Habs acquire Kirby Dach

dlbalr

I have to admit, I'm not a big Dach fan.  Obviously, they think he has another gear or two as I've yet to see consistent 2C upside from him.  For those who place a value on faceoff wins, he's about the worst centre in the league in that regard (32.8% last season).

I'm not overly familiar with Dach, so I'm not sure if I like that move but I do like that he is 6'-4" though. 

The Habs did need a C but it sucks that Romanov is gone. 

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I have to admit, I'm not a big Dach fan.  Obviously, they think he has another gear or two as I've yet to see consistent 2C upside from him.  For those who place a value on faceoff wins, he's about the worst centre in the league in that regard (32.8% last season).

Well that sounds awful for a good Dman in Romanov. 

I hope some magic happens with Slaf and Dach

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not stoked about Dach either.  I did just read a scouting report from Chicago that sounds promising.  They expected him to split time between 2nd and 1st line next year, depending on Toews.  His PPG went from 0.36 in his rookie year to 0.55 last season.  Also suggesting he's expected to be more productive.

I never saw a huge future for Romanov as player for the Habs (especially with the upcoming players on D) so I am happy that they were able to get such a high draft pick for him but I just dont feel Dach is the player you go and get for it.

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I'm not stoked about Dach either.  I did just read a scouting report from Chicago that sounds promising.  They expected him to split time between 2nd and 1st line next year, depending on Toews.  His PPG went from 0.36 in his rookie year to 0.55 last season.  Also suggesting he's expected to be more productive.

He went up to 0.56 in 2020-21, down to 0.37 in 2021-22.

I don't mind trading Romanov for another young player given the way we have Guhle and so many others at Left D. 

I'm not sure Dach is the guy though. He was bad last year. But I guess there is room to develop. 

Well, I sure was wrong that there would be no "further plans" flowing from the choice to draft Slaf the Giraffe.

Obviously Hugh-Gort sees Dach as a #1A and thinks that solves the C problem longer-term.

I know nothing about the guy, so let's hope they're right that Suzy-Dach is the answer down the middle

I don't know what to think of the trade.  I dont know enough about Dach, but if Hawks are rebuilding and if he is really good then wouldn't it make sense for them to keep him? 

Romanov was the Habs dman prospect with the most NHL experience and he was starting to step up offensively too.  I would have preferred for them to trade 1 of their other young dmen instead, with the exception of Guhle. 

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I don't know what to think of the trade.  I dont know enough about Dach, but if Hawks are rebuilding and if he is really good then wouldn't it make sense for them to keep him? 

Romanov was the Habs dman prospect with the most NHL experience and he was starting to step up offensively too.  I would have preferred for them to trade 1 of their other young dmen instead, with the exception of Guhle. 

I loved Romanov, but I never saw much offensive upside in him.

With him gone, though, our blueline will be an absolute disaster. We will need to add D if we are to avoid throwing our D prospects to the wolves.

Further thought: Slaf the Giraffe was hailed as the "most NHL ready" of the top prospects. Now we've acquired a third-year C. Are the Habs trying to accelerate the rebuild?

I don’t like this move at all. We are even thinner on D now. Seems a high price for a guy who hasn’t produced yet. I don’t like moving Romanov, but would have been okay with it if the second pick was to move up higher than 13.

on the flip side, Hawks clearly going for Bedard. Picked a guy going to college. Traded a 24 year old hi scored 40 goals. Kane and Toews are probably fine as well.  

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t like this move at all. We are even thinner on D now. Seems a high price for a guy who hasn’t produced yet. I don’t like moving Romanov, but would have been okay with it if the second pick was to move up higher than 13.

Well, if you're advocating for a Sandin offer sheet, there is now an opening for him to fit in on the back end.  (Still no cap space but now there's an opening...)

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Well, if you're advocating for a Sandin offer sheet, there is now an opening for him to fit in on the back end.  (Still no cap space but now there's an opening...)

Slight savings with a Dach RFA contract compared to a Romanov RFA contract?

I loved Romanov's hitting, but he really didn't have the puck handling / skating / playmaking ability you want to see in a good top 4 dman.  I'm ok with this trade.