2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Slaf’s passing skills are elite and he has outstanding puck possession skills. He can skate through defenders while protecting the puck - with ease. 

I think he needs a sniper on his line and I think Suzuki is the perfect centre for him because Suzuki has a broad base of skills. He is outstanding at adapting to the play. 

Im pumped for Slafkovsky 

I am pumped too, it's not easy to find such a combination of size and skill. He also has the right attitude, I am hopeful the Habs will be smart and develop him the right way.

I have too much PTSD relative to Habs prospects to be “pumped” by Slaf. We’ve basically had 30 years of hyped prospects turning into pumpkins, so I keep waiting for the anvil to fall out of the sky on my head as a fan. It would be more typical of our history for Wright to become a stud while Slaf tops out as a 2nd-liner, and for Nazar to become a feared offensive C while Dach flounders.

But I will say that, if Slaf turns out to be a home run, it will be so frigging sweet…

"Often times, players get the blunt end of the deal by fans and members of the media not for things they did or did not do, but rather because those people set unrealistic expectations for them."

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/09/24/setting-expectations-on-slafkovsky/

But "fan" is short for fanatic so unrealistic comes with territory i suppose.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have too much PTSD relative to Habs prospects to be “pumped” by Slaf. We’ve basically had 30 years of hyped prospects turning into pumpkins, so I keep waiting for the anvil to fall out of the sky on my head as a fan.

This. I'm very interested in what some of our prospects (Slafkovsky, Guhle, Hutson etc) can do in the NHL, but it's really too early for me to start counting those pumpkins ...

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

This. I'm very interested in what some of our prospects (Slafkovsky, Guhle, Hutson etc) can do in the NHL, but it's really too early for me to start counting those pumpkins ...

I believe it is too early. I am hoping Laval wins their championship and that that team graduates to the NHL next year like in 1983-85

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000271985.html

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think all of us are hopeful, optimistic, maybe even a bit excited to see how the young prospects do and whether they are ready to take the next step but I think we all know there are no guarantees. 

It will also be fun to follow the progress of guys like Beck and Mesar in junior as well as Huston in the college ranks.  I think Beck could have a break out year in the OHL

34 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... It will also be fun to follow the progress of guys like Beck and Mesar in junior as well as Huston in the college ranks.  I think Beck could have a break out year in the OHL

I may have to go to some 67s games this season.

"That’s not to say Juraj Slafkovsky did not merit the first-overall selection, but there’s no doubt Beck has been the Montreal Canadiens’ most impressive forward throughout training camp."

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/09/25/montreal-canadiens-training-camp-highlights-owen-beck-richard/

Am kinda like CC, dont wanna buy into prospect hype too much (given all the recent Hab busts in that range  of draft) and just kinda expect Mesar/Beck to not pan out so great. But folks seem to really like Beck's play so far anyways.

How will the Barbarian do in pre-season, he came out of nowhere last fall and hope coaches can keep his head screwed on and his play under bit more control in Laval this year.

"Few players have impressed more than Xhekaj throughout training camp."

Well…it’s often a mistake to make too much out of training camp anyway. The actual NHL talent is generally idling at 50% during those camps, and we’ve seen dozens of kids make a splash in camp over the years only to evaporate once the big boys actually start caring. Nevertheless, Beck’s impact is heartening; we’ll need C with upside in the organization, especially if Dach doesn’t work out.

3 hours ago, DON said:

"That’s not to say Juraj Slafkovsky did not merit the first-overall selection, but there’s no doubt Beck has been the Montreal Canadiens’ most impressive forward throughout training camp."

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/09/25/montreal-canadiens-training-camp-highlights-owen-beck-richard/

Am kinda like CC, dont wanna buy into prospect hype too much (given all the recent Hab busts in that range  of draft) and just kinda expect Mesar/Beck to not pan out so great. But folks seem to really like Beck's play so far anyways.

How will the Barbarian do in pre-season, he came out of nowhere last fall and hope coaches can keep his head screwed on and his play under bit more control in Laval this year.

"Few players have impressed more than Xhekaj throughout training camp."

I’ve been thinking that Xhekaj might be a short term replacement for Edmundson. 

Xhekaj needs refinement to his game and I worry that speedy forwards will burn him outside but if we can’t find a suitable waiver pick up he would provide savage physicality and a decent point shot. 

He isn’t just a meathead, he has some decent tools

40 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Xhekaj needs refinement to his game and I worry that speedy forwards will burn him outside but if we can’t find a suitable waiver pick up he would provide savage physicality and a decent point shot. 

you are kidding, right ?! 😲

54 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He certainly has decent tools and has been impressive at camp. It's just a matter of time before he cracks the Habs lineup, more likely next year but I can see him having some time with the Habs this year. He brings an element on the back end that no one else brings.  Just needs to be a little more disciplined which is something that can be learned. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well…it’s often a mistake to make too much out of training camp anyway ...

Absolutely ... a difference I see with Beck, and the like, is that there is no real possibility of/expectation for them playing in the NHL this season ... so any "excitement" over their performance is about their POTENTIAL to progress in their next season of junior. 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Why not?

I can’t see a world where HuGo spend assets to trade for a Dman and if nothing is available via waivers then Xhekaj could fill that Edmundson hole - short term. 

I could see an AAV for AAV trade of, for example, Hoffman or Armia for an equivalent veteran defenceman.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Absolutely ... a difference I see with Beck, and the like, is that there is no real possibility of/expectation for them playing in the NHL this season ... so any "excitement" over their performance is about their POTENTIAL to progress in their next season of junior. 

Agreed. How often have you seen an 18 year old come to camp with no pressure/expectations and play great. Then the team makes the big mistake of keeping the player up because they think he is the answer (ie. like KK).

I look forward to following Beck in junior this year. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed. How often have you seen an 18 year old come to camp with no pressure/expectations and play great. Then the team makes the big mistake of keeping the player up because they think he is the answer (ie. like KK).

I look forward to following Beck in junior this year. 

Mesar and Beck looks like the type of late first rounder that we would be excited about if still under Begevin/Timmins direction.

I look forward to their development under the new management, these two centers look much better than Poehling ever did

29 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Mesar and Beck looks like the type of late first rounder that we would be excited about if still under Begevin/Timmins direction.

I look forward to their development under the new management, these two centers look much better than Poehling ever did

Let's not be crazy...expecting them to do better than SURE FIRE TOP-6 C RYAN POEHLING!!!!! may be unreasonable...

🙄

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well…it’s often a mistake to make too much out of training camp anyway. The actual NHL talent is generally idling at 50% during those camps, and we’ve seen dozens of kids make a splash in camp over the years only to evaporate once the big boys actually start caring. Nevertheless, Beck’s impact is heartening; we’ll need C with upside in the organization, especially if Dach doesn’t work out.

Beck looks like a Danault type, so lets set our expectations at a reasonable level in terms of offence. His game will be more based on his value in playing the PK and against other team's top lines. 

I think Dach will be more offensive and not be in the role of playing against top lines.  Suzuki is gonna be playing against the other team's top six line. 

Beck will be more a replacement for Dvorak. 

And there is such a huge jump from being an OHL overager to NHL with no AHL time that expecting Xhekaj in the NHL to start the season seems very unreasonable. 

If we have a minor league defenceman filling in, its far more likely to be Corey Schueneman. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Beck looks like a Danault type, so lets set our expectations at a reasonable level in terms of offence. His game will be more based on his value in playing the PK and against other team's top lines.

Finding a credible Danault/Bergeron-style centre in the second would be super fantastic. I will hope for good things from Beck, but I'm not about to start holding my breath yet.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Finding a credible Danault/Bergeron-style centre in the second would be super fantastic. I will hope for good things from Beck, but I'm not about to start holding my breath yet.

Obviously I'm not guaranteeing he will make it. I'm just saying the type of player he looks like. 

The #62 is appropriate as he looks a lot like a Centre version of Arturri Lehkonen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Yes, I am confident the new management will do a much better job at developing, there is no rush here. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

... The #62 is appropriate as he looks a lot like a Centre version of Arturri Lehkonen. 

As long as he isn't a centre version of either of the other two former #62s ... Duncan Milroy (5 games, 0 goals, 1 assist) or Frédéric St. Denis (Habs: 17gm, 1g, 2a; NHL: 21gm, 1g, 3a).

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Let's not be crazy...expecting them to do better than SURE FIRE TOP-6 C RYAN POEHLING!!!!! may be unreasonable...

🙄

under-projecting and over-achieving .... :ph34r: