2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

31 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This article is a head shaker.  I posted it as some of you might find it amusing.  Especially the last sentence of the article. 

https://editorinleaf.com/2022/07/13/toronto-maple-leafs-ilya-samsonov/

I've never visited that site, but their accounts on twitter regularly show that level of extreme homerism. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This article is a head shaker.  I posted it as some of you might find it amusing.  Especially the last sentence of the article. 

https://editorinleaf.com/2022/07/13/toronto-maple-leafs-ilya-samsonov/

Should we be concerned that you're reading a Toronto fan site?

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That being said, I was listening to Kevin Woodley yesterday, and he thinks these were good moves by the Leafs (and he is equally skeptical about Campbell flourishing in EDM). He had a technical analysis of Murray's development or lack thereof and is cautiously optimistic that Murray can progress under TO's more stable and professional goalie coaching structures. By contrast, Campbell's underlying numbers suggest a guy who will get lit up under Edmonton's dodgier defensive structure.

One thing I didn't realize until yesterday, Murray's offseason goalie coach works for the Leafs.  Clearly, the thought is that working with him full-time will help solve the consistency issues.  I do think he'll be better than what he was with Ottawa.  The big question is whether or not it'll be a step up on Campbell's performance the last couple of years.

I just think if the leafs are gonna spend nearly 5 million on a goalie they should have just found a way to dump justin holl or alex kerfoot or some other 2-3 million contract and gone all in to get a real goalie and not someone who is a maybe.

Overpay Kuemper or find a way to trade for Hellebuyck or some other good goalie.  Go all in.

The roster up front is too good to gamble with the goalies.

Just now, Commandant said:

I just think if the leafs are gonna spend nearly 5 million on a goalie they should have just found a way to dump justin holl or alex kerfoot or some other 2-3 million contract and gone all in to get a real goalie and not someone who is a maybe.

Overpay Kuemper or find a way to trade for Hellebuyck or some other good goalie.  Go all in.

The roster up front is too good to gamble with the goalies.

Kuemper isn't without his risks as well (injury-prone) and it's not as if there were other true number ones available.  What could Toronto possibly have to get Hellebuyck?  They don't have a great prospect pool, they're allergic to draft picks, and didn't have a true starter to send back so I'm not sure why Winnipeg would even consider moving him.  Gibson's agent made a point of saying he has no interest in playing in Toronto (that can be extended to any Canadian team) and I can't think of anyone else that's better that even could be available.  Well, aside from Bobrovsky whose contract is something they can't even come close to fitting in.

To be honest, I don't think there was a viable good solution for Toronto between the pipes.

Winnipeg looks to be heading for a rebuild.  They should cash in on Helle while they can.

2.firsts

Robertson

Niemela.

Go all in and get a legit guy.

Gibson isnt who he used to be.

Talbot is better than Murray and could have been had for a young backup.  Kallgren for Talbot? Even if you add a sweetner probably gets that done.

I dont know, but to me when you have that roster, putting Matt Murray and Ilya Samsonov as the goalies seems weak.

Retweeted by Friedman

Alzner next?

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Should we be concerned that you're reading a Toronto fan site?

Nope. LOL  Sometimes I read other teams fan forums to see what they are thinking. I never want to see the Leafs win a Stanley Cup. Ever.  A lot of their posters take joy out of the Habs not doing well.  Our time will come around again. 

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Winnipeg looks to be heading for a rebuild.  They should cash in on Helle while they can.

2.firsts

Robertson

Niemela.

Go all in and get a legit guy.

Gibson isnt who he used to be.

Talbot is better than Murray and could have been had for a young backup.  Kallgren for Talbot? Even if you add a sweetner probably gets that done.

I dont know, but to me when you have that roster, putting Matt Murray and Ilya Samsonov as the goalies seems weak.

Winnipeg should rebuild and they have some very good players worth big returns. 

Except PLD of course. What team is going to pay big for a centre that isn’t going to resign? 

If the Jets do try and win now instead of rebuild the Habs might be able to offload some salary. 

Perhaps a PLD trade is possible right now. Maybe Dvorak, Gallagher plus?

Jets must realize that no team is giving up big assets for PLD. Maybe we can take advantage?

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Except PLD of course. What team is going to pay big for a centre that isn’t going to resign? 

If the Jets do try and win now instead of rebuild the Habs might be able to offload some salary. 

Jets must realize that no team is giving up big assets for PLD. Maybe we can take advantage?

Gallagher is not going anywhere. Nobody wants that contract.   Dubois won't come cheap.  Any deal for Dubois would be contingent on him signing a new contract. 

I agree Winnipeg should rebuild as I don't see them being a serious contender in the near future. 

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Cap wise, a PLD trade isn’t possible without moving Gallagher as you’ve suggested. I just can’t see them wanting to do that. Any trade for PLD would have to include a 2023 1st pick. Which I wouldn’t want to do.

the other two concerns I’d have are:

1) I think PLD will want more than $7-8M on a long term deal

2) our D ia still shit, and even if all our prospects work out to fill the holes, we don’t have much money left to rebuild the D.

40 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Cap wise, a PLD trade isn’t possible without moving Gallagher as you’ve suggested. I just can’t see them wanting to do that. Any trade for PLD would have to include a 2023 1st pick. Which I wouldn’t want to do.

the other two concerns I’d have are:

1) I think PLD will want more than $7-8M on a long term deal

2) our D ia still shit, and even if all our prospects work out to fill the holes, we don’t have much money left to rebuild the D.

What team is going to offer a big return for PLD if they know that he won’t sign long term?

If Jets want a big haul then we wait two years and sign him for free. 

My suggestion is really about taking advantage of the Jets because they are in a no win situation with PLD. 

Maybe we can offload some $? Maybe my idea is a pipe dream?

45 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Gallagher is not going anywhere. Nobody wants that contract.   Dubois won't come cheap.  Any deal for Dubois would be contingent on him signing a new contract. 

I agree Winnipeg should rebuild as I don't see them being a serious contender in the near future. 

He has made it very clear that he wants to be a Canadien. 

What team is giving up big assets him? Every GM knows that the Jets are screwed. 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What team is going to offer a big return for PLD if they know that he won’t sign long term?

If Jets want a big haul then we wait two years and sign him for free. 

My suggestion is really about taking advantage of the Jets because they are in a no win situation with PLD. 

Maybe we can offload some $? Maybe my idea is a pipe dream?

We know Dubois won't sign long-term in Winnipeg.  We don't know if that's just a play to get out of Winnipeg though.  He might want to play in Montreal but I don't think his camp is telling the Jets that no matter what, he's going to Montreal in two years.  That seems to be the sentiment but that's not what's actually being reported.

There are other teams interested in him as Dubois for two years is still worth a fair bit.  If someone goes and gets him and Dubois likes it there, I think he'd consider an extension so this isn't a case of Winnipeg taking whatever they can get.  Besides, they just went and got a veteran coach and are still trying to win now.  If the options are take an underwhelming return from Montreal and start a rebuild or keep the core together and try to win, the Jets are taking Door #2.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

We know Dubois won't sign long-term in Winnipeg.  We don't know if that's just a play to get out of Winnipeg though.  He might want to play in Montreal but I don't think his camp is telling the Jets that no matter what, he's going to Montreal in two years.  That seems to be the sentiment but that's not what's actually being reported.

There are other teams interested in him as Dubois for two years is still worth a fair bit.  If someone goes and gets him and Dubois likes it there, I think he'd consider an extension so this isn't a case of Winnipeg taking whatever they can get.  Besides, they just went and got a veteran coach and are still trying to win now.  If the options are take an underwhelming return from Montreal and start a rebuild or keep the core together and try to win, the Jets are taking Door #2.

Entirely plausible. 

I do think any GM considering PLD would be very cautious and I don’t personally see anyone gambling on a long term contract with him. 

Any trade IMO would be handled like a rental. 

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Any trade IMO would be handled like a rental. 

A two-year rental (on a deal that should be a bit lower than UFA market value) is still worth quite a bit in a trade.

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A two-year rental (on a deal that should be a bit lower than UFA market value) is still worth quite a bit in a trade.

Agree, but it has zero value for us.

Maybe what we should do is wait and see how Dach looks. If, after 30-40 games, it looks as though he is not going to progress, then the pursuit of PLD becomes more sensible - provided it is predicated on locking him up long-term.

Of course, PLD will probably have been dealt by then. If so, you bide your time in case he becomes a UFA, then see where things stand.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Gallagher is not going anywhere. Nobody wants that contract ...

A friend posed to me a difficult question:  would you trade Anderson if that was the "cost" for the other team to take on Gallagher in a Pacs-ish trade? 

*** NOT *** suggesting that is possible/likley, but as a thought exercise it was interesting ... essentially, how much are you willing to give up to be rid of Gallagher's contract.

I really have no faith in Gallagher returning to being even a 20 goal scorer, so getting rid of that contract is très tempting.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

A friend posed to me a difficult question:  would you trade Anderson if that was the "cost" for the other team to take on Gallagher in a Pacs-ish trade? 

*** NOT *** suggesting that is possible/likley, but as a thought exercise it was interesting ... essentially, how much are you willing to give up to be rid of Gallagher's contract.

I really have no faith in Gallagher returning to being even a 20 goal scorer, so getting rid of that contract is très tempting.

No question that you would have to pay big time to get rid of that contract. 

The Anderson question is somewhat hypothetical as a team taking on both would need 12 million in cap room, not too many of those teams kicking around, would have to be more pieces involved. 

I still believe that Gallagher becomes a 20 goal scorer again, it won't be enough to make him attractive in a trade but I think he comes to camp very motivated.  He is with us for a while.  

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... I still believe that Gallagher becomes a 20 goal scorer again, it won't be enough to make him attractive in a trade ...

But if he becomes a 20 goal scorer it will take less to move him.

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Im not advocating for a PLD trade, in fact in a previous thread I argued against it. 

However if we can dump Gallagher a la GHT120’s idea that would be tempting. 

I was hoping to take advantage of the Jets but if it isn’t possible then it isn’t possible. 

I am not against trading for PLD if the cost is not enormous and he signs a reasonable long term deal. He just turned 24 and could be a big part of the rebuild. 

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I don't see any team with the cap space to take both, even with something coming back to Montreal. 

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't see any team with the cap space to take both, even with something coming back to Montreal. 

Apologies ... forgot to mention ... his suggestion was that the team getting Anderson would pay to dump Gallagher on a third team ... his idea was that the Habs get cap space and maybe something minor at most.