2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Since his name comes up periodically ...

Filosa is a host/journalist on sports radio 98.5 in Montreal

3 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I'm wondering if there is any potential cap advantage to delaying the new contracts for Dach and Primeau until just after the season begins?  Maybe some cap experts know.

I am thinking that until Price fails his physical he is only presumed to go on LTIR which OBVIOUSLY has a significant impact on available cap space ... but I believe the Habs will want to be as close to the cap ceiling (excluding Price's AAV) when the season starts in order to maximize the cap "benefit" of Price being on LTIR.

It will also be interesting to see whether Paul Byron will be able to play ... he missed 55 games last season, including the final 5 (and only played 4:41 in that 6th to last game) ... when he left that game he went straight to the locker room:

5 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I'm wondering if there is any potential cap advantage to delaying the new contracts for Dach and Primeau until just after the season begins?  Maybe some cap experts know.

There might be with Dach if his deal coupled with all the offseason cap rules (some extra stuff counts against the 10% overage threshold) would put them over the 10% threshold and force early offseason LTIR placement.  Primeau's charge against the offseason cap would be pretty minimal (NHL cap hit x ratio of NHL/total days last year) so I can't see that being a holdup unless that little amount puts them over.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There might be with Dach if his deal coupled with all the offseason cap rules (some extra stuff counts against the 10% overage threshold) would put them over the 10% threshold and force early offseason LTIR placement.  Primeau's charge against the offseason cap would be pretty minimal (NHL cap hit x ratio of NHL/total days last year) so I can't see that being a holdup unless that little amount puts them over.

Thanks - its good to hear from experts.  I may be seeing conspiracy theories but it seems like they have agreed with Dach on the deal but that they are waiting for some reason.

Now that I have posted this they will probably announce Dach's deal tomorrow.

11 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

... Now that I have posted this they will probably announce Dach's deal tomorrow.

11 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Thanks - its good to hear from experts.  I may be seeing conspiracy theories but it seems like they have agreed with Dach on the deal but that they are waiting for some reason.

Now that I have posted this they will probably announce Dach's deal tomorrow.

You sure called it!

On 9/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, Habsfan89 said:

Man was looking at cap friendly and their must be like  over 10 teams that are over the cap. Never seen anything like this before. A lot of trades to come before the start of the season for sure. 

On 9/3/2022 at 1:12 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Lots of LTIR screwery going on too. 

I kinda wish capfriendly would just have a *assuming folks are on ltir* tab. Instead of having to go into armchair gm and move everything around.

Ottawa has signed Tim Stutzle to a long term deal. I wonder if the Habs are working on one for Cole Caulfield or are they waiting for more evidence that the last half of last season wasn't a fluke. Waiting could get more expensive or not. I don't think it was a fluke and would like to see him locked up similar to what Nick got. 

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Ottawa has signed Tim Stutzle to a long term deal. I wonder if the Habs are working on one for Cole Caulfield or are they waiting for more evidence that the last half of last season wasn't a fluke. Waiting could get more expensive or not. I don't think it was a fluke and would like to see him locked up similar to what Nick got. 

The unknown is what does Caufield think is a the fair number ... THUS FAR, CC's G/82Gms are higher 28.75 versus TS's 17.86 ... although TS' point production is slightly higher ... 54 vs 51

Tortorella has serious concerns about the "locker room" he has inherited ... essentially throwing Vigneault and Therrien under the bus for the culture they left behind ... a great tactical move from a coaching career perspective ... look at the mess I have to work with.

27 had been his number with the TBL and Halifax Mooseheads

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm guessing that he's giving the 92 to someone else.

I think it's just him finally getting a chance to get his old number back.  Galchenyuk had it first, then it went to Alzner, their prized UFA signing that year.  Once Alzner was buried never to return midseason (when players rarely change numbers), then Romanov signed late in the year and took the number.  The bigger question for me is what took so long for that change to be made.  92 isn't a common number and it'd be surprising to see an established player want it; it probably goes back to being a training camp number.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think it's just him finally getting a chance to get his old number back.  Galchenyuk had it first, then it went to Alzner, their prized UFA signing that year.  Once Alzner was buried never to return midseason (when players rarely change numbers), then Romanov signed late in the year and took the number.  The bigger question for me is what took so long for that change to be made.  92 isn't a common number and it'd be surprising to see an established player want it; it probably goes back to being a training camp number.

Exactly ... 27 was his number in TB

image.png

and with the Halifax Mooseheads

image.png

As you say, this was the first time the number was truly "free" for him to claim ... hopefully it does mark a "new start" for him.

For those with access to RDS, and sufficient French to follow, Hughes will be on Le 5 a 7 at 5:00 pm

EDIT: In theory anyway .... 5:20 and no Hughes ... trade in the works?  ... stuck in a sand trap?   FAKE NEWS?

Not a rumour or a proposal, so guess it fits best here

I thought Lundkvist had more value than most but I didn't see them getting a first plus another pick for him.  I also didn't have Dallas on the radar as a landing spot for him.  Good move for the Rangers who still extracted full value despite the trade request.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I thought Lundkvist had more value than most but I didn't see them getting a first plus another pick for him.  I also didn't have Dallas on the radar as a landing spot for him.  Good move for the Rangers who still extracted full value despite the trade request.

The Rangers certainly got full value, Dallas must be really high on him as 2023 is supposed to be a great draft year. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Rangers certainly got full value, Dallas must be really high on him as 2023 is supposed to be a great draft year. 

Yeah. I think they overpaid. But than, if they are confident they are a playoff team, but have to make a move to improve those odds, it won’t hurt as much if they aren’t giving a lottery pick, like Montreal potentially would.