Petry traded to Pittsburgh

dlbalr

This is a fantastic deal. 

Get close to the same results... 79th percentile WAR (Petry) vs 70th percentile (Matheson) while picking up the player 6 years younger and nearly 1.5 million per season cheaper 

5 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Kind of like this, definitely not upset on first blush

And a 4th rd pick, so seems fine to me.

Will he simply fill in Romanov's spot and minutes?

Seems like hitting a single type of trade. Nothing too get excited over - seems like Matheson has kind of reached his peak, and is most likely a downgrade. More like an addition by subtraction type of move, that gives a bit more cap room.

getting only a 4th rounder is a sad reflection of how much Poehling’s stock has fallen.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

This is a fantastic deal. 

Get close to the same results... 79th percentile WAR (Petry) vs 70th percentile (Matheson) while picking up the player 6 years younger and nearly 1.5 million per season cheaper 

Does Matheson have more upside to get better though?  I think Petry this year is going to be a hell of a lot better than the Petry we saw last year.

if Matheson puts up 30-40 points and Petry gets 40-55, I don’t think the $1.5m savings reflects that we gave up for the better player. Age wise we absolutely came out ahead.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Does Matheson have more upside to get better though?  I think Petry this year is going to be a hell of a lot better than the Petry we saw last year.

if Matheson puts up 30-40 points and Petry gets 40-55, I don’t think the $1.5m savings reflects that we gave up for the better player. Age wise we absolutely came out ahead.

Petry is 34.  I wouldn't bank on him being that much better for too long.  Matheson will pass him within 2 years, and we have him for 4 years on a cheap deal for a top 4 defenceman. 

4 minutes ago, mineral said:

This leaves Savard, Wideman and Barron the right side. Not much else there in the cupboard. More to come to shore up the D i suppose. 

Edmundson could move to the Right as well. 

Something we likely will never know is whether Mrs. Petry had any intention of coming to Montreal ... if not, then they could well have been facing last season all over again. 

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Edmundson could move to the Right as well. 

During Hughes' presser, he said Matheson, Schueneman, Harris, and Leskinen are the lefties that are comfortable playing on the right.  Obviously, three of those can't be counted on for much next season which is why he also indicated that he'll keep looking for RDs although there isn't much out there.

Interestingly enough, I had penned a piece this afternoon that might have went up tonight talking about how the Habs didn't need to move Petry, there were other ways to save money, and they shouldn't be taking on a contract longer than this year as an offset.  Basically, it was okay to take a bad short-term deal but that's it.  Of course, Montreal went the opposite direction with this trade, targeting Matheson and the long-term contract and Hughes stated that he had no interest in taking on a bad short-term deal.  

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Glad to be rid of the pouty baby. Get lost

I'm not a fan of this attitude. He was hardly a baby - off ice and family reasons conspired for him to want out; before that he was a very good player for us who consistently outperformed expectations. I'll remember him streaking down the ice scoring OT winners, and of course turning undead during our finals run.