

Tkachuk (signed for 8x$9.5) for Huberdeau, Weegar, Cole Schwindt and a first

Guess Calgary giving up on USA born players because they got back all Canadian players 😹😂😂😂

With all that cap space they can add Gallagher to the team 👍

Actually from a Habs fan point of view, I like this trade. This has to make Florida worse next year, perhaps they made this trade knowing they couldn't sign Huberdeau and Weegar but it has to hurt them this year.  They have no cap flexibility this year and no more 1st round picks to trade to fill in gaps. 

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... This has to make Florida worse next year ...

I don't know that I would automatically assume they are worse ... Tkachuk brings a different style that may greatly benefit them.

They obviously face some cap/ roster challenges ... Bobrovsky is an albatross of a contract ... unless there is a season-ending, LTIR injury somewhere on that roster, I expect they may well consider significant salary retention if they can get Sergei to waive his NMC ... not many other places they can save the, at least, $3.4M they need to become cap compliant ... Reinhart, Hörnqvist (8 team NTC), Bennett and Verhaeghe seem to be the other trade candidates.

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Holy crap @ Florida 

That seems like a very heavy price. 

I hope they miss the playoffs this year

Huberdeau makes some sense ... Panthers add goal scoring and physicality but give up a QUALITY winger to do so ... the bigger price may well be Weeger ... he was 2nd (regular season) and 3rd (playoffs) in TOI for Florida defencemen last season ... that is a big hole to fill ... but they were already over the cap so they moved out enough money to sign Tkachuk.

From Calgary's perspective, it will be a quality return for this coming season but overall it will depend on whether they can extend either player, or get significant assets for them in a trade ... and with the loss of both Gaudreau and Tkachuk from the top 6 is this still a "Darryl Sutter" team?"

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

No, they can't.  They still have two players to re-sign and once they do that, they can't afford Gallagher.  No matter how many times you want to type that Gallagher can be traded, he can't be traded.  Period.  No team is trading for him coming off a seven-goal season with five years left at $6.5 million.  Look at what good players are being given away for - Pacioretty for nothing, Bjorkstrand for two mid-round picks.  And you're trying to argue that Gallagher can be traded in this marketplace?  It's not even remotely plausible or realistic.  Stop suggesting it can happen - it can't.

• Upvote 1

Calgary won it.

Calgary gets rid of Monahan and Lucic contract after this year, 11.5 m this is more than enough for Huberdeau contract. They have 9.3 available this year for Kadri, plus Zary and Pelletier will most likely make the team. Add to this a 1st round and Weegar. Calgary is now great shape for a long stretch.

• Like 1

HUGE win for Calgary, especially considering the terrible negotiating position they were starting from. Of course they do have to re-sign those guys. But damn. They actually improved their team relative to just having Tkachuk. That is one sweet bloody piece of GMing.

Florida panicked after the bad playoff, IMHO. You don’t fire the coach and then blow up a team that strong. You keep it together and let it learn how to win. Dumb.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Huberdeau makes some sense ... Panthers add goal scoring and physicality but give up a QUALITY winger to do so ... the bigger price may well be Weeger ... he was 2nd (regular season) and 3rd (playoffs) in TOI for Florida defencemen last season ... that is a big hole to fill ... but they were already over the cap so they moved out enough money to sign Tkachuk.

From Calgary's perspective, it will be a quality return for this coming season but overall it will depend on whether they can extend either player, or get significant assets for them in a trade ... and with the loss of both Gaudreau and Tkachuk from the top 6 is this still a "Darryl Sutter" team?"

Florida was already weak on the backend so to give up Weegar is going to hurt. 

Rumours are Huberdeau wants to be a Hab just like PLD. If that is the case that he won’t sign long term with Calgary then expect a trade deadline deal for additional assets. 

Good job Calgary 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

.. the bigger price may well be Weeger ... he was 2nd (regular season) and 3rd (playoffs) in TOI for Florida defencemen last season ... that is a big hole to fill ... but they were already over the cap so they moved out enough money to sign Tkachuk.

And that's why I think they will be worse. When I look at Florida's defense, I just don't see a contender.  Heaven forbid they suffer any injuries and they have no cap flexibility. 

1 hour ago, Easy Ryder said:

Calgary won it.

Calgary gets rid of Monahan and Lucic contract after this year, 11.5 m this is more than enough for Huberdeau contract. They have 9.3 available this year for Kadri, plus Zary and Pelletier will most likely make the team. Add to this a 1st round and Weegar. Calgary is now great shape for a long stretch.

Don't forget about Mangiapane (35 goals last season) and Kylington (31 points as a d-man last season) as RFAs.  That's where most of that $9.3M is going to.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Full trade 

Tkachuk (signed for 8x$9.5) for Huberdeau, Weegar, Cole Schwindt and a first

Guess Calgary giving up on USA born players because they got back all Canadian players 😹😂😂😂

When I 1st saw this post I looked for info but couldn't find any so I assumed it was a rumour or hoax, but nope. 

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

HUGE win for Calgary, especially considering the terrible negotiating position they were starting from. Of course they do have to re-sign those guys. But damn. They actually improved their team relative to just having Tkachuk. That is one sweet bloody piece of GMing.

Florida panicked after the bad playoff, IMHO. You don’t fire the coach and then blow up a team that strong. You keep it together and let it learn how to win. Dumb.

I fully agree.  They were in a crap position and as long as they can resign both Flames won the trade plus improved their team.

It's funny some of the expectations that some top teams have and the moves they make when they dont win the Cup.  It's an unarguable fact that every season there a minimum of 3 Division leading teams that fail to win the Cup. 

26 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... as long as they can resign both Flames won the trade plus improved their team ...

That is a major "as long as" ... until that is known (or they flip them for assets) it is difficult to assess the trade.

8 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Rumours are Huberdeau wants to be a Hab just like PLD. If that is the case that he won’t sign long term with Calgary then expect a trade deadline deal for additional assets. 

I'm pretty sure Huberdeau wanted to stay in Florida, but now that he has been traded it very well could open the door to him joining the Habs.

Who did Dadonov and Hoffman play with on Flor when they had their 30 g seasons?  Was it Huberdeau or Barkov?  Either way, neither have come close to their totals since leaving Flor.  I could see the same thing happening with Tkachuk too.  He got 40+ g playing with Gaudreau, but is he a legit 40 g guy not playing with him?  Tkachuk is realy good, but he might just be 30-35 g guy.  However, Huberdeau has proven that he is a assist creating machine. 

27 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Tkachuk too.  He got 40+ g playing with Gaudreau, but is he a legit 40 g guy not playing with him?  Tkachuk is realy good, but he might just be 30-35 g guy.  However, Huberdeau has proven that he is a assist creating machine. 

Good point on Huberdeau ... but Gaudreau's two best seasons were with Tkachuk on the team ... which of the two is the chicken and which is the egg?

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Good point on Huberdeau ... but Gaudreau's two best seasons were with Tkachuk on the team ... which of the two is the chicken and which is the egg?

The funny thing is that it could be both of them.  They could be each others Golden Goose that they are now separated from.  It could be a crazy outlier year for them that neither repeat.  I doubt either will get over 50 a/yr ever again or 40+ g too.  Meanwhile, Huby will continue to get around 30g and 60a.  I'd say he's the type of player that screws GMs up.  i.e. when you see a player get 30g/yr but then they become a UFA and get signed as a 30g scorer and only get low to mid 20's.  His play making skill inflate his linemates goals.  

Just thinking about the Tkachuk trade, it seems like Zito is planning for after this year.  He didn't want to pay the maximum to Huberdeau and Weegar who are becoming free agents, also has Yandle on the books for 1 more year at 5.4M and Hornqvist who is 35 for 1 more year at 5.3M.  He realizes he is too tight against the cap to make any moves this year but will be able to go hard after free agents for the 2023-24 season.  I expect Florida to fall back a bit this year (hopefully more than a bit) but rebound in 2023-24.

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Just thinking about the Tkachuk trade, it seems like Zito is planning for after this year.  He didn't want to pay the maximum to Huberdeau and Weegar who are becoming free agents, also has Yandle on the books for 1 more year at 5.4M and Hornqvist who is 35 for 1 more year at 5.3M.  He realizes he is too tight against the cap to make any moves this year but will be able to go hard after free agents for the 2023-24 season.  I expect Florida to fall back a bit this year (hopefully more than a bit) but rebound in 2023-24.

I’m hoping they fall back a LOT and have a lottery pick. They have at least $15m in bad contracts to Bob the goalie and Yandle. Hopefully they change in chemistry and the coaching change hurt them.

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... I expect Florida to fall back a bit this year (hopefully more than a bit) but rebound in 2023-24.

:hyper:

27 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m hoping they fall back a LOT and have a lottery pick ...

:1banana:  :hyper:  :pray:

On 7/23/2022 at 7:59 AM, dlbalr said:

No, they can't.  They still have two players to re-sign and once they do that, they can't afford Gallagher.  No matter how many times you want to type that Gallagher can be traded, he can't be traded.  Period.  No team is trading for him coming off a seven-goal season with five years left at $6.5 million.  Look at what good players are being given away for - Pacioretty for nothing, Bjorkstrand for two mid-round picks.  And you're trying to argue that Gallagher can be traded in this marketplace?  It's not even remotely plausible or realistic.  Stop suggesting it can happen - it can't.

I just wonder what the cost would be to get rid of Gallagher's contract. I cringe just thinking about the cost. He is here for a while, a long while.  My hope is that he bounces back to 20-25 goals this year and Montreal gets at least some value for the money they are paying. Gally is a proud and determined guy, I wouldn't bet against him bouncing back.  

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just wonder what the cost would be to get rid of Gallagher's contract. I cringe just thinking about the cost. He is here for a while, a long while.  My hope is that he bounces back to 20-25 goals this year and Montreal gets at least some value for the money they are paying. Gally is a proud and determined guy, I wouldn't bet against him bouncing back.  

Well if Gallagher is here from at least 3 years out of the 5 left on his contract then we make him team captain. 

Gallagher's contract makes him enough of a lightning rod for criticism.  I wouldnt add the C on top of it.

And while weve traded many captains, I dont think the C should be given to a guy that management would love to trade before he even gets the letter.

• Upvote 1