Habs acquire Kirby Dach

dlbalr

19 minutes ago, DON said:

You want...? Not sure that matters much and elite aint cheap.

Out of those 13 forwards, who is Elite?

Suzuki? Caufield? are they NHL-level elite?

We are all hoping Slafkovski becomes elite, that would be one elite forward... I think Habs need another elite forward.

In D, we have decent Ds, but no-one Elite. We need more there

An we do not have an Elite goalie anymore. Just a shadow of his former self.

The tank 2022-2023 is on!

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Out of those 13 forwards, who is Elite?

Suzuki? Caufield? are they NHL-level elite?

No one, same as last 30 years of Habs forwards.

But, has nothing to do with what you 'want'.

Elite would be nice to see from Slafkovski, but solid top six winger should be expectation at moment.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

In D, we have decent Ds, but no-one Elite. We need more there

But you also said the following. 

"don’t look now, but the Habs D is crap"

Is it "decent" or is it "crap"?  I think talent wise the Habs group of defenseman is better than you think.  The young ones just need experience. 

52 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Is it "decent" or is it "crap"?  I think talent wise the Habs group of defenseman is better than you think.  The young ones just need experience. 

In terms of proven NHL experience, we have two top-4 D-men (Petry and Edmundson) - neither of whom is top-pairing on a good team - one bottom-pairing guy (Savard), and one #6-7 (Wideman). This is absolutely, right now, easily the worst Habs d-corps since the Houle years and unquestionably bottom-3 in the NHL. 

Prospect-wise, the situation on D looks much better. Barron, Harris, Guhle, perhaps Norlinder and Mailloux, and now Hutson, all seem to be quite promising. One of the first-three could conceivably emerge as a top-pairing guy, maybe even elite (Guhle). But are any of them ready for full-time NHL duty? Too soon to say.

As for FW, Caufield and Slaf the Giraffe should profile as legit top-line guys. CC has as good a chance to become an elite scoring FW as any kid we've had in our organization since MaxPac. If Slaf is not a top-3 W, then we should have picked someone else.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In terms of proven NHL experience, we have two top-4 D-men (Petry and Edmundson) - neither of whom is top-pairing on a good team - one bottom-pairing guy (Savard), and one #6-7 (Wideman). This is absolutely, right now, easily the worst Habs d-corps since the Houle years and unquestionably bottom-3 in the NHL. 

Prospect-wise, the situation on D looks much better. Barron, Harris, Guhle, perhaps Norlinder and Mailloux, and now Hutson, all seem to be quite promising. One of the first-three could conceivably emerge as a top-pairing guy, maybe even elite (Guhle). But are any of them ready for full-time NHL duty? Too soon to say.

As for FW, Caufield and Slaf the Giraffe should profile as legit top-line guys. CC has as good a chance to become an elite scoring FW as any kid we've had in our organization since MaxPac. If Slaf is not a top-3 W, then we should have picked someone else.

I don't think anyone will dispute that the future looks a whole lot better than the present when it comes to their defense core. 

19 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I could see us having a young D this year. Expecting Petry to be traded

Guhle 

Barron

Harris 

Edmundson

Savard

Wideman

Cheap UFA 

I'm guessing a cheap-ish UFA D (Chiarot?), a cheap UFA 7D and two youngsters playing regularly (maybe on a rotation initially)

For better or worse, an article from TVA Sports (online translation, with some tweaking):

André Tourigny coached Kirby Dach to the 2018 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup and two years later to preseason games for the World Junior Hockey Championship, where a wrist injury ended his tournament before it started. 

Even though he is now at the helm of the Arizona Coyotes, the passionate coach is full of praise for the new center player of the Montreal Canadiens.

"He wants to be a good player, he wants to be a star player in the National League," he said after Day 2 of the NHL Draft on Friday in Montreal. He has "hockey sense" and has very good hands. He's not afraid to go to the net or down the boards." 

The other characteristic that Tourigny raises is one of two that general manager Kent Hughes wants to bet on to propel his youthful turn.

“He's faster than he looks for a big guy. He's a very easy guy to lead. He wasn't named Team Canada captain for nothing."

Tourigny says that during the delay in the resumption of activities in the NHL due to the pandemic, Dach himself offered his services to the national team in the fall of 2020.

“He played at 18 in the NHL and he called himself because he wanted to play in the World Junior Championship. He wants to make a difference and he wants to be good.

“He was a veteran at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. I asked him to play on the wing, even though we had other options.

He never had an attitude. He said "no problem". He had never played on the wing, I think. He bonded very well with Alexis Lafrenière on the first line. 

Alex Rouleau, the Blackhawks' national amateur scout, calls Dach an "extremely talented center with a lot of offensive skills." He says he had mixed feelings when the deal was announced on the draft floor Thursday night, shortly after the one that catapulted Alex DeBrincat to Ottawa.  

"When you see players you signed getting traded, you're always in shock," he admitted.

“You have to take into account, first of all, the club where he played. Chicago, in terms of results last year, still finished 27th. When you start from that, you can compare with clubs that have very good players. Offensively, it's hard to stand out in such a competitive league when the whole team is dragging its feet.

Then, regarding his performance in the NHL so far, Rouleau wonders if the old regime hasn't set too many expectations on him.

"We brought him to the NHL so early," observed the former Val-d'Or Foreurs defender, who still resides in Abitibi. He started at 18 with great responsibilities. The bar rose very quickly in his case. It reminds me of situations I saw in Montreal not so long ago.

"Just the fact that he has matured three years since entering the NHL, time will prove his talent and his ability."

Time. That's what it takes, with a bit of patience, for a player to reach their full potential. These two criteria are not lacking with the Canadians, who have done and will continue to do the full of hopes to equip themselves.

“He will continue to learn many things (under Martin St-Louis). He can become a very good player on 200 feet and he will not hurt the team.

In this sense, Tourigny does not believe Habs fans should see Dach as a savior or impact player upon his arrival.

“The fans are excited. But take your time and get to know him. Why pressure him? His game is not fully developed yet. There is still a lot of room for its improvement. You have to be patient."

And in terms of leadership, expect a silent leader, but whose effort, passion and work ethic are part of the hockey DNA.

“He looks nonchalant, but he isn't. He is very attentive. He is cerebral, analytical and a good teammate. He will be fun to be around. Guys are going to love him in the locker room."

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

i don't remember which was before or after I read about Romanov.

Also, one of them was comenting on the status after Petry would be traded wasn't it?

Can you check for me?

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Also, one of them was comenting on the status after Petry would be traded wasn't it?

Can you check for me?

Both were after the Romanov trade, just keeping you on your toes.  LOL

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For better or worse, an article from TVA Sports (online translation, with some tweaking):

André Tourigny coached Kirby Dach to the 2018 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup and two years later to preseason games for the World Junior Hockey Championship, where a wrist injury ended his tournament before it started. 

Even though he is now at the helm of the Arizona Coyotes, the passionate coach is full of praise for the new center player of the Montreal Canadiens.

"He wants to be a good player, he wants to be a star player in the National League," he said after Day 2 of the NHL Draft on Friday in Montreal. He has "hockey sense" and has very good hands. He's not afraid to go to the net or down the boards." 

The other characteristic that Tourigny raises is one of two that general manager Kent Hughes wants to bet on to propel his youthful turn.

“He's faster than he looks for a big guy. He's a very easy guy to lead. He wasn't named Team Canada captain for nothing."

Tourigny says that during the delay in the resumption of activities in the NHL due to the pandemic, Dach himself offered his services to the national team in the fall of 2020.

“He played at 18 in the NHL and he called himself because he wanted to play in the World Junior Championship. He wants to make a difference and he wants to be good.

“He was a veteran at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. I asked him to play on the wing, even though we had other options.

He never had an attitude. He said "no problem". He had never played on the wing, I think. He bonded very well with Alexis Lafrenière on the first line. 

Alex Rouleau, the Blackhawks' national amateur scout, calls Dach an "extremely talented center with a lot of offensive skills." He says he had mixed feelings when the deal was announced on the draft floor Thursday night, shortly after the one that catapulted Alex DeBrincat to Ottawa.  

"When you see players you signed getting traded, you're always in shock," he admitted.

“You have to take into account, first of all, the club where he played. Chicago, in terms of results last year, still finished 27th. When you start from that, you can compare with clubs that have very good players. Offensively, it's hard to stand out in such a competitive league when the whole team is dragging its feet.

Then, regarding his performance in the NHL so far, Rouleau wonders if the old regime hasn't set too many expectations on him.

"We brought him to the NHL so early," observed the former Val-d'Or Foreurs defender, who still resides in Abitibi. He started at 18 with great responsibilities. The bar rose very quickly in his case. It reminds me of situations I saw in Montreal not so long ago.

"Just the fact that he has matured three years since entering the NHL, time will prove his talent and his ability."

Time. That's what it takes, with a bit of patience, for a player to reach their full potential. These two criteria are not lacking with the Canadians, who have done and will continue to do the full of hopes to equip themselves.

“He will continue to learn many things (under Martin St-Louis). He can become a very good player on 200 feet and he will not hurt the team.

In this sense, Tourigny does not believe Habs fans should see Dach as a savior or impact player upon his arrival.

“The fans are excited. But take your time and get to know him. Why pressure him? His game is not fully developed yet. There is still a lot of room for its improvement. You have to be patient."

And in terms of leadership, expect a silent leader, but whose effort, passion and work ethic are part of the hockey DNA.

“He looks nonchalant, but he isn't. He is very attentive. He is cerebral, analytical and a good teammate. He will be fun to be around. Guys are going to love him in the locker room."

Good stuff.  Dach should be in an environment where he feels comfortable this year.  No pressure to win, go out, work hard, have fun and listen to St. Louis. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Thanks for posting. Good perspective. My initial impression was that he seemed pretty nonchalant and that his body language and laid back attitude didn’t really make me believe him when he said he is happy to be gong to Montreal. I’m hoping he comes in works hard and becomes a 1A centre. Lets

hope he has a good year next year, and than explodes in 2023-24 - so we still have a good lottery pick next year.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Can you check for me?

I think the habs D was crap before the Romanov trade and are worse now. I was hoping to pick up some solid D prospects in the first round - which is my preference would have to have kept the 13th puck, and than see if we could use it and Anderson or Dvorak to move up. 

Hopefully Dach and Slafkovsky work out and we can still move others to solidify the D.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Good stuff.  Dach should be in an environment where he feels comfortable this year.  No pressure to win, go out, work hard, have fun and listen to St. Louis. 

Yeah - he doesn’t have to come in and replace an injured Toews.

55 minutes ago, huzer said:

So, what's the expected AAV for his next contract?

Just on sheer production alone I would guess somewhere between $2m - $3m.  Just a pure guess would be 2 years @ $2.5m.  Would be in his final year of RFA when the bridge deal is done and we should know what he will be by then.

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Cap friendly is showing 1M/year.

Link?

I checked. Danault was making just over $3M/year

Dach is coming out of a $0.925/CAP + $2.5M/BONUS contract where he did not trigger the bonus payouts.

I woul dbe happy with a $3Mx3yr contract MAX

Edited by alfredoh2009
added MAX, which I forgot

5 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Just on sheer production alone I would guess somewhere between $2m - $3m.  Just a pure guess would be 2 years @ $2.5m.  Would be in his final year of RFA when the bridge deal is done and we should know what he will be by then.

He has 4 years of RFA left.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

So Habs would be better served with a 3 year show me contract.

on the other hand, could a guy like Dach take a discount if you signed him for 4 years taking him to UFA? I don’t see it being likely but it’s an interesting thought 

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

If that’s the case wouldn’t it be better to sign him to a one or two year deal. See how he does and than still have either 2 or 3 years of RFA years left on a longer term deal? I’d rather do that than go the Drouin route and sign him to an unmovable cap hit before he shows he deserves it.