2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

And there is such a huge jump from being an OHL overager to NHL with no AHL time that expecting Xhekaj in the NHL to start the season seems very unreasonable. 

If we have a minor league defenceman filling in, its far more likely to be Corey Schueneman. 

I see Schueneman-Wideman as the bottom pair going into the season. I agree with you on "Schueny" (I think that's what they call him)

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There really isn't anyone of note from today's waivers (unless Arizona wants Johansson) but there will be some interesting players waived over the next couple of weeks.

Who do you see as a couple of the most "interesting" guys that may be waived?

I assume habs just looking for a RH d-men or a goalie, given the depth up front already?

3 hours ago, DON said:

Who do you see as a couple of the most "interesting" guys that may be waived?

I assume habs just looking for a RH d-men or a goalie, given the depth up front already?

I haven't had time to sit down and look at it too much yet (it's actually something I want to do for PHR) to see who might be available.  Leon Gawanke is the defenceman that I think could be an under the radar claim for someone.  I don't think there will be much for the goalie market and while I think there will be a forward or two the Habs might want to claim, they simply don't have the roster spot to do it.

18 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There really isn't anyone of note from today's waivers (unless Arizona wants Johansson) but there will be some interesting players waived over the next couple of weeks.

Turns out Arizona wanted Johansson.  I know they need a goalie but there would have been better options had they waited.

Habs cut 23 players ... IMO no surprises:

Under NHL contract, they will be loaned to the Laval Rocket:

Lucas Condotta, Gianni Fairbrother, Cam Hillis, Jan Mysak and Joël Teasdale

Training camp try-out with the Rocket:

Pierrick Dubé, John Parker-Jones, Miguël Tourigny and William Trudeau

Released from Canadiens training camp, but will join Laval Rocket training camp:

Peter Abbandonato, Anthony Beauregard, Gabriel Bourque, Santino Centorame, Tory Dello, Philippe Desrosiers, Ryan Francis, Olivier Galipeau, Alex Green, Danick Martel, Émile Poirier, Brennan Saulnier, Brett Stapley and Joe Vrbetic.

37 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Habs cut 23 players ... IMO no surprises:

Under NHL contract, they will be loaned to the Laval Rocket:

Lucas Condotta, Gianni Fairbrother, Cam Hillis, Jan Mysak and Joël Teasdale

Training camp try-out with the Rocket:

Pierrick Dubé, John Parker-Jones, Miguël Tourigny and William Trudeau

Released from Canadiens training camp, but will join Laval Rocket training camp:

Peter Abbandonato, Anthony Beauregard, Gabriel Bourque, Santino Centorame, Tory Dello, Philippe Desrosiers, Ryan Francis, Olivier Galipeau, Alex Green, Danick Martel, Émile Poirier, Brennan Saulnier, Brett Stapley and Joe Vrbetic.

I hope Trudeau lands in Laval. I think there is a chance that he turns into a first pairing Dman. Long way to go for sure but I hope he keeps getting better. 

Laval should have a solid team especially if Slafkovsky and Mesar play there as well. 

55 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I hope Trudeau lands in Laval. I think there is a chance that he turns into a first pairing Dman. Long way to go for sure but I hope he keeps getting better. 

Laval should have a solid team especially if Slafkovsky and Mesar play there as well. 

I am assuming Guhle will be in Montreal ... so Laval has veterans Leskinen, Dello and Bowey ... then youngsters  Norlinder, Fairbrother, and Xhekaj ... and possibly both Baron and Harris ... in addition, John Parker-Jones has looked decent in camp ... that is 8/9 defencemen ... it may just be too crowded ... so then the choice for Trudeau may be Trois Rivieres or the QMJHL.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I hope Trudeau lands in Laval. I think there is a chance that he turns into a first pairing Dman.

You mean in Laval i hope?

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I am assuming Guhle will be in Montreal ... so Laval has veterans Leskinen, Dello and Bowey ... then youngsters  Norlinder, Fairbrother, and Xhekaj ... and possibly both Baron and Harris ... in addition, John Parker-Jones has looked decent in camp ... that is 8/9 defencemen ... it may just be too crowded ... so then the choice for Trudeau may be Trois Rivieres or the QMJHL.

Holy hell there is no room there. 

That’s too bad

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

They'll end up sending some players down to TR -- or back to junior.

That was my point on Trudeau ... may have some sort of rotation between TR top pairing and Laval 3rd pairing

young-d, bunch 1st rounders

https://theathletic.com/3644216/2022/09/30/nhl-preseason-prospects/

Pronman had 10 or 12 kids he highlighted and these are 2.

"Kaiden Guhle, LHD, Montreal

When I’ve watched Guhle throughout the camp process, he just looks like a pro. His game is steady and efficient and played at a pro pace. He closes on checks with speed and physicality and is able to make simple, efficient transitions up ice. His offense will never be all that great in the NHL, but if he can make solid first passes out of the zone and skate pucks out of trouble he’s going to be a good top four defenseman — and could be so in the near future.

Arber Xhekaj, LHD, Montreal

I’ll admit when I watched Xhekaj in junior I didn’t see a legit prospect. I just saw a dime-a-dozen big, physical defenseman who didn’t have the skating and puck game to be a real NHL player. Throughout the camp process for Montreal it’s become clear that opinion was off. His skating is better than I thought it was and it looks like for a big man he can get around fine. You combine that with his high-end compete and Xhekaj looks like a potential legit third pair defenseman in the NHL with a chance at more. I’m still not sold on the puck game enough for him, but he’s shown enough flashes in that area to be intriguing."

46 minutes ago, DON said:

Another "The Athletic" write ups, preview ranking Habs 31st.

74pts seems reasonable prediction.

https://theathletic.com/3604859/2022/09/19/montreal-canadiens-2022-23-season-preview/

Screen-Shot-2022-09-18-at-1.49.35-PM.png

So according to this, Mike Matheson and Brendan Gallagher are our best players, and Caufield is better than Suzuki, who is an ‘average player?’ Probably there is something in the way this metric is being used that I’m missing, but at face value that’s messed up. The overall team assessment seems accurate, however.

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Injuries are what I worry about with Allen at this stage. But we need a patch up job at G until we can develop Price’s successor, so this move makes sense.

1 hour ago, DON said:

https://theathletic.com/3604859/2022/09/19/montreal-canadiens-2022-23-season-preview/

Screen-Shot-2022-09-18-at-1.49.35-PM.png

It seems odd that our third line is the best and the fourth line is better than our first!

Not sure what metrics were used

1 hour ago, DON said:

Dom's model really doesn't handle the Ducharme/St-Louis effect very well, and he admits as much. This results in poor rankings for a lot of players, and overall a lower projection than might otherwise be. To quote:

One issue arises with the projections however and that’s coaching effects. Dominique Ducharme may have been the coach during the team’s run to the final, but his work before and after was abysmal. Leading up to the 2021 playoffs, Montreal was only 15-16-7 under Ducharme with an even steeper nosedive in 2021-22 where the team won just eight of 45 games with Ducharme as coach.

Seeing what Martin St. Louis was able to do immediately after Ducharme’s dismissal suggests the coach played a big role in not getting the most out of the roster. That’s something that’s extremely difficult for a model to reflect and may mean this year’s projection is overly pessimistic – even with the use of priors dating back to 2019-20.

The right-shot defenceman I've been saying to watch out for as a possible waiver claim (Leon Gawanke) is on waivers today.  10-26-36 in 65 AHL games last season while averaging over 21 minutes a game including >2 minutes per night on both the PP and PK.  6'1, 198 righty that's 23 years old.

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The right-shot defenceman I've been saying to watch out for as a possible waiver claim (Leon Gawanke) is on waivers today.  10-26-36 in 65 AHL games last season while averaging over 21 minutes a game including >2 minutes per night on both the PP and PK.  6'1, 198 righty that's 23 years old.

The limited scouting stuff that I read says that he has raw offensive talent and a heavy shot. 

Jets fans think he is NHL ready 

Im curious to see if we put a claim in

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I just saw that and i was going to post it. 
could he play second line minutes? Or is that too much to ask?

I do not see Wideman playing on the second pair. Unless the Habs are planning to tank :ph34r: