62nd Overall, Lane Hutson

Commandant

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

I agree we have to watch out getting too high on prospects, but I am actually particularly high on Hutson. I just think he has “it”.

when I watch him it reminds me of how I felt seeing Subban and the world juniors.

I know, but similar to hype over the #`1 pick, who seems to be too eerily similar to Jesse  Puljujarvi and may not be the all star winger we hope he will be.

Again, lots of kids light it up vs teenagers but that is it.

But, it might be different, once start getting run through the end boards by the Josh Anderson/Tom Wilson's of the world, or not having guys bite on a deck or duck like kids would, or not having as much time to make decisions (which shoudl be his strong suit they say).

But, i was very excited & happy happy happy with the pick and that Hughes was at least willing to draft two 5'7" d-men.:thumbs_up:

4 minutes ago, DON said:

I know, but similar to hype over the #`1 pick, who seems to be too eerily similar to Jesse  Puljujarvi and may not be the all star winger we hope he will be.

Again, lots of kids light it up vs teenagers but that is it.

But, it might be different, once start getting run through the end boards by the Josh Anderson/Tom Wilson's of the world, or not having guys bite on a deck or duck like kids would, or not having as much time to make decisions (which shoudl be his strong suit they say).

But, i was very excited & happy happy happy with the pick and that Hughes was at least willing to draft two 5'7" d-men.:thumbs_up:

Don that is depressing as shit 😆

Maybe once, maybe just once would a Habs draft pick become a star in my lifetime. 

Maybe we got 2? 

53 minutes ago, DON said:

... who seems to be too eerily similar to Jesse  Puljujarvi ...

Not certain how Slafkovsky is eerily similar to JP ... other than both being tall.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain how Slafkovsky is eerily similar to JP ... other than both being tall.

Both big European wingers who played in Liiga with ok to good (JP better) production for draft eligible guys. Shined in international competition which boosted their stock drastically. Skate well especially for big guys. Both have great hands and good puck protections skills. 

16 hours ago, GHT120 said:

OK, read this, or any other 2016 write up on him and may seem similar...to me anyways.:spamafote:

Obviously hope the kid is more like Jagr, time will tell.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/6/5/11795448/jesse-puljujarvi-highlights-draft-profile-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-rankings

...While both Matthews and Laine scored more goals, his playmaking abilities and great hands stood out as his main skills. He has excellent vision, and he uses it to find his teammates, which he can do with little to no space. If he doesn't feel that he has a shot, he'll thread the needle and gift one of his teammates an opportunity.

And when he does shoot, it is rather impressive. He has an elite shot with a deceptive release that is sure to give NHL goaltenders headaches when he makes the jump...

1 hour ago, DON said:

OK, read this, or any other 2016 write up on him and may seem similar...to me anyways.:spamafote:

Obviously hope the kid is more like Jagr, time will tell.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/6/5/11795448/jesse-puljujarvi-highlights-draft-profile-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-rankings

...While both Matthews and Laine scored more goals, his playmaking abilities and great hands stood out as his main skills. He has excellent vision, and he uses it to find his teammates, which he can do with little to no space. If he doesn't feel that he has a shot, he'll thread the needle and gift one of his teammates an opportunity.

And when he does shoot, it is rather impressive. He has an elite shot with a deceptive release that is sure to give NHL goaltenders headaches when he makes the jump...

I prefer to have hope, but not expectations.

IN GENERAL, the disappointment/concern around Slafkovsky seems to stem from either not believing in/likiing HuGo and therefore doubting their selection ... AND/OR ... because they didn't select Wright ... the former is etched in stone until the results are in ... the latter is from expectations ... well, Galchenyuk had similar size to Wright and a similar "year before draft eligible" season (AG was hurt his draft year) ... Sam Reinhart was bigger and had a better draft season ... so too was Dylan Strome ... all were expected to become legit, top echelon 1Cs ... point being that, as is often pointed out, drafting is not a science and expectations are not always useful ... unlike McDavid/Matthews/MacKinnon, (a) Wright's name does not begin with an "M" and (b) by draft-time Wright was not a consensus #1. 

Projections are the business of scouts and teams ... but for fans it is all guesses ... I'll judge JS based on what he does in the next few seasons, and until then hope HuGo were right. 

Been watching video of this kid. I can't stop. He's so dynamic. First pass. Skating it out. Cuts

Creating open ice. Playmaking is off the charts. so fun to watch. I don't care. I know I'm not supposed to get excited about prospects, but this kid looks so good.