Montreal Canadiens Select Juraj Slafkovsky

Commandant

Slafkovsky gets #20 ... Wideman switches to #6 (which he actually has worn for most of his pro career).

Dach is #77
Dadonov #63
Matheson #8 (in Florida he was #19 but obviously not here).

Looks like I’ll have to replace my Weber name tag with Wideman on my Habs jersey. 

12 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Looks like I’ll have to replace my Weber name tag with Wideman on my Habs jersey. 

Or just strip it down to "W"

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, thats awesome.  Yesterday, the Habs tweeted a video from 2014 that this pic is from: 

Its 10 year old Slaf at a development camp. 

Almost as tall as DD at ton years old.

It was a joke 🙂

Also, not sure about Juraj’s choice when it comes to the ominous history surrounding the #20 and Habs players.

The Habs have now had 16 players wear that number since 2006, and it is 2022.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

... Also, not sure about Juraj’s choice when it comes to the ominous history surrounding the #20 and Habs players.

The Habs have now had 16 players wear that number since 2006, and it is 2022.

For the curious:

Mike Johnson 2007
Bryan Smolinski 2008
Robert Lang 2009
Jay Leach 2010
Ryan O'Byrne 2010-2011
James Wisniewski 2011
Colby Armstrong 2013
Thomas Vanek 2014
Manny Malhotra 2015
Victor Bartley 2016
Christian Thomas 2016
Zach Redmond 2017
Nicolas Deslauriers 2018-2019
Cale Fleury 2020-2021
Chris Wideman 2022

Expect the choice relates to the last player to wear the number before 2007 ... Richard Zednik, who wore it from his acquisition in 2001/01 through 2005/06 ... a fellow Slovakian ... Juraj has a CHANCE to become the best player to ever wear #20 as his regular number (Beliveau wore it for one year, Pete Mahovlich IMO the best "regular").

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For the curious:

Mike Johnson 2007
Bryan Smolinski 2008
Robert Lang 2009
Jay Leach 2010
Ryan O'Byrne 2010-2011
James Wisniewski 2011
Colby Armstrong 2013
Thomas Vanek 2014
Manny Malhotra 2015
Victor Bartley 2016
Christian Thomas 2016
Zach Redmond 2017
Cale Fleury 2020-2021
Chris Wideman 2022

Expect the choice relates to the last player to wear the number before 2007 ... Richard Zednik, who wore it from his acquisition in 2001/01 through 2005/06 ... a fellow Slovakian ... Juraj has a CHANCE to become the best player to ever wear #20 as his regular number (Beliveau wore it for one year, Pete Mahovlich IMO the best "regular").

Wow - quite a trip down memory lane, thanks! I liked some of those players - Johnson, Smoke, Vanek, Wiz - but especially Lang, whose devastating injury mid-season triggered the disastrous collapse of the 100th anniversary team in 2009 and ultimately led to Gainey blowing up the entire team.

Slaf the Giraffe is unlikely to be as good as Pete Mahovlich, but if he is, that will be great for us.

It’s hard to pick cool numbers on the Habs. 14 of them have already been taken…

Read that Jagr compared him to himself and wanted to recruit him for his team until realizing his young age... (that would be an absolute dream as Jagr is easily top5 GOATs  for me that I've been able to watch...

The more I think about it... barring a multi player trade he might need to start in Laval as habs currently have 5 players to many knocking on the door (providing everyone starts season healthy)

6 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

... The more I think about it... barring a multi player trade he might need to start in Laval as habs currently have 5 players to many knocking on the door (providing everyone starts season healthy)

I expect that ***IF*** Slafkovsky merits being the NHL HuGo will move/dump somebody, somehow to make room in the Top 9 ... exactly where will likely be fluid early in the season to find what best suits Juraj's development.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

For the curious:

Mike Johnson 2007
Bryan Smolinski 2008
Robert Lang 2009
Jay Leach 2010
Ryan O'Byrne 2010-2011
James Wisniewski 2011
Colby Armstrong 2013
Thomas Vanek 2014
Manny Malhotra 2015
Victor Bartley 2016
Christian Thomas 2016
Zach Redmond 2017
Cale Fleury 2020-2021
Chris Wideman 2022

Forgot all about obyrne. Drunken purse thief that he is

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I expect that ***IF*** Slafkovsky merits being the NHL HuGo will move/dump somebody, somehow to make room in the Top 9 ... exactly where will likely be fluid early in the season to find what best suits Juraj's 

Yes we would need to move/ waive multiple players to make room for him in the lineup

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Yes we would need to move/ waive multiple players to make room for him in the lineup

Currently, one player needs to be moved/waived to meet the 23 player limit (counting Slafkovsky) ... almost certainly a forward (they have 15 on the current CapFriendly listing) ... another forward is also likely to be moved to make room for a 7th defenceman ... but since they want/need to reduce caphit to give HuGo flexibility (i.e., room to make other deals if they arise) during the season, my perception is that those moves are needed for roster/cap reasons and not so much directly to "make room" for Juraj ... I expect they would want to make them regardless of where Slafkovsky is playing.

Based on "talk" that Byron may not be able to play, Paul going on LTIR may end up being the 23-man roster solution ... but that doesn't give HuGo the desired/needed cap flexibility.

https://theathletic.com/3437079/2022/07/21/juraj-slafkovsky-canadiens-draft-process/?source=weeklyemail&campaign=602288

“When Rick Nash went first overall as a winger, when the Ovechkin-Malkin debate happened — and it was not a slam dunk for Ovi to go first — but occasionally, you have a winger that outweighs a centre by that much, because that type of winger is virtually impossible to find or buy, impossible to trade for,” Bobrov said. “Obviously, analytics were very kind to other players. Analytics were great to Shane and great to Cooley, and great to a lot of other kids; (Simon) Nemec, (Denton) Mateychuk, Lane (Hutson)… But you don’t just base your decision purely on analytics. It’s helpful to see where apples to apples fit.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

https://theathletic.com/3437079/2022/07/21/juraj-slafkovsky-canadiens-draft-process/?source=weeklyemail&campaign=602288

“When Rick Nash went first overall as a winger, when the Ovechkin-Malkin debate happened — and it was not a slam dunk for Ovi to go first — but occasionally, you have a winger that outweighs a centre by that much, because that type of winger is virtually impossible to find or buy, impossible to trade for,” Bobrov said. “Obviously, analytics were very kind to other players. Analytics were great to Shane and great to Cooley, and great to a lot of other kids; (Simon) Nemec, (Denton) Mateychuk, Lane (Hutson)… But you don’t just base your decision purely on analytics. It’s helpful to see where apples to apples fit.

I thought this was the most interesting bit:

The Liiga is a conservative league,” Bobrov said that night. “It’s a very conservative league, a very defensive league. He learned how to defend in that league. And then he showed on the world stage what he can do when he can show some offence, shall we say. We haven’t talked about it yet, but he may have learned what Liiga had to teach.

• 1 year later...

Read something about Slaf this weekend. 

He'd have worked closely with Glen Tucker,  aka Dr. Shot. 

Tucker is known from working with such names as  Pastrnak, Bergeron, Eichel, etc.

Article said that Pasta didn' have that good of a shot/release when he started in the NHL.  Just like Slaf it seems.