2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

29 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Yahoo sports reporting a rumour that Huberdeau isn’t happy about being traded to Calgary and won’t re-sign with them.  

I am not that bothered one way or the other.  Zero chance the Habs trade for him.  If he is a UFA next year then perhaps if the term and numbers are right you might look at it  but I prefer continuing with the rebuild, see how Dach progresses and then see what is available with their own and Florida's 1st round pick. I am not really that interested in signing a 30 year old to big numbers next year, doesn't fit what Hughes is trying to do.  I don't think there are any short cuts here. 

41 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Yahoo sports reporting a rumour that Huberdeau isn’t happy about being traded to Calgary and won’t re-sign with them.  

The crux of the article from Yahoo (unless you're citing a different one) is that Huberdeau was unhappy with how the trade happened (ie, not long after discussions on a contract extension), not that he won't re-sign with them.

Huberdeau today said he's open to signing there.

Of course, it's not as if he's going to come in and say he's not open to it...

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Dont need (or can afford) a crazy expensive centre anyways, do we? And with 671 games under his belt already, not really what Habs need in 4-5-6 years is it?

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Dont need (or can afford) a crazy expensive centre anyways, do we? And with 671 games under his belt already, not really what Habs need in 4-5-6 years is it?

LW

Although he did take 54 faceoffs last season.

Huby can say he's open to resigning but really he will have to play there for 1 year to see how much he likes it.  The Flames do have a good team, but he might not like other players, coach, or more importantly the cold winters. 

Dubois on signing long term:  "If you sign with a team because you like the head coach, he may very well be fired two months after you sign... If you sign because you like the guys in the room, they may as well be traded from one day to the next.  You know, like David Savard, he's my brother. When I asked the Blue Jackets for a trade, I almost decided to stay there to stay with him... Well he got traded six months later."

Also, I just read an article saying Anderson has lost 6 lbs and has greatly strengthened his shoulders.   It will be interesting to see how big of a difference it makes and if it can keep him healthy and playing more games.   

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Huby can say he's open to resigning but really he will have to play there for 1 year to see how much he likes it.  The Flames do have a good team, but he might not like other players, coach, or more importantly the cold winters. 

Dubois on signing long term:  "If you sign with a team because you like the head coach, he may very well be fired two months after you sign... If you sign because you like the guys in the room, they may as well be traded from one day to the next.  You know, like David Savard, he's my brother. When I asked the Blue Jackets for a trade, I almost decided to stay there to stay with him... Well he got traded six months later."

Also, I just read an article saying Anderson has lost 6 lbs and has greatly strengthened his shoulders.   It will be interesting to see how big of a difference it makes and if it can keep him healthy and playing more games.   

Huby also said that his agent and the team started discussing an extension. I don’t think he’d sign before the season starts, but I’d expect that Calgary will probably want to get him signed a month or so into the season. No way is Calgary let him play a season before signing. I’d expect him to be signed between training camp and November.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:28 PM, Commandant said:

Every person in management at HC needs to be fired. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Maxwell is probably a Gorton hire, and was in NY for most of Gorton's tenure. Morehouse was a very recent arrival, though, probably not much overlap.

But Maxwell may have convinced Morehouse that MTL is the place to go.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

But Maxwell may have convinced Morehouse that MTL is the place to go.

Quite so. We will find out soon, I expect, whether they will be coming to the Habs'b organization.

23 minutes ago, DON said:

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/07/30/projection-based-on-startling-statistics/

Seems reasonable to me.

PLAYER TOTAL
MINUTES
MINUTES
PER GAME
GOALS ASSISTS POINTS
FORWARDS          
Nick Suzuki 1550 20:30 20 38 58
Cole Caufield 1440 19:00 31 24 55

I don't know about that.  I would expect Suzuki's point totals to go up not down  having the opportunity to play under St. Louis for a full year.  I think he averaged close to a point a game once St. Louis took over. 

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't know about that.  I would expect Suzuki's point totals to go up not down  having the opportunity to play under St. Louis for a full year.  I think he averaged close to a point a game once St. Louis took over. 

Basically same projection as last year total.

And sure, he could easily improve if stays healthy and team does "OK".

But, also 58pts 'seems reasonable', am sure all us fans hope & pray he is 70-80+pts; but i dont expect it this year.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/7/30/23284854/saturday-headlines-new-habs-evgenii-dadonov-mike-matheson-habs-hockey-canada-sexual-assault-scandal

So, it's nice to get links here -- but it would be even nicer to get a sentence describing what the article is about. "Josh Anderson" alone doesn't really tell me whether it's something I want to read. :)

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

So, it's nice to get links here -- but it would be even nicer to get a sentence describing what the article is about. "Josh Anderson" alone doesn't really tell me whether it's something I want to read. :)

I know right. I had to click the back button on my internet browser. 

8-0 Canada up huge on the poor Swiss after 1st period.

D-man for USA, name sounds familiar.

24 Lucas St. Louis Defence L  5'1117003-30-2005 Old Greenwich, CT Brunswick School (USHS)

4 hours ago, DON said:

2023 draft kids at Hlinka, which started today.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/hlinka-gretzky-cup-top-15-2023-nhl-draft-prospects-to-watch

Kinda guessing habs will be picking in top 15 next summer.

I would guess that as well.  What would be fantastic is if the Habs had 2 picks in the top 15!!

Next season I will actually be cheering for the Leafs when they play Florida.  That will be weird.