2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

39 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The limited scouting stuff that I read says that he has raw offensive talent and a heavy shot. 

Jets fans think he is NHL ready 

Im curious to see if we put a claim in

mid I am not mistaken Habs have first dibs on waivers until early in the season 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I just saw that and i was going to post it. 
could he play second line minutes? Or is that too much to ask?

I do not see Wideman playing on the second pair. Unless the Habs are planning to tank :ph34r:

Without him ever playing in the NHL, I'd say yes, it's too much to ask that he'd jump into a top-four role right away. 

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

mid I am not mistaken Habs have first dibs on waivers until early in the season 

Yep, until November 1st.  Then it's reverse standings.

• Upvote 1

How long do Habs have to claim him?

He would have to play with Habs and not to Laval i think.

But hasnt played in NHL yet, so is he really a fit? A 23 yr old, playing 7th d and sitting in press box often.

Louis Dominique has had an up & down career ... $775K for this season and next ... 5 yrs older than Montembeault but $225K less on the cap and better career stats ... Sam is fully buriable ... worth a claim?

Michael Hutchinson a couple of years even older ... $25K cheaper ... pending UFA ... another option?

EDIT: Conflicted as I like Montembeault as a contributor to the Be Bad for Bedard project

1 hour ago, DON said:

But hasnt played in NHL yet, so is he really a fit? A 23 yr old, playing 7th d and sitting in press box often.

when you think of Pitlick it is tempting. Specially with the low expectation for the Habs; but managing his time by playing mostly the top-3 and totating Guhle in and out to play with Edmundson: flipping Edmundson lef/right depending if he is paired with Guhle or Gawanke.

(Or playing Guhle-Savard, Matheson-Gawanke while Edmundson is out)

I much rather play a waiver pick up this season than Barron; I want Barron to develop properly

Edited by alfredoh2009
typo

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I much rather play a waiver pick up this season than Barron; I want Barron to develop properly

Agreed

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

when you think of Pitlick it is tempting. Specially with the low expectation for the Habs; but managing his time by playing mostly the top-3 and totating Guhle in and out to play with Edmundson: flipping Edmundson lef/right depending if he is paired with Guhle or Gawanke.

(Or playing Guhle-Savard, Matheson-Gawanke while Edmundson is out)

I much rather play a waiver pick up this season than Barron; I want Barron to develop properly

Agree on Barron - he needs some more time

1 hour ago, DON said:

24 hours

yes

It all depends if you think he will be the best RD avaiable on waivers, or if you want to wait for someone else. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

It all depends if you think he will be the best RD avaiable on waivers, or if you want to wait for someone else. 

I could see a scenario where they want to claim a second one if they decide they're better off with most of their rookies starting in Laval.  A claim of a d-man over the next couple of days (whether it's Gawanke or someone that goes on waivers tomorrow) means they could get him in a couple of preseason games to evaluate him and then if it doesn't go well, they know that they'll want to bring someone else in closer to the start of the year.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

I could see a scenario where they want to claim a second one if they decide they're better off with most of their rookies starting in Laval.  A claim of a d-man over the next couple of days (whether it's Gawanke or someone that goes on waivers tomorrow) means they could get him in a couple of preseason games to evaluate him and then if it doesn't go well, they know that they'll want to bring someone else in closer to the start of the year.

Sure, they seem to have a bit of room on the 50... 43 on Cap Friendly, which is likely to be 44 with Slafkovsky, and becomes 45 if Mesar goes to Lava instead of Kitchener., so you can make two claims. 

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No takers on yesterday's waivers which surprises me a bit.

Maybe they are expecting a bigger fish coming?

Maybe they have a deal in principle that includes a Dman but waiting to move pieces?

Maybe HuGo thinks our RD are already better than any waiver guy

Alex Petrovic as 7th D? Is he worse than Wideman? Or better defensively?

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Alex Petrovic as 7th D? Is he worse than Wideman? Or better defensively?

He hasn't played an NHL game since 18/19 ... so I am guessing the Habs pass.

Corey Pronman highlights some of the stronger players that are likely to hit waivers. No RHD to be seen on his list, but could one of these LHD still make sense?

• Josh Mahura (LAK)
  • Connor Mackey (CGY)
  • Juuso Valimaki (CGY)
  • Pierre-Olivier Joseph (PIT)
  • Alexander Alexeyev (WSH)

The last three are all first-round picks from 2017 or 2018, not that it matters much at this point any more.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Corey Pronman highlights some of the stronger players that are likely to hit waivers. No RHD to be seen on his list, but could one of these LHD still make sense?

• Josh Mahura (LAK)
  • Connor Mackey (CGY)
  • Juuso Valimaki (CGY)

The last three are all first-round picks from 2017 or 2018, not that it matters much at this point any more.

Pronman has nothing on me :ph34r:

:spamafote:For whateve is worth Here is my list: :spamafote:

CGY: Stone or Meloche

CAR: Coghlan (longshot at Bear)

LAK: Walker

VAN: Poolman

BOS: Strallman or Carrick

:spamafote::spamafote:

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Pronman has nothing on me :ph34r:

:spamafote:For whateve is worth Here is my list: :spamafote:

CGY: Stone or Meloche

CAR: Coghlan (longshot at Bear)

LAK: Walker

VAN: Poolman

BOS: Strallman or Carrick

:spamafote::spamafote:

Stone's on a PTO so he could be signed at any time.  That said, I think he's staying with Calgary no matter what.  Meloche is a possibility but they might opt to waive Valimaki and save a bit more.

Coghlan 100% won't be waived and neither will Bear.  Gardiner's going back to LTIR and they don't need to clear cap space.

Walker is doubtful to be waived and even if he was, the Habs couldn't afford him anyway.

Poolman has a terrible contract and missed most of last year with concussion trouble which might keep him out for the start of this season.  The Habs can't afford him but realistically, even if they could, why would they want him?  $2.5 million for a 6/7 defenceman is not ideal.

Stralman is another one that theoretically the Habs could have signed if they wanted as his PTO was just done last week.  There isn't mutual interest there.  Carrick is a journeyman minor leaguer so I'm not sure why the Habs would want him.

It's a pretty thin waiver market for right-shot players so the Habs are going to be in tough to get someone that's useful and fits the way they want to play.  

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

• Josh Mahura (LAK)
  • Connor Mackey (CGY)
  • Juuso Valimaki (CGY)

If they're capable of playing on the right-hand side, sure.  I think Mahura has a bit in the past, not sure about the others.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Stone's on a PTO so he could be signed at any time.  That said, I think he's staying with Calgary no matter what.  Meloche is a possibility but they might opt to waive Valimaki and save a bit more.

Coghlan 100% won't be waived and neither will Bear.  Gardiner's going back to LTIR and they don't need to clear cap space.

Walker is doubtful to be waived and even if he was, the Habs couldn't afford him anyway.

Poolman has a terrible contract and missed most of last year with concussion trouble which might keep him out for the start of this season.  The Habs can't afford him but realistically, even if they could, why would they want him?  $2.5 million for a 6/7 defenceman is not ideal.

Stralman is another one that theoretically the Habs could have signed if they wanted as his PTO was just done last week.  There isn't mutual interest there.  Carrick is a journeyman minor leaguer so I'm not sure why the Habs would want him.

It's a pretty thin waiver market for right-shot players so the Habs are going to be in tough to get someone that's useful and fits the way they want to play.  

yoda star wars

A dumper dive activity that was

• Upvote 1

Nothing exciting yet

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Nothing exciting yet

CBJ's Baytreuther could play RD, but he is a fringe NHLer at best...

https://thehockeywriters.com/blue-jackets-at-risk-losing-nhl-role-2022-training-camp/

For what VERY LITTLE it is undoubtedly worth ... not certain what value the puck and vehicle are supposed to lend to the rumour.