#33 Overall, Owen Beck

Commandant

Drafted in the Second Round, 29th Overall in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection Draft by the Mississauga Steelheads, Beck was hurt by the fact that the OHL cancelled the entire 2020-21 season due to COVID-19. Despite that setback, Beck was able to put together a solid rookie season in Mississauga this year. He put up 21 goals and 30 assists for 51 points in 68 regular-season games. Beck also had the chance to play in the OHL playoffs. He put up one goal and five assists for six points in 10 playoff games. Beck and the Steelheads were able to defeat the Barrie Colts in six games in the first round. They ran into a powerhouse Hamilton Bulldogs team in the second round and lost in four games.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/06/03/owen-beck-scouting-report-2022-nhl-draft-31/

9 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I'm reading that he has kind of an high floor ?

Yep.  He's someone that seems like a good third-line guy at a minimum and if the offensive tools develop, he could be a second-liner.

With Hutson at 62, I actually like this pick far more. I wanted to go for high upside, so Hutson fills that. 

in retrospect, have a very safe solid guy like Beck is a nice pick !

41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That assumes Dach and Beck both work out.

Pretty big assumption IMHO

Huh?

Why such a big assumption? 

Suzuki is a top line centre. There are 31 other teams that would love his skill.

Dach, a 21 year old 3rd overall pick has size and speed. Has all the tools to be a good 2nd line centre.

Beck is a young kid with speed, great at faceoffs, projected to be a 1st rounder. Has all the tools to be a good 3rd line centre.

Too much pessimism around here.

I'm not saying it won't happen. But Dach has been a bust for his last two seasons; he is an NHLer but it's a leap of faith to say he WILL ever become more than a bottom-6 player. Beck, meanwhile, has not played an NHL game. 

Everyone is always bursting with optimism about prospects. But for all we know Beck will never have more than a cup of coffee in  the NHL.

Hence my note of caution.

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not saying it won't happen. But Dach has been a bust for his last two seasons; he is an NHLer but it's a leap of faith to say he WILL ever become more than a bottom-6 player. Beck, meanwhile, has not played an NHL game. 

Everyone is always bursting with optimism about prospects. But for all we know Beck will never have more than a cup of coffee in  the NHL.

Hence my note of caution.

Dach has NOT been a bust. The last two seasons he was 19 and 20. A kid. Not close to reaching his potential.

People expect prospects to play and dominate at such a young age because elite superstars do it. 

Dach at 21 is right where he should be. 

Just now, TheDriveFor25 said:

Dach has NOT been a bust. The last two seasons he was 19 and 20. A kid. Not close to reaching his potential.

People expect prospects to play and dominate at such a young age because elite superstars do it. 

Dach at 21 is right where he should be. 

No. Dach should not have been in the league - just like KK. He was a prospect that was rushed into the league. Maybe the change will be good for him - it helps some players, but there is mo guarantee. We don’t know if he has the skill, and IQ to make it as a top 6 player yet. One of the big risks with drafting big guys high that “skate well for their size”, but we’re t considered really good skaters, is that when they no longer have the size/strength advantage, they don’t dominate any more. 

im hoping he becomes a solid 1A type centre, and the change helps him like a change helped Schenn, but he’s far from a sure thing.

9 hours ago, Meller93 said:

With Hutson at 62, I actually like this pick far more. I wanted to go for high upside, so Hutson fills that. 

in retrospect, have a very safe solid guy like Beck is a nice pick !

Yup, i like first 4 picks for sure....the other 7, not sure.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Yup, i like first 4 picks for sure....the other 7, not sure.

Instant impression on Rohrer is I really like him, especially at 75. Then we're just getting really late in the draft and who knows what will happen. 

Watched a few interviews with Beck. Certainly a very smart kid (OHL scholastic player of the year) and a guy with a lot of character, interviews very well.  Could develop into an excellent 3rd line center at the NHL level as he has the skating ability and smarts to do this and he seems to relish that kind of role. 

Beck 1 vote in a "most talented opponent" question.

... the one draft-eligible player in their league that they’d want on their team. 

OHL head coach: Owen Beck.

OHL assistant coach: Owen Beck.

• 6 months later...