2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

2.5 seems low for Romy, but what do I know. Good deal for the Isles if so.

That's around where I thought he'd be.  19 points in 133 career games with a 19:07 ATOI and no arbitration rights or even offer sheet eligibility.  We all think Romanov is capable of more but Lamoriello isn't one to pay up for future performance and the numbers that say he's a top-four guy at this point aren't there.

What surprises me more is 3 x $4M for Dobson, a move that takes him to a year away from UFA eligibility.  That's a risky move for them to make.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DON said:

https://theathletic.com/3510017/2022/08/22/nhl-pipeline-rankings-2022-prospects/

Nice to see this in anyones rankings.

"Boston Bruins rank No. 32 in NHL Pipeline Rankings for 2022"

Boston has had a crazy long run as an elite team. I can really do with the thought of them sucking ass for a good while.

• Upvote 1

Quelle surprise ... potential money-maker ... but I bet it won't be hosted in Vegas.

Speaking of Vegas

At first I thought they ran a naming contest and got punked ... or Jaromir Jagr bought the naming rights ... but in fact it is in recognition of Donald (“Donze”) and Barbara Mullett’s commitment to ASU and Sun Devil Athletics.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

I just dont think he will even get 15g this year.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/08/fantasy-focus-brendan-gallagher-9/

With the hip + foot injuries I assume he'll be slow but he has a great wrist shot. If he can shift his game a bit he can get 15-20.

I have to think we take him off net front duty though it's just too tough on his body now.

14 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

With the hip + foot injuries I assume he'll be slow but he has a great wrist shot. If he can shift his game a bit he can get 15-20.

I have to think we take him off net front duty though it's just too tough on his body now.

60gms 12g 20a

27 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

But a large part of his production comes from the "net front duty" ... I fear it would almost be as if back in the day someone told Shaq he needed to shoot more threes to avoid some of the pounding he took near the hoop (his 3-pt shooting percentage was 0.045 going 1 for 22).

NOTE: the example is intentionally hyperbolic, but conceptually sound IMO ... moving away from the net would IMO greatly reduce his effectiveness/production/value.

This was always a predictable outcome for Gallagher: that his body would start breaking down as a result of the style he has to play to be successful. People said this years ago.

We’ve already seen him try, at times, to play a more self-preserving style. He is always useless at it.

He has had two consecutive years of poor performance, including - shockingly by his standards - a pretty dismal playoff in 2021. While I expect that he will still have little spurts where he looks like his old self, his reputation has already outstripped his play and he will likely continue to be an often-injured, inconsistent producer with cruddy numbers. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DON said:

I just dont think he will even get 15g this year.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/08/fantasy-focus-brendan-gallagher-9/

It's definitely possible that he doesn't.  I flip-flopped a bit with him; my initial projection was a bit lower than the 19 I settled on.  I just don't see him staying around the 5% mark for shooting percentage; history suggests he's going to get it closer to 10%.  Forecast a bit more of an offensive environment and there's the potential for a bounceback.  (10.6% is what my projection works out to.)  

Maybe he's more of a passer again and we know his shots aren't the most dangerous but I honestly do think that the wear and tear from the playoffs had him fighting an uphill battle last season.  He should be going into training camp the healthiest he has been in a couple of years now so an early surge isn't out of the question.  That's why I put him a bit higher than my first projection.  Well, that and hope as with as bad as that contract was from day one, I don't think anyone foresaw him producing at the level he did last season that early.  In the last year or two, sure, but not year one.  

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This was always a predictable outcome for Gallagher: that his body would start breaking down as a result of the style he has to play to be successful. People said this years ago.

We’ve already seen him try, at times, to play a more self-preserving style. He is always useless at it.

He has had two consecutive years of poor performance, including - shockingly by his standards - a pretty dismal playoff in 2021. While I expect that he will still have little spurts where he looks like his old self, his reputation has already outstripped his play and he will likely continue to be an often-injured, inconsistent producer with cruddy numbers. 

This is bang on. 

I believe this entire thing should be caution on Anderson and it’s why I think we should trade him (Gallagher too but nobody wants him). 

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This is bang on. 

I believe this entire thing should be caution on Anderson and it’s why I think we should trade him (Gallagher too but nobody wants him). 

Sorry to say i agree, seems Anderson goes into boards like a bull and often banged up and i think St Louis has mentioned he can slow down and not give-er 110% all the time.

But, when Anderson is on, he is a fun player to watch.

I would like to see Gallagher firing the puck alot more.

e.g.

21-22- 2.53 shots/gm

20-21- 3.02shots/gm

19-20- 3.83shots/gm

50 minutes ago, DON said:

... I would like to see Gallagher firing the puck alot more.

e.g.

21-22- 2.53 shots/gm

20-21- 3.02shots/gm

19-20- 3.83shots/gm

But where were those shots from?   Is the reduction because he can't play as effectively around the net as he did in past years?

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

But a large part of his production comes from the "net front duty" ... I fear it would almost be as if back in the day someone told Shaq he needed to shoot more threes to avoid some of the pounding he took near the hoop (his 3-pt shooting percentage was 0.045 going 1 for 22).

NOTE: the example is intentionally hyperbolic, but conceptually sound IMO ... moving away from the net would IMO greatly reduce his effectiveness/production/value.

No it's a terrible comparison tbh. Gally can already shoot and be a threat not in front of the net. It's not learning a new skill... He has the skill already. He doesn't have to be the dedicated net front presence to go to the net and be a problem down low.

1 minute ago, Plutarch said:

No it's a terrible comparison tbh. Gally can already shoot and be a threat not in front of the net. It's not learning a new skill... He has the skill already. He doesn't have to be the dedicated net front presence to go to the net and be a problem down low.

I said it was HYPERBOLIC (i.e., greatly exaggerated) ... the point was simply that asking a player to not do what they do best will significantly impact their performance ... Gallagher as a perimeter player is useless IMO.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Sorry to say i agree, seems Anderson goes into boards like a bull and often banged up and i think St Louis has mentioned he can slow down and not give-er 110% all the time.

e.g.

21-22- 2.53 shots/gm

20-21- 3.02shots/gm

19-20- 3.83shots/gm

Anderson is really fun to watch because he typically goes balls to the wall and makes crazy high speed stuff happen but holy hell he beats the crap out himself doing it. 

I bet we see more of the Dvorak, Armia, Gallagher line which looked great at times. I don’t hold hope that Gallagher can contribute outside of his net presence style though. He is too slow to be a rush winger, he doesn’t have that heavy slapper or crazy stick handling skills. Gallagher has his net presence, annoying presence and a decent in close wrister 

After the multiple hand injuries, Gallagher’s shot is not a threat anymore.

Indo not remember him ever having a big slap shot

so, the shot percentage may or may not Improve

driving the bet creating chaos and impersonating A. Shaw when he was not suffering from concussions 

• Upvote 1

Re: Suzuki as C, I’m agin it. He is still developing. Leave him the A but do not give him the added burden of the captaincy. It should go to Edmundson as a transitional C, then to Suzuki in a couple of years when Edmundson is gone.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I said it was HYPERBOLIC (i.e., greatly exaggerated) ... the point was simply that asking a player to not do what they do best will significantly impact their performance ... Gallagher as a perimeter player is useless IMO.

On rereading my response seemed oddly rude. Sorry. But there's room between perimeter player and netfront presence. I think he can find a position hovering nearby the crease without needing to take as many cross checks to the hips and back.

22 hours ago, DON said:

e.g.

21-22- 2.53 shots/gm

20-21- 3.02shots/gm

19-20- 3.83shots/gm

Since we are talking about shooting... Does Anderson have a one timer? My brain tells me no but it seems like he should?

2 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Since we are talking about shooting... Does Anderson have a one timer? My brain tells me no but it seems like he should?

Anderson has one move. Fire up the afterburner and power past or through everything in his path. Scare the shit out of the goalie and shoot in close. Not knocking it. It's fun to watch. I just haven't seem much else as far as shooting goes.