2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

$100M to MacKinnon -- $126M AAV for eight years. He may well be worth it, but the Avs will have some juggling to do, with almost $40M committed to their top four players starting with the 2023-2024 season.

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

$100M to MacKinnon -- $126M AAV for eight years. He may well be worth it, but the Avs will have some juggling to do, with almost $40M committed to their top four players starting with the 2023-2024 season.

Luckily the cap ceiling is expected to go up slightly again next season (23/24) and then start truly climbing due to the new revenues (e.g., TV deals).

Hughes has given Price the option to stay with the team throughout the season and Carey is considering it.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hughes has given Price the option to stay with the team throughout the season and Carey is considering it.

I wonder if Price would consider actual retirement from the NHL if the Habs offered him some kind of a job (scout, adviser, etc) making the same or even better than he is currently getting? His actual salary is around 7 million. 

IDK if the recapture penalty applies here or if the NHL would balk at such a thing. 

42 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder if Price would consider actual retirement from the NHL if the Habs offered him some kind of a job (scout, adviser, etc) making the same or even better than he is currently getting? His actual salary is around 7 million. 

IDK if the recapture penalty applies here or if the NHL would balk at such a thing. 

I am certain that would be considered cap circumvention ... 

ARTICLE 26

NO CIRCUMVENTION

... Article 26 is designed to prohibit and prevent conduct that Circumvents the terms of this Agreement ...

Back in 2010, an arbitrator determined the NHL was within its legal right to reject the 17-year, $102 million contract Kovalchuk signed with the New Jersey Devils despite it not contravening any specific elements of the CBA because "Article 26(3) allows for a finding of circumvention if the ***INTENTION*** of the parties was to circumvent the CBA OR if the net effect of the deal, intention aside, was to get around the CBA."

Price made a very poor choice of words last spring when he said he "... at the end of the day, I want to be able to say that I left the game playing well and not being a burden ...” ... despite LTIR, his contract is now a burden ... LTIR may allow the Habs to "replace" his AAV, but it restricts what roster moves they can make in-season, and it also means that any bonuses earned get pushed forward against the cap of the following season ... but it is unrealistic to expect him to walk away from the $31.25 million dollars in actual salary he will receive in the final four years of his contract.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I am certain that would be considered cap circumvention ... 

ARTICLE 26

NO CIRCUMVENTION

... Article 26 is designed to prohibit and prevent conduct that Circumvents the terms of this Agreement ...

Back in 2010, an arbitrator determined the NHL was within its legal right to reject the 17-year, $102 million contract Kovalchuk signed with the New Jersey Devils despite it not contravening any specific elements of the CBA because "Article 26(3) allows for a finding of circumvention if the ***INTENTION*** of the parties was to circumvent the CBA OR if the net effect of the deal, intention aside, was to get around the CBA."

Price made a very poor choice of words last spring when he said he "... at the end of the day, I want to be able to say that I left the game playing well and not being a burden ...” ... despite LTIR, his contract is now a burden ... LTIR may allow the Habs to "replace" his AAV, but it restricts what roster moves they can make in-season, and it also means that any bonuses earned get pushed forward against the cap of the following season ... but it is unrealistic to expect him to walk away from the $31.25 million dollars in actual salary he will receive in the final four years of his contract.

I guess the other option is to pay Arizona to take his contract. Weber really didn’t cost that much to dump. 

That 10.5 cap is a headache even if we use LTIR like you pointed out so ideally Price agrees to a contract trade and it doesn’t cost us too much. 

I might consider Florida’s pick

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I guess the other option is to pay Arizona to take his contract. Weber really didn’t cost that much to dump. 

That 10.5 cap is a headache even if we use LTIR like you pointed out so ideally Price agrees to a contract trade and it doesn’t cost us too much. 

I might consider Florida’s pick

The Weber trade was about Vegas finding a way to move Dadonov's contract off the books without having to give up any draft picks or prospects ... pure magic by Hughes IMO.

Price's contract does offer a "budget/floor team" a LITTLE free cap hit ($42M in cap hit for $31.25M in real dollars over four seasons * ) but not enough to entice a team like Arizona ... especially given that the 'Yotes revenues will be even lower than usual for the next three seasons (at least), until their new arena is built ... I suspect it would take a lot more than a first rounder ... maybe something like two first rounders and two top prospects ... far too high a price for a rebuilding team like the Habs to pay IMO.,

* - as a point of comparison Weber's contract offers $7,857,143 in AAV for four seasons for a total of $6M in real dollars ... slightly over $25M in "free" cap hit for four seasons ... but Hughes couldn't find a deal he liked until Vegas was desperate.

Yeah, Price's contract would be quite pricey to dump unless it was almost fully insured (and I'm not sure it is).  With Weber (who had some insurance but not on the full contract), the lower cash outlay was appealing to Arizona and let's face it, he'll wind up there probably within the next year or so anyway.  That isn't really the case with Price. 

Montreal is just going to be stuck with carrying that contract and running the bonus overage penalty for each of the next four seasons (unless he returns and really changes things up).  

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... unless he returns and really changes things up  

... OR ... retires ... likely about the same probability.

17 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Erik Johnson is coming off the cap after this season.  They will have plenty of space from that. 

The two most painful moves for the Avs cap are ones that they have already made, allowing Nazem Kadri and Darcy Kuemper to walk as UFAs. 

Will Gallagher rebound...a bit?

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/09/assessing-the-depth-right-wingers-6/

Does it help capwise if Armia is waived to AHL? Minor amount?

Any idea if 238lbs for the Slovac kid, means he is bit overweight and in a few years will likely play at 225-230lb, or simply does have a huge frame for an 18year old and will likely grow over next couple years?

18 hours ago, DON said:

Any idea if 238lbs for the Slovac kid, means he is bit overweight and in a few years will likely play at 225-230lb, or simply does have a huge frame for an 18year old and will likely grow over next couple years?

I think he's just a physical beast. His game is very raw though, I think we're realistically looking at age 21 or 22 when he really puts it all together. We have to be very patient with Slaffy.

Here’s the Canadiens’ pre-season schedule:

DATE TIME OPPONENT LOCATION
SUN, SEPT. 25 3:00 PM ET Red vs White Bell Centre
MON, SEPT. 26 7:00 PM ET New Jersey Bell Centre
WED, SEPT. 28 7:00 PM ET Toronto Scotiabank Arena
THU, SEPT. 29 7:00 PM ET Winnipeg Bell Centre
SAT, OCT. 1 7:00 PM ET Ottawa Canadian Tire Centre
MON, OCT. 3 7:00 PM ET Toronto Bell Centre
TUE, OCT. 4 7:00 PM ET Ottawa Bell Centre
THU, OCT. 6 5:30 PM ET Ottawa Steele Community Centre (Gander, NL)
SAT, OCT. 8 6:00 PM ET Ottawa J.K. Irving Centre (Bouctouche, NB)

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Here’s the Canadiens’ pre-season schedule:

DATE TIME OPPONENT LOCATION
SUN, SEPT. 25 3:00 PM ET Red vs White Bell Centre
MON, SEPT. 26 7:00 PM ET New Jersey Bell Centre
WED, SEPT. 28 7:00 PM ET Toronto Scotiabank Arena
THU, SEPT. 29 7:00 PM ET Winnipeg Bell Centre
SAT, OCT. 1 7:00 PM ET Ottawa Canadian Tire Centre
MON, OCT. 3 7:00 PM ET Toronto Bell Centre
TUE, OCT. 4 7:00 PM ET Ottawa Bell Centre
THU, OCT. 6 5:30 PM ET Ottawa Steele Community Centre (Gander, NL)
SAT, OCT. 8 6:00 PM ET Ottawa J.K. Irving Centre (Bouctouche, NB)

Looking at the Canadiens website, their schedule shows that all the pre-season games are televised ... the last two seem to be TVASports only ... the others are on RDS and at least one TSN channel, or a Sportsnet channel in the case of the game in Toronto.

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Looking at the Canadiens website, their schedule shows that all the pre-season games are televised ... the last two seem to be TVASports only ... the others are on RDS and at least one TSN channel, or a Sportsnet channel in the case of the game in Toronto.

I used to have nhl live or rogers gamecentre live before that. Something like that. I think they aren't doing that anymore. Is it sportsnet app where you get every game now?

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I used to have nhl live or rogers gamecentre live before that. Something like that. I think they aren't doing that anymore. Is it sportsnet app where you get every game now?

Isn’t sportsnet now.  It’s the same thing as NHL live, only through sportsnet, from my understanding.

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

Isn’t sportsnet now.  It’s the same thing as NHL live, only through sportsnet, from my understanding.

Yep, SN Now has the streaming package for the games.  NHL Centre Ice still exists on the TV side.

Dont hurt to hear this and looking forward to hear how he does in some of the 8 pre-season games over next couple weeks.

"With the caveat that it was just a scrimmage, and that not all of the players Juraj Slafkovsky went up against on Friday are destined for the NHL this season, there was no question he was the best on the ice. He stood out on every shift, offering a glimpse of the various skills that saw him chosen above Shane Wright and all the others by the Montreal Canadiens this past July."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-slafkovsky-guhle-impress-early-at-training-camp/

The other 1st rounder

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/09/23/camp-notes-filip-mesar-continues-to-impress-at-centre-montreal-canadiens/

If Habs season plays out as expected by most, is always this to look forward to in about 10 months.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/09/22/early-look-at-2023-nhl-draft-should-get-canadiens-fans-excited/

2 hours ago, DON said:

Dont hurt to hear this and looking forward to hear how he does in some of the 8 pre-season games over next couple weeks.

"With the caveat that it was just a scrimmage, and that not all of the players Juraj Slafkovsky went up against on Friday are destined for the NHL this season, there was no question he was the best on the ice. He stood out on every shift, offering a glimpse of the various skills that saw him chosen above Shane Wright and all the others by the Montreal Canadiens this past July."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-slafkovsky-guhle-impress-early-at-training-camp/

The other 1st rounder

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/09/23/camp-notes-filip-mesar-continues-to-impress-at-centre-montreal-canadiens/

If Habs season plays out as expected by most, is always this to look forward to in about 10 months.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/09/22/early-look-at-2023-nhl-draft-should-get-canadiens-fans-excited/

Slaf’s passing skills are elite and he has outstanding puck possession skills. He can skate through defenders while protecting the puck - with ease. 

I think he needs a sniper on his line and I think Suzuki is the perfect centre for him because Suzuki has a broad base of skills. He is outstanding at adapting to the play. 

Im pumped for Slafkovsky