2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

On 10/3/2022 at 12:44 PM, dlbalr said:

[...]

Walker is doubtful to be waived and even if he was, the Habs couldn't afford him anyway.

[...]

Just following up on this story, the Habs could trade Byron or unload Armia (LAK i smissing right shooting forwards) for Walker, retains some salary...

https://lakingsinsider.com/2022/10/01/day-10-practice-notes-petersen-byfield-updates-durzi-talks-contract-walker-on-the-left/

"With a large group of up and coming players on the right side, led by the emergence of Durzi last season and closely followed by Jordan Spence and Brandt Clarke, the Kings found themselves with a great problem to have as Sean Walker and Drew Doughty returned from injury."

Laval will have a better team this year, i assume?.

I hope Mesar plays in OHL.

"The Canadiens sent seven players to the Laval Rocket earlier Tuesday. First-round draft choice Filip Mesar, Alex Belzile, Anthony Richard, Mitchell Stephens, Xavier Simoneau and defenceman Mattias Norlinder were sent to the AHL team along with goaltender Kevin Poulin. Belzile, Stephens and Richard will have to clear waivers before joining the Rocket."

57 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Just following up on this story, the Habs could trade Byron or unload Armia (LAK i smissing right shooting forwards) for Walker, retains some salary...

https://lakingsinsider.com/2022/10/01/day-10-practice-notes-petersen-byfield-updates-durzi-talks-contract-walker-on-the-left/

"With a large group of up and coming players on the right side, led by the emergence of Durzi last season and closely followed by Jordan Spence and Brandt Clarke, the Kings found themselves with a great problem to have as Sean Walker and Drew Doughty returned from injury."

Right now I doubt the Habs can get anything worthwhile for Byron (has he even stepped onto the ice yet?) or Armia or Drouin or Hoffman or Dadonov ... and by all accounts Walker is "worthwhile" ... in fact, I expect the Habs would have to either "pay" to move them or take back an equally bad contract ... NOT to say that working out a trade for Wlaker would be a bad idea.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Right now I doubt the Habs can get anything worthwhile for Byron (has he even stepped onto the ice yet?) or Armia or Drouin or Hoffman or Dadonov ... and by all accounts Walker is "worthwhile" ... in fact, I expect the Habs would have to either "pay" to move them or take back an equally bad contract ... NOT to say that working out a trade for Wlaker would be a bad idea.

:nuts::P:nuts::P:nuts::P:nuts::P

WhAt SaY yOu? mE nO eNgLiSh WoRd SaY LiKe YoU?

:nuts::P:nuts::P:nuts::P:nuts::P

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

LA can't take on money right now and the Habs aren't going to want to retain on Armia or Byron (why retain on a deal that's heading for LTIR?).  Plus, I'm pretty sure their intention is to keep him.  I know you want him on the Habs but I don't think it's happening.

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

LA can't take on money right now and the Habs aren't going to want to retain on Armia or Byron (why retain on a deal that's heading for LTIR?).  Plus, I'm pretty sure their intention is to keep him.  I know you want him on the Habs but I don't think it's happening.

🎣 🐟 🐠 🐡

fishing for RDs, and honestly: I am not trolling

looking at this during breaks helps me get off my mind from work for a few minutes

2019 NHL Draft ... 14th overall ... thank you Chuck Fletcher ... if per chance you don't know why <click here>

Juulsen cleared waivers

On 10/4/2022 at 9:38 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hopefully they are discussing bringing Roy in as a team ambassador. With absolutely nothing to do with hockey operations.

"Apparently" even less than that ... Patrick was in Brossard to have dinner with his son and stopped by to say hello to Hughes.

Can the big kid focus and keep developing in Laval this fall?

Unique prospect, i would guess Struble might be only other Hab one even similar.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/10/7/23392074/arber-xhekaj-is-carving-a-path-to-the-nhl-defenceman-montreal-canadiens-prospect-rookie

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Can the big kid focus and keep developing in Laval this fall?

Unique prospect, i would guess Struble might be only other Hab one even similar.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/10/7/23392074/arber-xhekaj-is-carving-a-path-to-the-nhl-defenceman-montreal-canadiens-prospect-rookie

Given the obstacles he has overcome thus far I doubt "focus" will be the challenge ... improved agility and quickness seems likely to be the biggest challenge, or increasing the speed at which he reads the play and reacts to minimize any such deficiencies.

Flyer fan comments on their teams outlook. Made me chuckle.:D

https://theathletic.com/3666578/2022/10/07/nhl-hope-o-meter/

• Be serious.

• I have never been less optimistic for any team across any sport ever.

• I don’t have all day to write a novel about all of the reasons why I’m dreading this season, but a lot of them are subheadings of the broader topic “Chuck Fletcher has destroyed this franchise and is somehow still on their payroll.”

• I’d be more hopeful if I was watching a planet-killer asteroid hurtling towards me.

• I hate the Flyers and the Flyers hate me.

• I’m expecting an arch reading “Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here” being installed in front of the Wells Fargo Center this season.

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Given the obstacles he has overcome thus far I doubt "focus" will be the challenge ...

Chasing the big hit, retaliating, dumb penalties/suspensions and not focusing on his defensive play between the whistles, is what i meant.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Chasing the big hit, retaliating, dumb penalties/suspensions and not focusing on his defensive play between the whistles, is what i meant.

Then agreed

Of the players on waivers today (until 2 ET), Winnipeg's Johnny Kovacevic is one to keep an eye on.  He's 25 but is starting a three-year, minimum-salary deal and happens to be a 6'5 right-shot d-man (though not overly physical).  30 points in 62 AHL games last season and was second to Ville Heinola in ATOI with Manitoba.  Seems like the type of contract teams might like to claim at the very least.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Of the players on waivers today (until 2 ET), Winnipeg's Johnny Kovacevic is one to keep an eye on.  He's 25 but is starting a three-year, minimum-salary deal and happens to be a 6'5 right-shot d-man (though not overly physical).  30 points in 62 AHL games last season and was second to Ville Heinola in ATOI with Manitoba.  Seems like the type of contract teams might like to claim at the very least.

You called that one.

The tone is clearly phishing for clicks ...

... at least he didn't say: "He's no Owen Beck"

On 10/8/2022 at 6:27 AM, DON said:

Flyer fan comments on their teams outlook. Made me chuckle.:D

https://theathletic.com/3666578/2022/10/07/nhl-hope-o-meter/

• Be serious.

• I have never been less optimistic for any team across any sport ever.

• I don’t have all day to write a novel about all of the reasons why I’m dreading this season, but a lot of them are subheadings of the broader topic “Chuck Fletcher has destroyed this franchise and is somehow still on their payroll.”

• I’d be more hopeful if I was watching a planet-killer asteroid hurtling towards me.

• I hate the Flyers and the Flyers hate me.

• I’m expecting an arch reading “Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here” being installed in front of the Wells Fargo Center this season.

Haha, that is quality stuff. I’ve been there, know how they feel. I can also remember many past years when the Flyers were a significant Habs’ rival (Hextall, anyone?) and have enough lingering animus to savour their misery.

21 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I’ve said this before: Brian for GM!!

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What's interesting is that Seattle's GM has already come out and said that he expects Wright to be up for the full season.  Not a 'for sure, he's staying' pledge but pretty close.

I continue to worry that we will regret passing on Wright. It’s much too soon to tell, but his preseason reviews suggest a player whose strengths came as reported: a complete, mature, intelligent game. Will he become more than a Bo Horvat, is the question.

52 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Haha, that is quality stuff. I’ve been there, know how they feel. I can also remember many past years when the Flyers were a significant Habs’ rival (Hextall, anyone?) and have enough lingering animus to savour their misery.

I’ve said this before: Brian for GM!!

I continue to worry that we will regret passing on Wright. It’s much too soon to tell, but his preseason reviews suggest a player whose strengths came as reported: a complete, mature, intelligent game. Will he become more than a Bo Horvat, is the question.

Owen Beck

😉

The Habs passed on Juuso Valimaki and Arizona (who has second priority) scooped him up.  Now, let's see who's all on waivers today - this will be a big list (see below, anyone below Wolanin is on there today).  From what's out there right now, it happens to feature the goaltender I've been musing about in Connor Ingram who would be a worthwhile gamble for the Habs.

FepZ2g8WIAACMZA?format=jpg

56 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... Now, let's see who's all on waivers today ... it happens to feature the goaltender I've been musing about in Connor Ingram who would be a worthwhile gamble for the Habs ...

Some interesting/recognizable names (but not logical to claim)

Mike Reilly ... I believe he has played some right-side ... but at $3M for this season and next he is not likely a HuGo target.

Will Butcher is the wrong "hand" ... had a promising rookie season but has since played his way off NJD, Buffalo and now Dallas.

Jarred Tinordi and Victor Mete ... NOT suggesting either be claimed, just making note.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs passed on Juuso Valimaki and Arizona (who has second priority) scooped him up.  Now, let's see who's all on waivers today - this will be a big list (see below, anyone below Wolanin is on there today).  From what's out there right now, it happens to feature the goaltender I've been musing about in Connor Ingram who would be a worthwhile gamble for the Habs.

FepZ2g8WIAACMZA?format=jpg

The only other goalie I recognized from the list was Olkinuora, and then only because he was the world championship MVP. Can he adapt to the NHL? Don't know. All his experience is in Liiga and KHL. Decent results but very different leagues.

Do you see Ingram as a stop-gap or as a longer-term prospect? Or both? He has close to 100 games of AHL (with a slightly better save % than Primeau) but only a handful of NHL games.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Do you see Ingram as a stop-gap or as a longer-term prospect? Or both? He has close to 100 games of AHL (with a slightly better save % than Primeau) but only a handful of NHL games.

I think Ingram could be another Primeau-type prospect.  He could be a capable #2 or be a fringe guy.  Either way, his track record is a lot better than Montembeault who was a fringe guy in the minors.  He also has the cheapest cap hit in the league which could come in handy if the Habs are going to be tap-dancing around their revised cap ceiling.