2022 Free Agent Frenzy

dlbalr

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A bit surprised that both Kane and Malkin re-signed with their clubs. That’s two big names off the board.

Not surprised at all about Kane, he really enjoyed playing with Edmonton and once they got rid of Kassian and Keith retired the cap room was available. 

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A bit surprised that both Kane and Malkin re-signed with their clubs. That’s two big names off the board.

Yeah, I thought mister bankrupt gambler would sign for at least $7m. I think that signing is a firsts for Holland - good cap hit and term.

Malkin’a term still scares me, becuase od his injury problems. But than inthink the last 1 to 2 years on most of the penguins recent signings are add-ins to allow them to still compete during the next 2-3 years while Crosby is still productive.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, I thought mister bankrupt gambler would sign for at least $7m. I think that signing is a firsts for Holland - good cap hit and term.

Malkin’a term still scares me, becuase od his injury problems. But than inthink the last 1 to 2 years on most of the penguins recent signings are add-ins to allow them to still compete during the next 2-3 years while Crosby is still productive.

The Pens remind me of San Jose about three years ago: going all-in on long-term contracts for big names, hoping to bolster an aging core for one last throw. They have to know full well that they will be in absolute cap hell over the final years of Malkin’s and Letang’s contracts; they just don’t care.

I doubt it will work for them any better than it did for San Jose. There comes a time when you have to cut bait on your old core, no matter how great it was.

Does anyone think the Habs could be in on Justin Schulz as a possible stop-gap after Petry - ? I don’t know what his ask would be, but I doubt anyone is giving him a 6-year deal at big term. If we could sign him to a serviceable contract for three years, he might add a veteran RH puck-mover to give the kids some breathing room.

Just spitballing…

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Does anyone think the Habs could be in on Justin Schulz as a possible stop-gap after Petry - ? I don’t know what his ask would be, but I doubt anyone is giving him a 6-year deal at big term. If we could sign him to a serviceable contract for three years, he might add a veteran RH puck-mover to give the kids some breathing room.

Just spitballing…

I wonder if Wideman's new deal takes that option off the table though as Schultz is more of a 5/6 guy at this point than a possible Petry replacement.

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just spitballing…

I wouldn't expect anything big in terms of signing ufa's for the habs. I remember KG saying  don't aspect them to be in on any 5 star ufa's. 

Also they really don't have to trade Petry right away. They could hold on to him tell the trade deadline, hoping he plays good so they can get more. 

Andrew Copp to Detroit, 5 x $5.625.

Vincent Trocheck to the Rangers, 7 x $5.625.

Ilya Mikheyev to Vancouver, 4 x $4.75.

Colin White to Florida, 1 x $1.2.

Max Domi and Andreas Athanasiou to CHI, 1 x $3 each.

Nick Leddy stays in St. Louis, 4 x $4M

Ilya Samsonov to Toronto, 1 x $1.8M.

On the Hab-ish side, Laurent Dauphin to Arizona and Xavier Ouellet to Pittsburgh.

Big extension for Sergachev in Tampa today - 8 x $8.5M.  They also signed Ian Cole and Vladislav Namestnikov to one-year deals which means Ondrej Palat is going elsewhere.  Cirelli (8 x $6.25M) also gets an extension done as does Cernak (8 x $5.2M).

Dallas is re-engaging talks with John Klingberg so the Petry option there might not last much longer.

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's really starting to look like Petry will be back.  The market is the market and it doesn't look like a big market for his services right now. Hughes doesn't have a lot of leverage right now, unlike the trade deadline last year. 

I was hoping Petry would be done already so you might be right. 

Maybe if Klingberg signs elsewhere Dallas still might be an option 

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Big extension for Sergachev in Tampa today - 8 x $8.5M.  They also signed Ian Cole and Vladislav Namestnikov to one-year deals which means Ondrej Palat is going elsewhere.  Cirelli (8 x $6.25M) also gets an extension done as does Cernak (8 x $5.2M).

Dallas is re-engaging talks with John Klingberg so the Petry option there might not last much longer.

How is TB able to afford this type of money at term on these players? Cirelli is Selke material but hasn't cracked 50pts yet.  Cernak is an often injured, sub-20 minute D.  Holy smokes.

5 minutes ago, mineral said:

How is TB able to afford this type of money at term on these players? Cirelli is Selke material but hasn't cracked 50pts yet.  Cernak is an often injured, sub-20 minute D.  Holy smokes.

These deals are for 2023-24, all three are signed at much cheaper rates for next season.  The answer is that Tampa can't really afford this and they'll lose players next summer to fit these in.

Rangers give up a 2025 2nd and either a 2024 3rd or a 2026 2nd to send the final two years of Patrik Nemeth's deal to Arizona.  He makes less than Armia, for anyone wondering what it might cost to move him.

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Dallas swoops in and steals Mason Marchment away from Carolina, 4 x $4.5M.

Charlie Lindgren gets a three-year deal to be Darcy Kuemper's backup in Washington at $1.1M per year.

12 NHL games since 2018-19.  That deal is madness.