Habs acquire Kirby Dach

dlbalr

The kid is 21 years old..

We can cool it on the analytics and see how he blossoms under the current regime.

He didn’t dominate the NHL at 19 and 20 years old? What a bust.

He’s shown flashes.. like brilliant, potential to be dominant flashes… 

don’t write the kid off

46 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I missed a lot of games this year.  A lot of my recent opinions on Romanov this year are from reports and what I saw from him earlier this season and last season.  Here goes anyway, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Romanov is basically Emelin.  Not that there’s anything wrong with Emelin.  The biggest difference is Emelin knew who he was and played to his strengths.  Romanov wants to be a dynamic offensive contributor but doesn’t have the skill set yet or maybe ever.  Too many times joining the rush and not only not contributing, but the puck ending up in his own net while out of position.

I like Romanov, but I really believe we as Habs fans overrated him and to get the 13th pick for him was a really good return.

I think Emelin is a reasonable comparable. Maybe a modest upgrade on Emelin.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

🤮

I wonder if they are putting way too much faith in the idea that Caufield's magic turnaround under MSL can be replicated

That may be part of it. Young guys seem to like playing for MSL, he seems to have a way of taking the pressure off the young guys and letting them develop. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Its interesting that Dach has trained with Guhle for 4-5 years, and he knows Barron too.

Hughes mentioned yesterday that he actually called Barron to get some background on Dach.

5 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I like the trade. A lot.

Dach fits the age of the core and adds an element Habs haven’t had in a long time.. big right handed C.

Wonder what Romanov wants on a new contract and if that played a role. 

I have since wondered is Hughes has pulled a fast one over on the NYI?  i.e. did Hughes try to contact Romy but wasnt able to because he was in a Camp in Siberia?  Apparently, all Russians need to conscript and join the Army.  Romy is young so what are the odds that he still owes the Russian Army some time?  Is there any chance that Romy could be arrested and forced enlist for 1-2 years?  I can't help but wonder if that has anything to do with moving Romy. 

Eddie Olczyk said that the new Hawks regime has no ties with Dach, they didn't pick him.

This is sorta somewhat concerning:

image.png

image.png

Comments were from the Hawks interim head coach. 

Those are some fairly odd comments in the 1st Tweet.  The better person and on and off ice remarks combined with everything he needs to work on seem to suggest that he might be a partier type.  I've seen some user comments suggesting that. 

The Hawks might have tricked Hughes on this one.  Dach might have a bad psychological profile. 

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Eddie Olczyk said that the new Hawks regime has no ties with Dach, they didn't pick him.

image.png

image.png

Those are some fairly odd comments in the 1st Tweet.  The better person and on and off ice remarks combined with everything he needs to work on seem to suggest that he might be a partier type.  I've seen some user comments suggesting that. 

The Hawks might have tricked Hughes on this one.  Dach might have a bad psychological profile. 

the definition of "grasping at straws".

Dach replaces KK, with similar hopes and track record. He hedges Poehling and may actually be a good fit with him on a 3rd line

If he outplays Poehling, it is a win for the Habs. If he sucks and is moved to the wing, he replaces Armia and it is a win.

Loosing Romanov hurts, but Rommy would not have produced points to the level needed on a top-4. Was trending to what Kulak and Chiarot are... this is good asset management

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think Emelin is a reasonable comparable. Maybe a modest upgrade on Emelin.

Reasonable comparison, but Romanov can skate better I think. I feel like his skating in all areas is superior to emelin. Cuts. Cross overs, backwards, 

10 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Reasonable comparison, but Romanov can skate better I think. I feel like his skating in all areas is superior to emelin. Cuts. Cross overs, backwards, 

He may be better at skating than Emelin, but Emelin played safe defensive hockey.  Romanov pushes his offensive game beyond what he is capable of and got punished in the worse way frequently.  He is a more talented Emelin, he acts like a less talented Letang and gets burned because he forgets who he is.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

image.png

image.png

If true, he wouldn't be the first 21 year old guy that had some growing up to do.  I would be very surprised if Hughes makes this trade without knowing a lot about Dach's character as  Hughes talks about character a lot.  I would guess this trade didn't come out of the blue and that Dach was likely on Hughes radar for a while. 

What does Dach say here, I cant quite make it out: 

It sounds like he says quit my drinking.

He does a bunch of interesting moves throughout that entire vid.  I would say that it looks like most of his moves seem to be transferable to the NHL level. 

45 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If true, he wouldn't be the first 21 year old guy that had some growing up to do.  I would be very surprised if Hughes makes this trade without knowing a lot about Dach's character as  Hughes talks about character a lot.  I would guess this trade didn't come out of the blue and that Dach was likely on Hughes radar for a while. 

Thats very true.  It would be pretty wild situation to be 18 and given a contract for almost $3 mil.  His character seems to be good work ethic etc, but he could still like the booze a bit too much. 

Makes me wonder if DeBrincat drinks too?  Were they the Flyers version of Carter and Richards?  If yes, then both of those trades would make more sense. 

I don't believe any of the Habs are big drinkers so he wont have any drinking buddies in Montreal and if does drink too much that should help him.  Also, due to him not knowing the city or language he might have to live with an older player that can somewhat watch him.  Plus, the Habs have other people on staff that could help too.  If he does have a drinking problem it probably isnt a big one, and should be resolvable.  The change of scenery should do him good. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the definition of "grasping at straws".

Dach replaces KK, with similar hopes and track record. He hedges Poehling and may actually be a good fit with him on a 3rd line

If he outplays Poehling, it is a win for the Habs. If he sucks and is moved to the wing, he replaces Armia and it is a win.

Loosing Romanov hurts, but Rommy would not have produced points to the level needed on a top-4. Was trending to what Kulak and Chiarot are... this is good asset management

If Dach isn’t at least a good 2nd line centre we lost the trade. If all he does is replace Poehling or Armia, we lose the deal. We would have been better off using the 13th pick.

if there are character/maturity issues, hopefully the trade is a wake up call.

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

He also did a much better job moving the puck.

Hope Hughes did his due diligence on Dach..

Living In Edmonton , and Kirby from Sherwood Park..

We have to ask why did Chicago so readily trade Dach? Or simply the trade worked to their advantage and rebuild. But why trade a 21 year old..

Character? Off ice incident.. maybe a certain time when a player is willing to circumvent the rules during a certain Bubble year during playoffs in Edmonton, ? 

Perhaps was an 18 year old error in judgement and the team officials sat down with him. Maturity, injuries .. talk about potential? The age old term for athletes ...

I don't know. Chicago stayed at the JW Marriott in a city where the staff at the hotel talk.

Young kids mature. Afterall people make mistakes. Nothing major at all here. Just saying a reflection of one's character ..

Hope Habs did their due diligence and the kid excels . But Montreal is not a city to continue to make bad decisions off the ice.

He is seen as a 2 way player, 200 ft game, sounds similar to Wright.

It appears Hughes had a plan. What if? Could have? Should have?

Time will tell.. good night all.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are certainly jumping to conclusions about Dach.  Again, I don't think Hughes makes this trade without knowing a lot about Dach's character. 

I too live in Edmonton. Go talk to the staff at the JW Marriott, and what was happening during the bubble?

Kids will be kids, and we all mature. Even the slightest of error in judgment. ( Nothing illegal or anything serious..) but perhaps nothing more than immaturity from his home town and close to family with good intentions.

I am talking about Maturity level and whether that player has matured and evolved ..

Talking character here. Discipline and focus where off ice maturity translates to on ice leadership and respect.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are certainly jumping to conclusions about Dach.  Again, I don't think Hughes makes this trade without knowing a lot about Dach's character. 

I'm thinking of plausible reasons why the Hawks would get rid of him.   It seems suspect for them to get rid of him and DeBrincat too really. 

The Habs have new management, they didnt draft Suzuki or Caufield, so they should trade them because they are rebuilding?  That would basically be the Habs equivalent of what the Hawks just did. 

Dach could go to the gym every day then to the rink for hours but then go home a drink a few beers.  That wouldn't be something that Hughes, his scouts or analysts would know.  Guhle and Barron probably wouldn't know either.  However, that is something that Seabrooke would know because Dach lived at his house. 

If Dach does have a drinking problem, it might not in the sense that most people would think.  He might not drink to get drunk, and regularly.  If he drinks 1-2 beers/day the team would consider that to be a drinking problem.  "oh no,  he drinks every day'; "he can't go a day without it"; type reaction.  Beer is fattening so they would view that as a problem. 

In 1 of the videos he made a funny comment that stuck out about not being babysat anymore because in Junior he had all his meals and stuff and planned out and given to him.  It sounded like he liked the idea of doing whatever he wanted.

Like others have said, people grow and mature.  He'll have to figure it out, and he likely will. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If Dach isn’t at least a good 2nd line centre we lost the trade. If all he does is replace Poehling or Armia, we lose the deal. We would have been better off using the 13th pick.

The 13th pick would have been a risk, too -- maybe only 70% chance of becoming an NHL regular.

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The 13th pick would have been a risk, too -- maybe only 70% chance of becoming an NHL regular.

But a Nazar seems will be good NHLer...for example.

Commandant's comment like this is bit tantalizing.

"Nazar has a high-end top speed, he is amongst the fastest players in the class. His edgework and agility are also elite. Nazar can make a cut and change directions on a dime. This makes him extremely elusive and tough to defend both with and without the puck."

But, would be several years behind Dach in development and is much smaller centre; which likely played big factor and also with hole at centre haven taken a winger at #1 all makes sense.

Adding some hefty kids to lineup this season with Guhle-Slafkovski-Dach.

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/07/08/in-depth-analysis-who-is-kirby-dach/

Round Num. Drafted By Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM Last Season
1 1 New Jersey Jack Hughes C U.S. National Development Team [USHL] 166 44 64 108 26 2021-22
1 9 Anaheim Trevor Zegras C U.S. National Development Team [USHL] 99 26 48 74 62 2021-22
1 3 Chicago Kirby Dach C Saskatoon Blades [WHL] 152 19 40 59 71 2021-22
1 2 NY Rangers Kaapo Kakko R TPS Turku [SM-liiga] 157 26 32 58 34 2021-22
1 7 Buffalo Dylan Cozens C Lethbridge Hurricanes [WHL] 120 17 34 51 71 2021-22
1 6 Detroit Moritz Seider D Mannheim Eagles [DEL] 82 7 43 50 34 2021-22
1 15 Montreal Cole Caufield R U.S. National Development Team [USHL] 77 27 21 48 12 2021-22

Listen…Chicago must have had reasons for trading a 21-year-old 3rd overall pick in exchange for a 13th overall draft pick. 

They have a 1-year-old GM and a brand new head coach. Normally with a player of that profile, you’d say “well, he hasn’t worked out yet, but let’s see how he does under our new coach.”

Clearly Davidson had a good look at Dach and did not like what he saw. 

We can only speculate on what that was. I would like to think that Davidson is being an uptight NHL GM judging a kid for stupid stuff. Or that he is one of these egotists who comes in and says “I have zero allegiance to any player I didn’t draft.” Or that he feels there is an “attitude/culture problem” among the team’s young players and he has to clean house. All of these would be stupid reasons to trade a guy. And all of those are well within normal parameters for NHL GMs.

I dearly hope that there are no more serious, Jake Vrtanen/Zach Kassian style problems. I think of Hughes as a very diligent, earnest type who does his homework. If the issues are more serious, then that will puncture that impression for sure. This was a major move for this management group - their attempt to solve the C problem. For it to be a big whiff because of lack of due diligence would be brutal.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Listen…Chicago must have had reasons for trading a 21-year-old 3rd overall pick in exchange for a 13th overall draft pick. 

They have a 1-year-old GM and a brand new head coach. Normally with a player of that profile, you’d say “well, he hasn’t worked out yet, but let’s see how he does under our new coach.”

Clearly Davidson had a good look at Dach and did not like what he saw. 

We can only speculate on what that was. I would like to think that Davidson is being an uptight NHL GM judging a kid for stupid stuff. Or that he is one of these egotists who comes in and says “I have zero allegiance to any player I didn’t draft.” Or that he feels there is an “attitude/culture problem” among the team’s young players and he has to clean house. All of these would be stupid reasons to trade a guy.

I dearly hope that there are no more serious, Jake Vrtanen/Zach Kassian style problems. I think of Hughes as a very diligent, earnest type who does his homework. If the issues are more serious, then that will puncture that impression for sure.

They didn’t like Debrincat either?

It seems to me that they are Hoping for Bedard and are heading for another rebuild. 

I sense a Buffalo level of incompetence for Chicago

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

What does Dach say here, I cant quite make it out: 

It sounds like he says quit my drinking ...

I think he said laid off the beer and started working out ... pretty common amongst teenage CHL players.

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Hughes said post draft they did a lot of research, including speaking with Justin Barron who was with Dach on Team Canada (Dach missed games due to wrist surgery).