Jump to content

Habs acquire Kirby Dach


 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I loved Romanov's hitting, but he really didn't have the puck handling / skating / playmaking ability you want to see in a good top 4 dman.  I'm ok with this trade.

 

If Dach becomes a legit #2 C, then it's a good trade, since I doubt Romy will ever become more than a #4 d-man (although he's a solid second-pairing guy IMHO).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eesh! Not sure what to think of this trade. My first reaction is to be a little pissed. I liked Romy. I guess we'll have to be patient and see what Dach does over the next couple of years! Just looking at his stats, will not convince anyone that this is a good trade. but stats don't tell the whole story!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I loved Romanov, but I never saw much offensive upside in him.

 

With him gone, though, our blueline will be an absolute disaster. We will need to add D if we are to avoid throwing our D prospects to the wolves.

 

Further thought: Slaf the Giraffe was hailed as the "most NHL ready" of the top prospects. Now we've acquired a third-year C. Are the Habs trying to accelerate the rebuild?

 

Ya, I really liked him too.  Last year I had the thought of wishing he was more offensive, and that was when he started trying to do more offensive things. The last half of the season he was definitely trying to improve offensively.  That could also be because he was young, so just play d and not make mistakes, and then when more comfortable try to be more offensive.

 

It doesnt seem like they want to tank next year - thank god.  It also seems that they like bigger players too - thank god again.  Slaf and Dach have the size to play past the 2nd round.  Thats a good thing.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Is Dach a 1b type or is he a second line centre?

Unless Dvorak is traded I expect he may well be the 3C to start next season to insulate him during his development under MSL et al ... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... It doesnt seem like they want to tank next year ...

Never thought they would do a full-out tank (like Chicago is right now) ... but adding young players who still need to development doesn't make me think they are aiming for a shot at the playoffs next season ... accelerated rebuild but not abandoning the rebuild ... but UFA/summer will give a better indication of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I loved Romanov's hitting, but he really didn't have the puck handling / skating / playmaking ability you want to see in a good top 4 dman.  I'm ok with this trade.

I would have preferred keeping the 13th pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Never thought they would do a full-out tank (like Chicago is right now) ... but adding young players who still need to development doesn't make me think they are aiming for a shot at the playoffs next season ... accelerated rebuild but not abandoning the rebuild ... but UFA/summer will give a better indication of that.

 

 

Realistically they need to try to make the playoffs with young guys - but have no expectation of winning it all.  They need to get experience for when they are truly ready to make an actual attempt at the Cup.  The problem with tanking is those teams end up having high expectations of winning but they have no playoff experience and get bounced 1st rnd - and for years. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Indication that Guhle is NHL next season?

 

Don't underestimate Arber Xekaj, who is 1 year older.  He's much bigger and meaner than Romanov also. 

 

   
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, habscout said:

 

Don't underestimate Arber Xekaj, who is 1 year older.  He's much bigger and meaner than Romanov also. 

 

   


you got to be kidding

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, habscout said:

 

Don't underestimate Arber Xekaj, who is 1 year older.  He's much bigger and meaner than Romanov also. 

 

   

 

He's so far from NHL ready.... so far. 

 

I think its almost 0 chance he makes the team out of camp. He's going to Laval. 

 

Remember that he was an overage player in the OHL too.  There are so many overagers who dominate that league and go nowhere. This becomes even more true when one does it with size and a physical game.  He's going to face a whole new level of competition facing men instead of teenagers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, habscout said:

 

Don't underestimate Arber Xekaj, who is 1 year older.  He's much bigger and meaner than Romanov also. 

 

   

 

That is a good point.  Is he really bigger though?  I think Guhle weighs more. 

 

 

Speaking of big and mean: 

 

 

I'm liking this vid too:

 

 

His 1st nhl g looked sweet, until I saw the replay from the other angle. 

 

He does a lot of nice moves and seems to have decent hockey iq.  ex:  his A vs the Ducks.  He seems good at using his height i.e. arm reach and stick length; to keep the puck away from opposing players. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Realistically they need to try to make the playoffs with young guys ...

Not next season hopefully ... they clearly (to me) won't be outright tanking but I think 2022-23 is still another development year for the youngsters and see if they can move out some contracts along the way ... trying to make the playoffs would tend to mean putting wins ahead of development (IMO) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not next season hopefully ... they clearly (to me) won't be outright tanking but I think 2022-23 is still another development year for the youngsters and see if they can move out some contracts along the way ... trying to make the playoffs would tend to mean putting wins ahead of development (IMO) 

 

In what way exactly does winning oppose and hinder development?  Just curious. 

 

Is there a rule that I am not aware of that prohibits a team going into the playoffs from being a seller at the trade deadline? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

In what way exactly does winning oppose and hinder development?  Just curious. ...

 

I did express my thoughts ... "trying to make the playoffs would tend to mean putting wins ahead of development (IMO)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

I did express my thoughts ... "

trying to make the playoffs would tend to mean putting wins ahead of development (IMO)

 

Putting wins ahead of development happens when there an *expectation* of making the playoffs and going far.  It is fully possible to be young and develop players and still try to make the playoffs.  Its really isnt a binary 0 or 1 or black or white all or nothing thing that some people here seem to suggest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Soft as butter with Edmundson plus Guhle and Arber coming?  No No No


Edmundson is not physical, just big and uses his body.

Guhle will be learning, and may not play in the NHL right a way 

 

Arber may never play in the NHL

 

Soft as butter 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:


Edmundson is not physical, just big and uses his body.

Guhle will be learning, and may not play in the NHL right a way 

 

Arber may never play in the NHL

 

Soft as butter 

 

Umm, Edmundson is physical, he just doesn't throw a good hard punch.  Savard is the same.  Weber and Chiarot were too.  For their size, they were all severely underwhelming at fighting. 

 

Arber will play NHL, it just a question of if its next year or the year after. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Commandant said:

 

I have my doubts. 


I’m a fan of Arber and I agree with you. A long shot 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Being a good but not dominant player as an OHL overager, it doesn't scream surefire NHLer. 

 

Thats true, but I still think he's got a good shot at being a 6th or 7th dman.  He has the size and toughness and can throw hard punches.  Plus, he seems to be 1 of the players that continues to constantly improve.  It might take him 3 years to make it.

 

A shitty thing about losing Romy is he was that type of player that was constantly improving and getting better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...