2022 Free Agent Frenzy

dlbalr

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was hearing a lot of talk about how the "middle class" of player might get squeezed a bit on this UFA round.

What a joke. GMs are being as stupid as ever

Even the top class of UFAs should get pay cuts this year.  ex:  the rumour of Kadri for $10 mil x 6+ yrs.  Good luck to him this year.

As a player it would smart to only seek 1-2 years or 3 yrs at the most.  ex: Giroux - 3 yrs @ 6.1 mil - good on him.  

Even as a GM it would be smart not to rush and sign guys to big contracts because there should be better deals available.   It seems like a lot of GMs are treating this as a regular UFA day, when it isnt.  

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, not a UFA signing but Vegas just traded Patches to the Cannes for futures.  Thats wild.  

Moving out money is proving to be very difficult this year.  That's not ideal when the Habs are in a spot where they have to move out money at some point.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Moving out money is proving to be very difficult this year.  That's not ideal when the Habs are in a spot where they have to move out money at some point.

Ya, no kidding. 

Arizona seems to be in a great position.  They have a ton of cap space and if they're smart their price for taking other teams contracts will get steeper and steeper as it gets closer to the season starting.  

I'm thinking some teams that are patient might be able to land players that were making 4.5-6 mil for league minimum.  If some players dont sign for that they wont play anywhere.

This year is an incredibly different situation and from some of the contracts given out so far it seems as if numerous GM's are handling it business as usual like its a regular year.  

Was reading Montreal doesn't want to take back salary on petry's contract which is making it hard to trade him.  Dallas was interested in petry but want Montreal to take back salary. 

If that's the case hold on to him and hope he has a turn around season, then trade him at the deadline. 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Looks like Burns to Carolina which is going to put Petry to Dallas back in the spotlight.

The Stars don't seem to have a contract they obviously would want to get rid of rather than Habs retaining salary.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The Stars don't seem to have a contract they obviously would want to get rid of rather than Habs retaining salary.

For a while now I've been thinking that Petry wont be moved, but so far Hughes seems good at saying the opposite of what he wants so he can get the best deal.  At the moment Hughes needs to dump salary so for the time being it would make sense to not retain any of Petry's salary. 

The problem is if Hughes takes on a contract to trade Petry he will still have to trade somebody for picks so he can resign players.  He'll probably do that 1st because he must sign Dach, and if he trades Petry he has to have cap space to replace him.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The real shock of the day was that MaxPac trade IMHO.

Johnny Hockey basically paying $16 to get the hell out of Calgary was another. 

You mean $16M.

10 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

As a Jackets fan, it still hasn't sunk in that a star UFA not only wanted to come, but turned down more money to do so. 

I really don’t get why he would want to go there? That came out of left field. I figured it would be NJD or NYI, since Philly has no cap space.

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really don’t get why he would want to go there? That came out of left field. I figured it would be NJD or NYI, since Philly has no cap space.

Yeah, I was really surprised it was Columbus. It did come out of left field for sure.  

While some are probably a little disappointed that Hughes couldn't work any magic today, at least he didn't do anything stupid. A lot of bad decisions are made the first day of free agency. 

On the brighter side Florida lost Chiarot, Giroux and Marchment, not unexpected I guess as they didn't have much cap room to work with.  You never know what can happen with them next year,  a couple key injuries, bad goaltending etc,  not that I am wishing misfortune on any team but 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Anton Khudobin

True ... I was thinking multiyear that would equate to retention ... but if Dallas is willing, AK's $3,333,333 for one year might be digestible if the return is otherwise sufficient ... still requires some immediate moves but good in the long-term cap-wise.

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

For a while now I've been thinking that Petry wont be moved, but so far Hughes seems good at saying the opposite of what he wants so he can get the best deal.  At the moment Hughes needs to dump salary so for the time being it would make sense to not retain any of Petry's salary. 

The problem is if Hughes takes on a contract to trade Petry he will still have to trade somebody for picks so he can resign players.  He'll probably do that 1st because he must sign Dach, and if he trades Petry he has to have cap space to replace him.

A factor is also the short-term (next season) needs versus long-term (rebuild) plans.

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... While some are probably a little disappointed that Hughes couldn't work any magic today, at least he didn't do anything stupid. A lot of bad decisions are made the first day of free agency ...

Completely agree.