Habs acquire Kirby Dach

dlbalr

59 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I did express my thoughts ... "

trying to make the playoffs would tend to mean putting wins ahead of development (IMO)

I think you are spot on on how you defined trying to make three playoffs. If you are trying to make the playoffs, you are probably not going to be willing to live with mistakes a rookie makes that costs you points in the standings.

24 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Umm, Edmundson is physical, he just doesn't throw a good hard punch.  Savard is the same.  Weber and Chiarot were too.  For their size, they were all severely underwhelming at fighting. 

Arber will play NHL, it just a question of if its next year or the year after. 

Yeah, fighting is how to win in 2022🙄

36 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Exactly, I like this about Dach. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzD_QC53NgE

Do you also like his production to date  in the NHL? How many game winning goals did he score, or set up??? Did he help the hawks win anything???

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Do you also like his production to date  in the NHL? How many game winning goals did he score, or set up??? Did he help the hawks win anything???

Dach is only 21 and I still think he has tons of potential. He lost almost a year of development with a wrist injury in 20/21. Big guys take longer to develop. Obviously HuGo really believes in the guy. Like the picks in the draft this year, time will tell. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Dach is only 21 and I still think he has tons of potential. He lost almost a year of development with a wrist injury in 20/21. Big guys take longer to develop. Obviously HuGo really believes in the guy. Like the picks in the draft this year, time will tell. 

I’m hoping so, but did we pay too high of a price? Maybe he does become a solid top six centre, but would a rebuilding team like the Hawks trade him if they don’t think he can become a core guy during their rebuild? 

I get nervous when I read skated well for his size, has an average shot, but is big. Size fetish makes GM’s do stupid things. 

Why would a rebuilding team like the Hawks trade a 24 year old DeBrincat who is a 40 goal scorer?   I don't know the answer to that either. 

The Athletic on the trade

It’s a handful, but the Canadiens got the player with the highest upside here, and the draft capital needed to acquire him wasn’t all that steep. Dach hasn’t shown nearly as much as many expected yet, but at 21 he’s still young and still has top-six upside. He’s not that yet and could very well bust, but one of his top comparables at the same age is Sean Couturier, an extremely promising proposition for the Canadiens. Dach has other less enticing comparables that bring pause but considering his pedigree he’s a smart bet.

For the other two teams involved – I have questions.

The Islanders essentially traded a first-round pick for Romanov, a player whose stock has plummeted after a horrific sophomore season. He’s shown less than nothing at the NHL level to be worth that price tag and it feels like Montreal is taking advantage of his previously high pedigree. While Romanov has some intriguing comparables of his own, none has the upside of Couturier and most became busts. I’m a skeptic, especially at that price tag.

The Blackhawks … I mean, woof. I could at least see why the team would trade Alex DeBrincat – they needed to get bad enough to tank, the qualifying offer, being two years away from free agency, and his age. Dach? How do you not keep a 21-year-old center with size drafted just three years ago? For 13th? It’s bad asset management, an all too common trend for the Blackhawks on draft day these days.

Canadiens: A
Islanders: C
Blackhawks: D

Don’t see how Dach becomes a  top 6 centre, let alone top line.

He has shown nothing in NHL to justify that belief and going back to junior was no beast either, his best season was 25 goals I believe and just over a point per game.  Those are not stud numbers and he should n out have been picked so high in his entry draft, Hawks pulled one over on Hughes here and this was a bad move.  He has never shown the offensive upside to be a top 6 player and what we end up with is another bottom 6 plug to clog up

the pipeline.

If this leads to Dvorak being traded this team is going to suck and be unwatchable again this season.  I pray Dach is not intended to be our 2C.

9 g, 17 assists in 70 games this year while getting  over 18 min/game is not  promising.

This further isolates Suzuki

/Cole as the only legit threats on the team and going to make it easy to game plan against and make Suzuki’s life miserable as he will be the sole focus of other teams game plans.  May even hinder his development by making this boneheaded trade.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Hawks pulled one over on Hughes here and this was a bad move. 

We shall see. Clearly his performance on the Hawks has not been impressive, otherwise he would not have been available at this price -- a bit higher than what Carolina paid for Kotkaniemi.

And, yet, Hugo would not have made the deal without extensive scouting and also input from their new analytics team and the new scouting agency. They are surely expecting the new player development organization to be able to help him get to the next level and reach his ceiling.

Will it work? Maybe or maybe not. But that's also the same answer that you'd have for a 13th draft pick, too, there are no guarantees on mid-first-round picks turning into top-six/top-four players, either.

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Why would a rebuilding team like the Hawks trade a 24 year old DeBrincat who is a 40 goal scorer?   I don't know the answer to that either. 

The Athletic on the trade

It’s a handful, but the Canadiens got the player with the highest upside here, and the draft capital needed to acquire him wasn’t all that steep. Dach hasn’t shown nearly as much as many expected yet, but at 21 he’s still young and still has top-six upside. He’s not that yet and could very well bust, but one of his top comparables at the same age is Sean Couturier, an extremely promising proposition for the Canadiens. Dach has other less enticing comparables that bring pause but considering his pedigree he’s a smart bet.

For the other two teams involved – I have questions.

The Islanders essentially traded a first-round pick for Romanov, a player whose stock has plummeted after a horrific sophomore season. He’s shown less than nothing at the NHL level to be worth that price tag and it feels like Montreal is taking advantage of his previously high pedigree. While Romanov has some intriguing comparables of his own, none has the upside of Couturier and most became busts. I’m a skeptic, especially at that price tag.

The Blackhawks … I mean, woof. I could at least see why the team would trade Alex DeBrincat – they needed to get bad enough to tank, the qualifying offer, being two years away from free agency, and his age. Dach? How do you not keep a 21-year-old center with size drafted just three years ago? For 13th? It’s bad asset management, an all too common trend for the Blackhawks on draft day these days.

Canadiens: A
Islanders: C
Blackhawks: D

I read that and was put-off by the hate on Romanov. Clearly, the commentators didn't watch Romanov improve over the season

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I read that and was put-off by the hate on Romanov. Clearly, the commentators didn't watch Romanov improve over the season

Yeah, I discount that entire analysis because of that. Romanov is a legit #4 d-man IMHO. I doubt he will ever be more than that, but calling him “less than nothing” is asinine.

Dach’s trajectory is identical to KK’s: big C drafted at #3; brought up too soon; has OK rookie season, has injury-depleted second C, flatlined in year three. He’s running out of time, but still should be given about two seasons to prove that he can deliver as a top-6 guy. It’s a gamble that had better pay off - because HughGort left two potentially impact C sitting there at the draft table, and I for one cannot stomach another decade of David Desharias types being slotted into the top-6 C role.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

I assume Hughes liked Dach more than a Frank Nazar, Lekkerimaki, or an Ostlund?

None of those are big centres and I suspect size mattered on this one.  Dach also fits the age of the younger core with Caufield and Suzuki.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

None of those are big centres and I suspect size mattered on this one.  Dach also fits the age of the younger core with Caufield and Suzuki.

But, will he "likely" be a better NHL player than those 3? I dont know Dach at all,  other than mediocre offense so far and he is large.

"It hasn't worked out quite like that yet. His goal-scoring has been a disappointment, with mediocre finishing results paired with a low shot volume. His playmaking took a step back, too, this season, with 17 assists in 70 games. There have been injuries and a roller-coaster of productivity each season."

I like the trade. A lot.

Dach fits the age of the core and adds an element Habs haven’t had in a long time.. big right handed C.

Wonder what Romanov wants on a new contract and if that played a role. 

6 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Wonder what Romanov wants on a new contract and if that played a role. 

Hughes noted they hadn't even started contract talks.  He's not a true RFA (he's a 10.2c guy) so he wasn't eligible for an offer sheet; that likely put him a little lower on the priority list for discussions.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Dach's analytics aren't good. 

🤮

I wonder if they are putting way too much faith in the idea that Caufield's magic turnaround under MSL can be replicated

Dach on a Zoom call at 4:00pm ... will carried n TSN690 ... and these are always available on the Habs twitter feed 

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

🤮

I wonder if they are putting way too much faith in the idea that Caufield's magic turnaround under MSL can be replicated

With the Habs having a new analytics department, there's obviously something they see in the numbers that says he can turn things around.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

🤮

from the reaction on this board, I think that Dach may be a healthier version of Armia and future RW on a checking line with potential to play up the lineup if he develops further

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

from the reaction on this board ...

Internet forums of any type not my favourite barometer for predicting success

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With the Habs having a new analytics department, there's obviously something they see in the numbers that says he can turn things around.

They obviously have propierty information that we don't. But the public numbers are bad. 

I missed a lot of games this year.  A lot of my recent opinions on Romanov this year are from reports and what I saw from him earlier this season and last season.  Here goes anyway, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Romanov is basically Emelin.  Not that there’s anything wrong with Emelin.  The biggest difference is Emelin knew who he was and played to his strengths.  Romanov wants to be a dynamic offensive contributor but doesn’t have the skill set yet or maybe ever.  Too many times joining the rush and not only not contributing, but the puck ending up in his own net while out of position.

I like Romanov, but I really believe we as Habs fans overrated him and to get the 13th pick for him was a really good return.